Homeworld 3 Announced

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SVlad

Re: Homeworld 3 Announced

Post by SVlad »

Gudo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:22 pm
Never managed to beat HW2 either, but it was more of a story issue for me. HW2 uses adaptive difficulty scaling where the larger your fleet is, the more enemies spawn.
All missions in HW2 was designed and heavy scripted to be rushed by player. You stop charge for a moment and immediately overwhelmed by waves of enemy forces. The HW 1 allowed to build slowly and the gameplay was slow and, uhm, viscous (I'm not sure it's right word) that, I think, correspond with story of journey across the galaxy and exploring deep space.
Arioch wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:44 am
Karan S'jet seems to be getting younger despite however many decades are passing... and apparently sh'es been working since the end of Homeworld 2 as a fashion model.
Good clinical immortality tech. The galactic civilizations seems to have high enough technology level. Back at Kharak the plugging into mothership was considered irreversible. But at Higara she was successfully unplugged.
Outsider in Russian

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

SVlad wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:02 am
Arioch wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:44 am
Karan S'jet seems to be getting younger despite however many decades are passing... and apparently she's been working since the end of Homeworld 2 as a fashion model.
Good clinical immortality tech. The galactic civilizations seems to have high enough technology level. Back at Kharak the plugging into mothership was considered irreversible. But at Higara she was successfully unplugged.
She's regular Ash Ketchum. In all seriousness though, she may have been de-integrated from the mothership, but I don't think she was ever fully "unplugged." Just double-checked some media, and she's always depicted as bald and plugged into something. Even in the Homeworld 1 ending cinematic, she's trailing wires that clearly go to some sort of equipment.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

How many years have passed? They could have invent something. She is national hero, seems plausible she has access to top med tech.
Outsider in Russian

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

I guess I'm just a grumpy old man yelling at clouds. I don't like it when well established character designs get waifu-washed. The old design clearly reflected her character as an integrated trans human, and still remained somewhat mystical. She really had the feel of being not so much Fleet Command as a bona fide religious leader. It was unique and stood-out especially considering how she's one of the few individuals actually depicted throughout the franchise.

New design looks like it's optimizing pretty over unique, which is a shame. Especially if the game shifts to a character driven narrative. I mean, they even had her put on some eye shadow before she popped into the bacta tank. I disagree vehemently with the idea that important women can't also be pretty, that's not why I don't like the new design. I don't like the new design because it feels like some marketing exec was concerned that gamers wouldn't like her if she didn't look dateable.

At least they didn't double down on concepts like this.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The kickstarter for the Homeworld board game is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... board-game

If nothing else, it has pretty plastic miniatures.
8b822a4d-5656-4a4f-9e08-c74ea03a7e1d.jpg
8b822a4d-5656-4a4f-9e08-c74ea03a7e1d.jpg (340.59 KiB) Viewed 3902 times