Outsider 181: Foot-in-Mouth Disease

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Jagged

Re: Outsider 181: Foot-in-Mouth Disease

Post by Jagged »

Arioch wrote:The Loroi have a society in which being insensitive is considered a virtue; it's a form of being honest.
I've always thought it funny that we teach children that truth is a virtue then tell them off when they are "rude" :lol:
Yet they all learn that good manners requires a certain kind of lie, without a teacher ever explicitly saying so.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

A colleague of mine said, she was shocked when her kid on the Sunday visit to grandma didn't say thanks for the cake, to which the kid answered (in presence of grandma): "But I didn't like the cake. It was not good.".

So, in the car home, repeated next Sunday towards Grandma, she told her son, it's a kind of politeness to say thanks, even if you did not want the cake or didn't like it, because Grandma put hours into making the cake for them.
So, after the cake, the kid politely said "Thanks, Grandma, for the not tasty cake."....

"Kindermund tot Wahrheit kund."
(According to a forum entry on my favourite online translator, this is translated into English as
"Out of the mouth of babes (and sucklings)",
referring to two biblical passages (Psalms 8:2 and Matthew 21:16).)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

folti

Post by folti »

kiwi wrote:Yep. So a human would be thinking “this is a job for the comfortable uniform and fluffy warm jacket.” But I understand the Loroi place special cultural significance on their caste body armour... in which case Fireblade going off without hers might indicate an unplanned departure.
Eh, she still have her color coded uniform showing her caste and rank, and her main weapon(psi amp) on her, which is more than enough for duties where combat is not expected.

And as with veterans in human militaries, who stopped caring long ago, I can see her not giving a single damn about a lot of things.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krulle wrote:"Kindermund tot Wahrheit kund."
"Out of the mouths of babes" is the common English version.