Page 189: GO AWAY!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: Page 189: GO AWAY!

Post by Werra »

No Alex, don't go any closer. You aren't wearing a mask!
SpoilerShow
It was that or a joke about no-means-no.
Do these two look malnourished to you? The two of them are obviously bruised and dirty, but otherwise don't appear to be in poor health.
So either there's still some food to go around, opportunity to scavenge or it's early in the extermination campaign.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

It sort of looks like he's in some kind of wasteland. Maybe they're escapees from a medical laboratory.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I like the artstyle.

Q: the mom and child don't have hair. I find it interesting that they have access to scalp shaving, while trying to survive and stay together.
I'd expect priorities to shift in such cases, and hair to grow abundantly.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

It looks like they have some sort of tattoos on their foreheads, like an Umiak identification number. Maybe these Loroi escaped from some prison camp.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:10 pm
I like the artstyle.

Q: the mom and child don't have hair. I find it interesting that they have access to scalp shaving, while trying to survive and stay together.
More likely, their heads were shaved in order to more easily open their skulls to examine their brains, if the umiak are trying to figure out telepathy.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Such practices might be a secondary reason for Fireblade to have such long hair in the present.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

So. How do we call them?

Krin

Post by Krin »

Are the outer lines of the speech bubble meant to portray fear of some kind?

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Krin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:33 pm
I feel they imply scared whispering, however much this can be applied to sanzai.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:10 pm
I like the artstyle.

It's improbable that this is a mother and her child considering the 'male access' scheme and the probable ages of these two. Depending on the time frame of the 'event' (since its a dream after all), these two may as well be two children in every way that matters; the older one at roughly the same age as Cloud (eight, nine at the most) while the young one could be around early in her early puberty (four? five?). Just two kids trying to survive.
Depending on how this went down they probably hid and crawled away from danger when the extermination started but they didn't last long.

It also should be pointed out again that this is Fireblade's dream, with Alex along for the ride in her shoes. Her memories of the events may be garbled up more than a bit.
Mk_C wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:24 pm
So. How do we call them?
Victims?

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Krin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:33 pm
Think it might portray telepathy.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Hasn't Cloud essentially finished post-Diral education and is on her tour of duty before she becomes a proper Pideir? That would put her at 11 - 12.

I wonder how long it was between the happenings in Fireblades dream and the Loroi retaking Seren.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

IIRC, Fireblade is about 25 (Earth years?) at 'present' (2160 CE). The Umiak occupied Seren between 2139 and 2145 CE. So she was between ages 4-10 during the occupation.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

GeoModder wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:16 pm
IIRC, Fireblade is about 25 (Earth years?) at 'present' (2160 CE). The Umiak occupied Seren between 2139 and 2145 CE. So she was between ages 4-10 during the occupation.
Word from god is that 'Seren was her Diral' so yeah; she saw hell as a child.

DCR

Post by DCR »

GeoModder wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:16 pm
So.... Fireblade is the child. I'm just wondering how much control Jardin has in this not-dream - yelling out after hearing a warning in a very bad environment isn't the best. If he's in full control and that's his personality, "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself" is the nicest way I can describe his behavior.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

dragoongfa wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:37 pm

It's improbable that this is a mother and her child considering the 'male access' scheme and the probable ages of these two. Depending on the time frame of the 'event' (since its a dream after all), these two may as well be two children in every way that matters; the older one at roughly the same age as Cloud (eight, nine at the most) while the young one could be around early in her early puberty (four? five?). Just two kids trying to survive.
Depending on how this went down they probably hid and crawled away from danger when the extermination started but they didn't last long.

It also should be pointed out again that this is Fireblade's dream, with Alex along for the ride in her shoes. Her memories of the events may be garbled up more than a bit.
Interesting observation of the younger one's hypothesized age. Other interesting details I noticed is that Fireblade herself was born in 2135 and the occupation took place as early as early 2139, meaning that Fireblad would have been approximately four years of age. Someone on the patreon page even commented on how the clothes the younger one is wearing looks similar in colour to those Fireblade was wearing in the fond memory she shared.

Though this could all be coincidental, the younger one could be Fireblade herself.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

dragoongfa wrote:
Indeed, a much easier explanation for a degree of resemblance (including eye colour) would be them being sisters or cousins.
dragoongfa wrote:
Victims?
They might have spoken names, aside from the ones that Umiak have scribbled across their foreheads.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Dorfington wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 pm
Though this could all be coincidental, the younger one could be Fireblade herself.
Wrong face, and especially - wrong eye colour.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Blue is the civillian color, so the bigger one might be a caretaker and the small one might be a young Teidar. Fireblade uses the same clothing in the Teidar academy.