Chapter 2 cover

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Mayhem

Re: Chapter 2 cover

Post by Mayhem »

If he is doing proper edibility testing then that list of 8 items will have taken a while.

Assuming the "Eyeball Thing", "Brown Cube" & "Clear Jelly Packet" were discarded on opening that still leaves 5.

We can assume his period of unconsciousness means he can start immediately,
the contact poison tests could be run in parallel using different parts of the body,
so that is 8 hours,
the lip, tongue & chew tests, run sequentially adds about 3 hours,
assuming the puke and Nausea response soon after swallowing a small amount adds 16 hours,
and another 16 hours for the "unknown" marked edible.

Depending on how far he got with "Dark Brown Cylinder- No Taste" & "unknown- (N/T?)asty!"
it would have taken somewhere in the region of 2-3 days as a minimum to test that variety of food.
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)

Twinkee

Post by Twinkee »

I see that Alex, in his latest attempt to leave a lasting impression with his captors - ehem - his new friends, has graffitied his sleeping mat.

I am reminded of the scene in Waterworld where The Mariner takes back some of his crayons, but Enola has another concealed in her clothing and goes right back to doodling on his boat.

Is there perhaps a disciplinary hair chopping on the way.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Ktrain wrote:
fredgiblet wrote: Almost certainly for the rank and file onboard a ship, of course Alex won't be using a communal facility and if he is then he'll probably have it to himself.
Then why do I have a feeling Fireblade will been watching his every move...
Because she is nice girl and wan't to be helpful if that handsome alien have some problems with the three sea shells.
Supporter of forum RPG

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

bunnyboy wrote:
Ktrain wrote:
fredgiblet wrote: Almost certainly for the rank and file onboard a ship, of course Alex won't be using a communal facility and if he is then he'll probably have it to himself.
Then why do I have a feeling Fireblade will been watching his every move...
Because she is nice girl and wan't to be helpful if that handsome alien have some problems with the three sea shells.
Mandatory.

It'd be hilarious to have a tongue-in-cheek reference to the three sea shells in-comic as well :D
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

DevilDalek wrote:Are the Loroi bathing facilities communal! Hehe, personally, I think not, and they might even have separate secure bathing facilities for prisoners, er, diplomatic envoys, anyway.
I would expect nearly all shipboard military bathing/sanitary facilities to be communal in some respect, but of course the brig will have its own separate secure facilities.
junk wrote:I'm more surprised by his apparent lack of any facial hair. It's been a couple of days since he shavedlast probably, so unless the scouts give their men some long term depilation, he ought to getting prickly.
I thought about this a while ago, and decided that the details of personal hygene and sanitation would not be brought up as issues (as much as possible) in the comic. We can infer that these things are being taken care of off-camera. Similarly, Alex won't be growing a beard. We can guess that he had some sort of depilatory treatement, or that he has requested and got access to some sort of Loroi apparatus (or maybe he's just not "manly" enough to grow a beard yet).

The deterioration of Alex's uniform over the course of the adventures to come is, however, something I do plan to address in the comic.
Blackbox wrote:The somewhat-smiley face on that one ration box is a nice touch. Is SIBREG a brand or manufacturer's name, or is it just the type of ration pack inside the box? What about NAGEN? These words aren't in the lexicon.
Sibreg is a fruit. Nagen is a product from the nuts of a palm/conifer-like tree of the same name.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Maybe in the future there's a pill for that? You're going on a long space flight and you don't want to have annoying facial hair or maybe you don't want to sweat profusely and stink up your cabin, take a pill and it lasts for a week or a month or whatever.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Maybe in the future there's a pill for that? You're going on a long space flight and you don't want to have annoying facial hair or maybe you don't want to sweat profusely and stink up your cabin, take a pill and it lasts for a week or a month or whatever.
I prefer the "Alex is not a real man theory" for the lack of facial hair. Query, do Loroi males grow facial hair or are they just pretty boys :)?
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Actually, there are pills for that right now.
And it makes sense to give male members of ship crews dihydrotestosterone inhibitors if you've got a bunch of young, testosterone-driven male officers working in close proximity with equally young female officers.
But Alex told Beryl that he wasn't sterilized. I'd think he'd lump chemically induced libido reduction in with that.
Plus, things could go pretty badly in a while if Alex's supply of inhibitors blew up with the Bellarmine; he'd shortly be re-experiencing a fully awakened libido for the first time in a long time, while completely surrounded by attractive young women, while simultaneously needing to be at his most mentally disciplined.

But, well, he's a blond. They have lower hair concentrations and less hair/skin contrast than real people. His stubble would have to get pretty long for it to really become noticeable at a glance. And he's young enough for him to have far less than a full beard in the first place.
Arioch wrote:I thought about this a while ago, and decided that the details of personal hygene and sanitation would not be brought up as issues (as much as possible) in the comic. We can infer that these things are being taken care of off-camera.
Aw.
Come on.
Would the Loroi even need showers installed on their ship in the first place?
I can't imagine the Loroi being specifically engineered to have all the symbiotic relationships with bacteria colonies that humans developed, and the low vinegar smell of our own acids isn't really all that unpleasant, barring urea. Seems like it might be an unnecessary extravagance, unless there are particularly filthy jobs aboard the ship.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Arioch wrote: Sibreg is a fruit. Nagen is a product from the nuts of a palm/conifer-like tree of the same name.
You didn't. You made the classic anime "Mikan" box?
Ashrain is best rain.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Ktrain wrote:NOOOOOOO! Not my Deep Fried Bacon Stuffed Cheese Flavored Corn Puffs!
Leave that to the pro! (real thing start at about 2:35 min)
DevilDalek wrote:And I will say it before anyone else does.

Are the Loroi bathing facilities communal!
actually am wondering if he actually have any facility in this "cell" when fireblade first came into his cell it seem like there weren't any.

But considering the "puke cake he puked" i certainly hope they put some sanitary facilities.
Ktrain wrote:Then why do I have a feeling Fireblade will been watching his every move...
Fireblade IS NOT alex's stalker.

;)

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm guessing that the facilities in question hide themselves in the wall when not in use. Maybe. Thats a very sci-fi thing to do anyway.

Also: I prefer Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time myself...

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Karst45 wrote:
Fireblade IS NOT alex's stalker.

;)
Of course not.

That would be Beryl of course :P

Fireblade: <<What are you doing?>>

Beryl: <<Observing Humanity for research purposes>>

Fireblade: <<27 Hours a day?>>

Beryl: <<SCIENCE!!>>

Fireblade: <<Has he done anything interesting yet?>>

Beryl: <<He did burst into a song and dance earlier>>

Fireblade: <<What.>>

Beryl: <<I'll show you>>

Fireblade: <<OH GOD MY BRAIN>>

Spiral: <<OH GOD WHAT THE *%$@# IS THIS @#$%>>

Talon: <<KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!>>

Tempo: <<This must be some new telepathic weapon deployed by the enemy!>>

Stillstorm: <<Murder. Death. Kill. Murder! Death! Kill! MURDER! DEATH! KILL!>>

Tempo: <<We're going to need to rinse out the ambassadorial quarters with a hose once she's done...>>
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

....Rickrolled on my own forum! Oh, the humanity!

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

I've already paid appropriate penance by Rickrolling myself :P

And then washed the palette with incredible amounts of awesome :twisted:

My word of honour the above link is NOT a Rickroll. ;)
SpoilerShow

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:Also: I prefer Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time myself...
Nice! because every dish could use a little bite of RAGE!!

Sprawl63

Post by Sprawl63 »

Doesn't Beryl's character sheet have her with a trait that has her extra curious of xenos?

Is that official?

JeroOfBaconGrease

Post by JeroOfBaconGrease »

"Alas poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio."

By the looks of it, he hasn't tried the blue twinkies yet, who knows they may taste just like them. Hey, maybe he does get a view-screen later.
There ARE FOUR Lights!

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Sprawl63 wrote:Doesn't Beryl's character sheet have her with a trait that has her extra curious of xenos?

Is that official?
She's a xenophile (which has a specific meaning in GURPS that is NOT "wants to fuck every xeno she comes across"). The officialness of the char sheets has never been denied by Arioch (that I've seen), but of course there's always the possibility that they're outdated.

Markward

Post by Markward »

I'm guessing that the facilities in question hide themselves in the wall when not in use. Maybe. Thats a very sci-fi thing to do anyway.

Also: I prefer Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time myself...

Hell yeah! Predinner mayo is good for you!

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I noticed that Beyrl's character sheet has a "Sensitive about Youth" trait as a disadvantage, I was wondering if perhaps that translates to the Loroi trait of protectiveness toward males?