Chapter 2 cover

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Count Casimir

Re: Chapter 2 cover

Post by Count Casimir »

So, Arioch, did they actually e-mail you the archived thread?

Also, Riess, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. And you started a new webcomic?!
Ashrain is best rain.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Hey Count! Where ya been fella...? We miss you at the Deep Strike PbP Game! :)

Hope life is treating you well! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Wait, /tg/'s allowed to have Outsider threads again?
And this one actually got archived?
This, I have to see.

[after reading]
...I gotta say, that was the last fucking thing I expected.
fredgiblet wrote:Meh, an amusing joke for a thread, but the constant repetition is annoying.
Fredge. Friend. Buddy.
I haven't been in any Outsider there for, uh, pretty much since /tg/'s mod decided to remove my efforts.
It's been about half a year and eleven pages.
That feels so weird to say about Outsider. Eleven pages in half a year. That's kind of amazing.
There were about half a dozen threads in which I posted beards, ever. Over the course of the nine months or so between when I started doing them and when I left the place. One of those instances really shouldn't count, as it was nothing but a hollow repost of that deleted thread, which I only posted because someone--whom I had actually assumed to be you yourself--asked me to.

I'm honestly shocked that anybody else even remembers them. I've done a lot of funnier things that just up and died.

Only in one of those threads were the beards the actual point of the posts in question. Every subsequent time that I can remember, they were ancillary. Usually the actual point was to discuss aspects of Outsider. Thirty posts of math-related stuff without the relevant reference images, that would've just been cruelty, and even there, the (bearded) pages I posted were ones that I was specifically referencing.

So, since you said that some guy has still been posting Outsider whenever it updates, that tells me that you should have had about twice as many beard-free threads as beard-inclusive ones since the beards started. Though there were probably many more beardless threads on top of that obligatory update thing; your estimate of "one guy" feels off, as does your estimate of one thread per update, and I could probably check on easymodo to see how many times the most recent page has been posted on /tg/ if I felt like arguing the point.

Since I only remember posting the beards about six times total, and since I remember three or four threads per update being the rule as people slowly discover that Outsider updated at different points in the week (or perhaps there really is just one guy, but he really really wants to talk about it) I think there have probably been more threads just on pages 90, 91, and the chapter 2 cover than there have been threads with Loroi beards.

I would not call that constant repetition.

I was also rarely the one to bring the subject up. I don't know if that counts for anything in your book, though.

I never dumped just for the sake of dumping beard images. I had done pretty much every image from the temp folder and all of Arioch's extras (none of the fanart, though; I decided early on that defacing Arioch's art is a grievous enough offense in its own right, sufficient for any one vandal) by the time I left, but only a tithe ever hit /tg/, in part because I feared oversaturating it and irritating everybody. This is part of the reason other people, in /co/, had to persuade me before I tried posting my calculations a second time after the moderation team hit that thread.

If you feel irritated by the beards even after half a year of absence and only having seen a fairly small sample of them in the first place, then it seems to me that it is the beards themselves, and not "constant repetition," that you dislike. It's okay to say so. You've liked a number of other Outsider-related things that I put on /tg/ (which is the reason I assumed it was you who told me to try again), and to dislike this one little thing would not hurt my feelings. It is a pretty weird thing. I understand that my personal sense of humor is usually something that's best kept as just that; personal. It's okay to dislike some jokes.

If, however, what you actually meant by "constant repetition" was that other people, people who aren't me, would talk about the beards or ask about them in Outsider-related threads all the time without actually contributing or something, then there's really only one thing to say to that.
fredgiblet wrote:4CHAN!

Seriously what did you expect?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

It's one thread per update. There might be more on other boards (possibly /co/) but on /tg/ it's one thread per update, and I'm fairly certain it's the same person posting every time. YOU might not be posting the beards but in pretty much any thread that pops up OTHER people start posting them and/or demanding they be posted.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

fredgiblet wrote:It's one thread per update. There might be more on other boards (possibly /co/) but on /tg/ it's one thread per update, and I'm fairly certain it's the same person posting every time. YOU might not be posting the beards but in pretty much any thread that pops up OTHER people start posting them and/or demanding they be posted.
Three threads for page 91.
I'm far too lazy to try looking for every other page or anything, but, I think they'll follow a similar pattern.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

For 2 of the last 3 years I was unemployed, I was spending 10+ hours a day monitoring /tg/ to one degree or another. 1 thread per update. Page 91 might have gotten 3, but damn near every other page got either 1 or 0.