179: No finer place for sure, downtown

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: 179: No finer place for sure, downtown

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:Do they have orbital stations visible to the naked eye, like Scaffold over Kharak?
Not really... because of the ring in low orbit, most of the large stations are out around the outer moon.

Angry_Americanok

Post by Angry_Americanok »

Are those some swoopy boats down on the water, or Absolute Units of submarines? They look like they'd be difficult to load and unload if they were cargo vessels of some kind, or am I overthinking the convenience of it considering the technology they have available?
Also 10/10 on the one in the distance with the ram bow, no matter what it is.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Well, we know what everyone's knew wallpapper is.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Angry_Americanok wrote:Are those some swoopy boats down on the water, or Absolute Units of submarines? They look like they'd be difficult to load and unload if they were cargo vessels of some kind, or am I overthinking the convenience of it considering the technology they have available?
Also 10/10 on the one in the distance with the ram bow, no matter what it is.
I see there only one giant submarine-like ship. All other constructions are piers and breakwaters with roads and lights.
Outsider in Russian

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Quickdraw101 wrote:I'd kill for a view like that.
I agree, that is a mighty fine as- ohh, you mean the city.

Yes, of course. Great view!

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

Having a deja vu moment - was this city modeled on Capetown, South Africa? :?:

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Continuity wrote:Having a deja vu moment - was this city modeled on Capetown, South Africa? :?:
I zoomed in the picture and saw the headlights of cars forming lit up roads the way it does if a picture are made with long exposure time. A bit odd for a bit of memory UNLESS Tempo substitutes the city with her own memory of a long exposure picture she seen of the same view. It also confirms that the loroi have cars... Not that Alex will get any of that unless someone shows him a picture of the city.
Last edited by Sweforce on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Sweforce wrote:
Continuity wrote:Having a deja vu moment - was this city modeled on Capetown, South Africa? :?:
It also confirms that the loroi have cars... Not that Alex will get any of that unless someone shows him a picture of the city.
Not necessarily, or exclusively. It could be mostly cargo traffic and public transport.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

GeoModder wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
It also confirms that the loroi have cars... Not that Alex will get any of that unless someone shows him a picture of the city.
Not necessarily, or exclusively. It could be mostly cargo traffic and public transport.
I include those in what I ment. Whatever they have they do have headlights, that is the point. Private or communal, on tires, or rails doesn't matter, they do shine up the streets. The drivers may be people, or maybe computers, doesn't matter.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I tried adjusting fireblade a bit:
Not sure how to make the shading work around her cheekbones and her adjusted eye, so it looks kinda wonky.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Was definitely not expecting Fireblade to be that open about it.

Also I haven't been on here since I started using Lastpass. Oof.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:I tried adjusting fireblade a bit
If you're going to do that, you'd need to shrink her eyes down to a more realistic size. If there's not an eye-width between the eyes, they look too close together.
fredgiblet wrote:Was definitely not expecting Fireblade to be that open about it.

Also I haven't been on here since I started using Lastpass. Oof.
Good to see you. Hope you're well.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Well enough! I stopped reading all the webcomics I was following during one of your hiatuses and have never gotten into the habit of coming back. Gonna try to get in the habit again.
I've got college in addition to work these days so I don't spend nearly as many hours on the internet as I used to.

I noticed in your last Patreon update that you said you're getting to the point where you can go full-time. Congratulations!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
If you're going to do that, you'd need to shrink her eyes down to a more realistic size. If there's not an eye-width between the eyes, they look too close together.
True, also she gets sort of a quasimodo look. I tried shrinking it a bit and then moving it back and forth but I ended up paralyzing myself .

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:
Arioch wrote:
True, also she gets sort of a quasimodo look. I tried shrinking it a bit and then moving it back and forth but I ended up paralyzing myself .
Fireblade doesn't like being messed with, and her telekinetics work through a screen as well, apparently.
Just be happy nothing worse happened to you.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I kinda like that smug look on her face. Its a defeat of sorts, trying to be defiant to the pinky but she still lost.

Sturzkampf

Post by Sturzkampf »

For me, that expression says 'why is it always me that gets the nutter on the bus?'