Chapter 2 cover

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

NOMAD

Chapter 2 cover

Post by NOMAD »

Well chapter 2 has OFFICALLY started

and man Alex doesn't look like he's enjoying Loroi food much, not very digestible as Beryl mentioned. I just love the text at the bottom right, LOLX1000 :lol:

I have a very good feeling about this chapter :D
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

evil713

Chapter 2 list.

Post by evil713 »

as theres no image file downloady thiny, here is the list at the bottom right of the chapter 2 page:

"unknown" - Edible
Eyeball Thing - NO WAY
Brown Cube- Smells Terrible
Puke-Colik Bun- Puked
Clear Jelly Packet- NO
Dark Brown Cylinder- No Taste
"unknown"- Nasty!
"Unknown"-Nausea

also, wow, chapter 2, i never actually thought i would see it. im not dieing or old or anything i just thought i would never see it.

Markward

Re: Chapter 2 cover

Post by Markward »

part of me wonders how much was food, and how much was condiments (Alex stumbling on the loroi equivalent of Tabasco would be priceless) or or something like toiletries that get packaged in with a MRE.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Puke-Color Bun - Puked
And on last line
Small "unknown" - Nausea
Supporter of forum RPG

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Hopefully the rescue team picked up some rations to "research".
Bad thing is that food may contain incredients, which are malignant to loroi, so they don't wan't to give it to bossible saboteur.

Image "All your food was spoiled by neurotoxins and addictive chemicals, so we get rid of them. Now eat your healthy food."
Supporter of forum RPG

anticarrot

Post by anticarrot »

Back to the Special Ambassadorial Quarters I see.

On another topic, I assme the Loroi grabbed as much stuff as they could off the Bellermine, and did so knowing full well they couldn't read alien warning/hazard labels. Wouldn't it be a good idea for Alex to have a look at the wreckage at some point?

This might have been what Beryl was talking about when she mentioned learning English in a day. The ship very likely had several primers starting with *+**=*** logic and working up from there to a conversational english.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Kind of the Scout Corps to provide all of their crew members with a pen!
Ashrain is best rain.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

bunnyboy wrote: "All your food was spoiled by neurotoxins and addictive chemicals, so we get rid of them. Now eat your healthy food."
NOOOOOOO! Not my Deep Fried Bacon Stuffed Cheese Flavored Corn Puffs!
Though clearly the Loroi do not comprehend the danger a Sharpie holds in capable hands :)

And it also appears they are far behind us on some technological fronts... Loroi sandwich technology seems to be lacking. Furthermore, I see no evidence of a Loroi equivalent to the Sharpie... think of all the things that require labeling, think of the implications... all the mixed up underwear in communal laundry, boxes with mystery contents, tupperware left in fridge for years with no identification of the party responsible... Though perhaps the Loroi labeling technology has progressed into a post-Sharpie era :shock:
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Blackbox

Post by Blackbox »

Count Casimir wrote:Kind of the Scout Corps to provide all of their crew members with a pen!
I'm wondering if the Loroi found that pen in the wreckage, or if Alex had it in his uniform the whole time.
(Would a pen like that work after being in hard vacuum?)

The somewhat-smiley face on that one ration box is a nice touch. Is SIBREG a brand or manufacturer's name,
or is it just the type of ration pack inside the box? What about NAGEN? These words aren't in the lexicon.

Those light-blue things look almost like...fun-sized blue Twinkies?

That knife...it came with the ration pack? Hopefully it's dull and made of plastic...

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

The second to last food (the one covered by the lid of the pen) appears to say Tasty on the list bunnyboy kindly righted. If so Alex has managed to find something edible, something with no taste, and something he likes...hopefully they actually provide useful nutrients.

Or maybe the Loroi did salvage a bunch of ration packs and they're just watching him squirm for a while ;)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

tehbeefer

Post by tehbeefer »

Love it! Thanks for the page; it's a rare cover that doesn't make me secretly wish it were a regular update, well done.

Also,
Would a pen like that work after being in hard vacuum?
Probably, but it depends on the insides. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_pen for a real-world example.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

And right back to the security cell he goes. Did they really just toss a bunch of alien food his way and say "Figure it out your own damn self."? I wonder if this is the way they treat all the alien diplomats.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Is. .that a Scotch Egg??

Seriously, it looks like a scotch egg thats been rolled in mushy peas and deep fried..

Thank you Arioch for finally bringing up the food thing!

Hmm, wonder if they ever found something like kindles or data pads, or just anything that might have music, songs, recreational material on for Alex, and something for him to keep his diary in..

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

DevilDalek wrote:Hmm, wonder if they ever found something like kindles or data pads, or just anything that might have music, songs, recreational material on for Alex, and something for him to keep his diary in..
Some crew member's sordid stash of digitized elf... Let's just hope/assume personal materials were thoroughly searched/approved prior to the Scout Corps mission. Though judging by that thing he is holding he could attempt to bounce/juggle it.

Now that we have the food question resolved another pertinent problem arises. It has been a while since Alex has bathed/washed his clothes. How rank is he getting?

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

And I will say it before anyone else does.

Are the Loroi bathing facilities communal!

Hehe, personally, I think not, and they might even have separate secure bathing facilities for prisoners, er, diplomatic envoys, anyway.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Grayhome wrote:And right back to the security cell he goes. Did they really just toss a bunch of alien food his way and say "Figure it out your own damn self."? I wonder if this is the way they treat all the alien diplomats.
How exactly would you do it. Beryl and Fireblade can't exactly help him figure out whether or not he likes something, and the results of eating things might be embarrassing. The only downside I see with leaving him to it by himself is the danger of some sort of poisoning, but I'd bet there's someone outside the door watching a monitor in case he keels over.

Additionally Loroi females are uncomfortable eating around males, cultural quirk.
Ktrain wrote:Now that we have the food question resolved another pertinent problem arises. It has been a while since Alex has bathed/washed his clothes. How rank is he getting?
His clothes were cleaned (Page 34), chances are very good that he got a scrubbing in the medical bay, probably not since then though so he's working on 24-48 with no shower and no clean underwear (depending on when his underwear was given back), but his clothes are less than a couple hours cleaned (I'd guess less than half an hour as of the end of Chapter 1 but it's hard to tell exactly how long the combat took) and he's spent most of that 24-48 hours out cold.
DevilDalek wrote:Are the Loroi bathing facilities communal!
Almost certainly for the rank and file onboard a ship, of course Alex won't be using a communal facility and if he is then he'll probably have it to himself.
Hehe, personally, I think not, and they might even have separate secure bathing facilities for prisoners, er, diplomatic envoys, anyway.
Possibly, though passengers are probably rare, and if not they'll probably have officer's facilities with much lower utilization that he'll probably be allowed to use.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

On the plus side, they should have a blood sample from when they first picked him up, so at least they know the chemical composition of what his normal blood stream should look like. That'll give them some idea of what things he needs to be eating... They just won't know what he doesn't need to be eating.

junk

Post by junk »

I'm more surprised by his apparent lack of any facial hair. It's been a couple of days since he shavedlast probably, so unless the scouts give their men some long term depilation, he ought to getting prickly. :P

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

ImageThe food containers themselves appear to share Alex's lack of enthusiasm.
Markward wrote:or something like toiletries that get packaged in with a MRE.
Alex leaves his cell and approaches Beryl and Fireblade as they are engaged in telepathic conversation after they brought him some food to sample.

"Do you have anything else to eat? Anything else at all? That was terrible. Especially the pudding."

"Pudding?"

"Uh... vaguely sweet-tasting yellowish emulsion, very gooey, served in little cylindrical box things, no spoon to eat it with."

Beryl pauses for a second, and then stares, mortified. Fireblade begins to snicker.

"We... perhaps... may need to return to our medical facilities."

"Huh?"

"This way. Immediately."

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

fredgiblet wrote: Almost certainly for the rank and file onboard a ship, of course Alex won't be using a communal facility and if he is then he'll probably have it to himself.
Then why do I have a feeling Fireblade will been watching his every move...