Page 141 Discussion - "I think that was MY head"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 141 Discussion - "I think that was MY head"

Post by Arioch »

The Loroi in the cockpit have been in constant telepathic contact with the Loroi in the rear of the shuttle during the entire encounter.

Gora Relay was (and still is at the moment) under attack by two Umiak divisions (~150 vessels); there was never much chance of it surviving against those odds. Even if it had been able to defeat the initial torpedo salvo (which consisted of several hundred torpedoes, only 16 of which retargeted the shuttle), it still had to face the direct fire of the 150 Umiak warships. Talon's maneuver certainly didn't help the station, but there's nothing she could have done to save it.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Werra wrote:So who's going to be the unlucky one that has to crank those two doors open? One of the guards because the armors have magnetic boots or Cloud because lowest rank?
I'd say Cloud because she's the lowest rank greenshirt on board, or maybe the other soroin guard who's obviously older and stronger would be ordered to assist.

Fireblade herself certainly doesn't strike me as someone who'd do something so pedestrian as manually opening an airlock, much less so using her telekinesis. She'd consider such tasks "beneath" a Teidar and even asking her for help would be a grave insult calling for a duel to the death of the one having the balls or stupidity to ask her. Why should you ask the marines to do it when you already have a person who's specifically trained and is being paid for doing shitwork?

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Werra wrote:Do something quick and easy when litres of sweat make sure you can seal up the cockpit again if necessary? What kind of military have you served in?
Hey now, I never said she'd rip it off her hinges. Just open it. How much could a door like that weight? 200kg? 300kg? Easy. Since telekinesis does not require an anchor point, the lack of an obvious handle also would be no impediment. Simply slide the thing to the right/left.

Also, cranking it back to seal the room in case of a decompression or something similar sounds rather slow...

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The whole point of a pressure door is to resist a rather substantial force. If you could just force it open without disengaging whatever mechanism is holding it closed, it wouldn't work in the first place; the pressure differential would just blow it open.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah... the door even if electrically powered is moved on a mechanical geared track to hold it closed in loss of pressure. Yes, likely its possible Tiedar Fireblade could rip it off its track and part of the wall with it as she can juggle MBT's when she is in a 'righteous fury'... but she may.. just be able to turn the mechanical securing crank to open the door somewhat more rapidly ~ though with a skill of 9- [GURPS], considering a 10 is base for humans she's more likely to deform the manual crank than open the door unless she's really careful. However, there really seems no need for her to do that... the loroi onboard know everyone in the forward compartment is ok... and the only injury a surface abrasion to the head of the ambassador Cptn Jardin.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:The Loroi in the cockpit have been in constant telepathic contact with the Loroi in the rear of the shuttle during the entire encounter.
I wonder, is a Loroi versed in speech capable of performing sanzai and a holding a conversation with an alien (or another Loroi for that matter) at the same time?

Like telepathically transmitting the spoken conversation verbatim to (an)other Loroi?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Simultaneous translation?

I presume, if the sanzai speakers are willing to make long pauses to allow the complexer sending to be translated into words....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:The whole point of a pressure door is to resist a rather substantial force. If you could just force it open without disengaging whatever mechanism is holding it closed, it wouldn't work in the first place; the pressure differential would just blow it open.
Wait till Beryl hits it with her head!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Arioch wrote:The Loroi in the cockpit have been in constant telepathic contact with the Loroi in the rear of the shuttle during the entire encounter.
I wonder, is a Loroi versed in speech capable of performing sanzai and a holding a conversation with an alien (or another Loroi for that matter) at the same time?

Like telepathically transmitting the spoken conversation verbatim to (an)other Loroi?
Sure.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

entity2636 wrote:
Werra wrote:So who's going to be the unlucky one that has to crank those two doors open? One of the guards because the armors have magnetic boots or Cloud because lowest rank?
I'd say Cloud because she's the lowest rank greenshirt on board, or maybe the other soroin guard who's obviously older and stronger would be ordered to assist.

Fireblade herself certainly doesn't strike me as someone who'd do something so pedestrian as manually opening an airlock, much less so using her telekinesis. She'd consider such tasks "beneath" a Teidar and even asking her for help would be a grave insult calling for a duel to the death of the one having the balls or stupidity to ask her. Why should you ask the marines to do it when you already have a person who's specifically trained and is being paid for doing shitwork?
Perhaps but is Alex is an even more ancient type of relic then me, he be a gentleman and help her. That could give an opportunity for a Cloud/Alex interaction. One thing thou, isn't Cloud a Mizol in training? Maybe she do not even know how to crank up the door but, then again even the Loroi should know to give everyone, regardless of cast some basic training in ship operations. It would look bad if only the Gallens knew how to operate a fire extinguisher.

Came to think of it. Alex, as a human used to worse technology may be more used to work in zero g environments. Compare to Star Trek where the characters seem to just have the most basic understanding of what a spacesuit is and and so used to working gravity plating everywhere that they may just be in trouble if gravity goes of. Yes, that's TV and zero g is expensive to simulate on a TV series budget but you get the idea.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

No, Cloud is a Soroin Passet (midshipman) according to the Insider, as indicated by her grass-green service uniform. A mizol at her rank would wear dark green and grey on parade or civilian clothing otherwise. That said, she could very well be an undercover mizol pretending to be a soroin, but that's a long stretch

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

entity2636 wrote:No, Cloud is a Soroin Passet (midshipman) according to the Insider, as indicated by her grass-green service uniform. A mizol at her rank would wear dark green and grey on parade or civilian clothing otherwise. That said, she could very well be an undercover mizol pretending to be a soroin, but that's a long stretch
OK, I misremembered so badly that I didn't even look it up, probably fueld with her acting as an aide for Tempo. Still most points are still there. Regardless of Clouds cast she should know some basics for other casts. If not we could end up having a situation as in an episode of Westworld where a group of "camping" hosts (androids) where sitting around an unlit fire because the only one of them authorized to use the axe had gone missing.

folti

Post by folti »

sunphoenix wrote:Yeah... the door even if electrically powered is moved on a mechanical geared track to hold it closed in loss of pressure. Yes, likely its possible Tiedar Fireblade could rip it off its track and part of the wall with it as she can juggle MBT's when she is in a 'righteous fury'... but she may.. just be able to turn the mechanical securing crank to open the door somewhat more rapidly ~ though with a skill of 9- [GURPS], considering a 10 is base for humans she's more likely to deform the manual crank than open the door unless she's really careful. However, there really seems no need for her to do that... the loroi onboard know everyone in the forward compartment is ok... and the only injury a surface abrasion to the head of the ambassador Cptn Jardin.
She might be able to rip it out, but it's simply unadvised for the simple reason that there is no need to hurry that much (they are not doing any hostile boarding), and the ripping out will certainly damage the shuttle's parts the whole door mechanism attached to, which would weaken the shuttle's frame or hull unnecessarily.
Sweforce wrote:
entity2636 wrote:Came to think of it. Alex, as a human used to worse technology may be more used to work in zero g environments. Compare to Star Trek where the characters seem to just have the most basic understanding of what a spacesuit is and and so used to working gravity plating everywhere that they may just be in trouble if gravity goes of. Yes, that's TV and zero g is expensive to simulate on a TV series budget but you get the idea.
Star Trek is both inconsistent, and full of dumb plot elements. On the contrary, the Loroi who have been a spacefaring for ~1500 years, and spent the last 25 fighting a huge war, will have both better adaptation, more refined technology, and more importantly continuous training, at least for the lower ranks, about working in zero-G. At least for the marines, and the pilots.

novius

Post by novius »

Alex won't be able to do anything in the next scene, much less opening a bulkhead.

Twice, or about three times (if you include pg. 140) she commented/asked him about his physical condition, and in the last panel she does have an expression on her face clearly stating "now stop making a fuss and let me have a look at your forehead, you stubborn male!"

She said so out loud, and Alex by-the-gods better heeds the warning signs else the next time it happens she might even enlist Fireblade's aid to restrain him with her telekinetics.

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Post by Corpsman_of_Krieg »

Awesome new page Arioch. Had to disappear for a while; joys of work and whatnot. Glad to see a largely unexpected outcome to the whole "immediate rendezvous" scenario with the relay station, all the way up to the current page. Very pragmatic, if grim, decision by Talon.

Out of curiosity, how much time passed during Jardin's blackout? A few seconds? Minutes? Maybe more? I eagerly await the next installment in the series!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:Out of curiosity, how much time passed during Jardin's blackout? A few seconds? Minutes? Maybe more? I eagerly await the next installment in the series!
He didn't actually black out, so it's only a few seconds.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I do wonder, did Gora Relay perform evasive manoeuvers? Lateral ones I mean?
If so, Talon definitely is a heck of a pilot to avoid a collision with the station's structures while passing through.

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Post by Corpsman_of_Krieg »

GeoModder wrote:I do wonder, did Gora Relay perform evasive manoeuvers? Lateral ones I mean?
This question in evokes imagery of the Gora Relay's comms officer G-LOCing and doing the "funky chicken" with the comm-link still online...