Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CrimsonFALKE

Re: 182

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

A comic on my birthday interesting good to know that the Loroi are a bit aware of him not knowing things like that.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:A comic on my birthday interesting good to know that the Loroi are a bit aware of him not knowing things like that.
Happy birthday!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Long term memories are especially crazy like that. I'm generally pretty good at accurately remembering those random things I remember at all, but I guess I tend to be pretty harsh in disregarding memories that are even a little bit fuzzy.

When studying and identifying false memories, one of the most common tricks is to start leading people though a memory, and then ask them "and now, do you see yourself? what do you look like?" When recalling such memories, people will often say "yes." Even though it should be obvious that you wouldn't see yourself in the 3rd person in a real memory.

But not even counting long term memory, stuff like deja vu, or even I think schizophrenia works on a similar principle, the effect can happen at the exact moment the person is experiencing the stimulus.

For schizophrenia, the research I saw on that showed that there's a part of the brain that checks if a stimulus is something the person did themselves, whether it's internal monologue or making physical contact. And when that part of the brain isn't working right, there are situations where you can poke yourself and it'll feel like someone else is poking you. Like a stranger coming up behind you and poking your back is a very different sensation than poking yourself.

Curlysan

Post by Curlysan »

Interesting. My first thought was along the lines of STOS episode, "The Menagerie". Also, is the image Alex saw not actual, but representational? So many questions this episode raises.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:A comic on my birthday interesting good to know that the Loroi are a bit aware of him not knowing things like that.
Happy birthday!
thanks

MrBenis

Post by MrBenis »

I suppose this is when Alex will get treated to Fireblades nightmares when they go to sleep. Foreshadowing intensifies

Also I used to have a forum account here many years ago was there a server migration or something, I had to make a new one.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Curlysan wrote: Also, is the image Alex saw not actual, but representational? So many questions this episode raises.
Well the image we saw of what Alex saw had Fireblade in it.

So its might be an image from someone else.

Of course it might just be an artistic interpretation of Fireblade's memory.
Last edited by Jagged on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sturzkampf

Post by Sturzkampf »

I suspect Alex is very bad at poker.

Rasayana

Post by Rasayana »

Subject: 182
novius wrote: For something different - is it just me, or the way it's drawn, or does it really look like both Talon and Spiral had the "target locked" look on their faces? Especially Talon :)

No, it's not just you. And also have a look at Berryls face as she say that they may have to stay there for a long time.

Looking at: Competition
Thinking: "A long time indeed *sigh*. I don't need sansai to know what you guys are up to."

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Happy birthday!
thanks