177: What do you miss?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jethreuel

177: What do you miss?

Post by Jethreuel »

New Page posted.

gaerzi

Re: 177: What do you miss?

Post by gaerzi »

Warm and humid climate is pretty bad for humans. But I guess loroi "warm" is human "temperate".

Luge

Post by Luge »

Please rename this thread to "Hot and Steamy".

L.

Krulle

Re: 177: Hot and Steamy

Post by Krulle »

You can do that to your own posts, if you want to push for it really.

My first thought was, she's sitting like my wife, huddled up, and complaining about the cold...

Women.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Talon, on the other hand, appear to be open and inviting.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Wait a second...
A Taben Leviathan is 20 paces long, if that is the US pace (almost certainly is) then the leviathan is on the scale of a large whale at about 15 meters long, blue whales go about 25 meters long and those are the biggest animals to have ever lived on Earth.

So yes, Talon and Spiral were practically whale hunting as teenagers.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Krulle wrote:You can do that to your own posts, if you want to push for it really.

My first thought was, she's sitting like my wife, huddled up, and complaining about the cold...

Women.
i literally thought the same. All that is missing is her tucking her toes under/on him. :lol:

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

He has a cat did house pets get an extension in life or not? Also are we going to see anything more of Earth in some flash backs?

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Grass...is tamed not domesticated. Unless one refers to wheat and cereals an perhaps bamboo. It doesn't differ from wild varieties, it's only trimmed and maintained in a certain way.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mr.Tucker wrote:Grass...is tamed not domesticated. Unless one refers to wheat and cereals an perhaps bamboo. It doesn't differ from wild varieties, it's only trimmed and maintained in a certain way.
Do you really think that distinction is important in the context of Alex's dialogue with aliens who know nothing about grass? Can you think of a way to structure Alex's dialogue to make that distinction in a way that's short, clear, and doesn't seem totally irrelevant?

Me neither.

peregrine

Post by peregrine »

Also, grass is absolutely tamed. Maybe not all turf grasses, but hybridization and selective breeding has been going on for a long time, for disease and insect tolerance, resistance to hot or cold weather, size and color, most any aspect you'd want to control in a lawn.

They're domesticated in the same way that Canis lupus familiaris is from wolves.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Mr.Tucker wrote:Grass...is tamed not domesticated. Unless one refers to wheat and cereals an perhaps bamboo. It doesn't differ from wild varieties, it's only trimmed and maintained in a certain way.
Do you really think that distinction is important in the context of Alex's dialogue with aliens who know nothing about grass? Can you think of a way to structure Alex's dialogue to make that distinction in a way that's short, clear, and doesn't seem totally irrelevant?

Me neither.
It sounds like mankind waged an epic war on Grass

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Arioch wrote:

Me neither.
Right. Apologies.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:It sounds like mankind waged an epic war on Grass
We'd be extinct I reckon...

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Jethreuel wrote:New Page posted.

Warmth and humidity. Something like a rainforest maybe? That begs the question of how people dress on Perrin.

Sturzkampf

Post by Sturzkampf »

Is this the point where Alex suggests they all huddle together to conserve body heat - and ends up condemning the human race to extinction?

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Arioch wrote:

Me neither.
It sounds like mankind waged an epic war on Grass
Well here in the states we did, just ask cheech or chong :p we are slowly losing that war (which i am not complaining about).

DCR

Re: 177: Hot and Steamy?

Post by DCR »

Time to cuddle! Alexander Porkchop Space Heater Jardin, report for duty.
HAHAHAHA SPACE get it SPACE heater

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I feel concerned for Fireblade... it seems 'sad' that her caste 'seems' to impose upon any social or close interaction. And no one else seems to care at all... only Alex noticed her keeping to herself.

Even hard-nosed serious marine soliders need human closeness and social interaction.

Its sad she 'seems' to feel she must keep herself apart from any close even passing friendships.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I don't think the cultivation of decorative pants would be unheard of to the blue space aliens, or their allies. Even the more carnivorous ones probably have a few they keep for flavoring, texture, smell, or looks.

For crying out loud, the Japanese Samurai thought flower arranging was just as manly an art as cutting someone in half.

As for humans and humid areas, humans are amazingly adaptable and can adjust quite well to different climates over time. After generations these become more noticable (such as darker pigmentation in sunnier areas). This is why you can always tell who the tourist is in San Francisco: THey didn't expect Sunny California to be so cold. At the same time you have people that can go through a summer day in texas without being human BBQ, and someone living in aan idaho winter that is basically the living embodiment of this:

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

SaintofM wrote:I don't think the cultivation of decorative pants would be unheard of to the blue space aliens, or their allies. Even the more carnivorous ones probably have a few they keep for flavoring, texture, smell, or looks.

For crying out loud, the Japanese Samurai thought flower arranging was just as manly an art as cutting someone in half.

As for humans and humid areas, humans are amazingly adaptable and can adjust quite well to different climates over time. After generations these become more noticable (such as darker pigmentation in sunnier areas). This is why you can always tell who the tourist is in San Francisco: THey didn't expect Sunny California to be so cold. At the same time you have people that can go through a summer day in texas without being human BBQ, and someone living in aan idaho winter that is basically the living embodiment of this:

Ohio....