Page 191: SHIK!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CrimsonFALKE

Re: Page 191: SBIK!

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Darroth wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:19 pm
Talon was on Alex's right shoulder on page 183
His left our right actually

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

mwightman wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:08 pm
I wonder if his body jerked when his eyes opened. When I have dreams of such nature, usually my eyes open the same time my legs jerk or sometimes my entire torso jerks/convulses much like getting an electric shock.
I was thinking the same. Pretty sure I would spasam awake.

Loroi obviously sleep very soundly. Or do when snuggled against something warm :shock:

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:06 am
Despite having beam weapons it chose to use a blade how personal a killing method.
Regardless of how artificial that armour may be, isn't it the case that they naturally have spines on their arms there?

Which if so, probably means using the thing is instinctive.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

So, just before the slumber party started, Fireblade flew off to relieve Flint on watch.
Later on Alex appearantly hitches on Fireblade's nightmare, waking up on a crucial point. At which point we find Flint instead of our fearless Tenoin resting on Alex' leftside. Yep, a couple hours have definitely passed if there were at least two watch changes.

Also, some mod please change the topic title to "Shik". What kinda sound is "SBIK" anyway?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I like "SBIK"...

Sounds less "wet" than "shik".
as if the blade also passes through a bone.

OTOH, We don't know if that's a blade sound anyway, it may be the sound of our favourite Teidar's telekinetic force getting through the armour.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

That is definitely "shik", because the font is "Incy Wincy Spider" - Arioch just used capital S and K together with lowercase h and i:
SpoilerShow

dragoongfa

Re: Page 191: SHIK!

Post by dragoongfa »

Fun fact, this is the third time I changed the name.

First time I wrote SBIK because the letter does look like a lowercase b. Then I had doubts and changed it to SHIK, a few minutes later the doubts grew stronger and I changed it back to SBIK. So here it is, now it is a SHIK and I won't be changing it again.
Last edited by dragoongfa on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

I'm not sure why we care.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Sbik is a dyslexic slur. I didn't think Arioch had it in him.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Werra wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:30 pm
Sbik is a dyslexic slur. I didn't think Arioch had it in him.
Well, sucks to your assmar.

Now, on to more important questions - was the cuddle puddle shuffle voluntary, predatory, or accidental? Does Fireblade deign to speak with the pink thing, try and succeed at synapse swapping, or try and fail and not bother trying communications again? Where is Parat Tempo and Cloud?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Either Talon's replaced Fireblade on watch while Flint replaced Talon on pillow duty, or Fireblade is sleeping through her watch.
Unless this isn't Fireblade's nightmare.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Fireblad relieved Flint, then someone else relieved Fireblade, which leads to the pilots being on watch. Alex had been sleeping for at least a few hours.

Krulle

Re: Page 191: SbIK!

Post by Krulle »

I never disagreed that it is "shik". I just like "sbik!".
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Jagged wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:21 am
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Despite having beam weapons it chose to use a blade how personal a killing method.
Regardless of how artificial that armour may be, isn't it the case that they naturally have spines on their arms there?

Instinct or revenge I wonder do they feel hate if they are born and built so unnaturally?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:17 pm
Jagged wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:

Instinct or revenge I wonder do they feel hate if they are born and built so unnaturally?
Are they even capable of maintaining such feelings? Do ant or worker drone bees resent being formed into what they are? (Or even ant and bee queens?). Do people born with disabilities resent being born with them? Or more appropriately in this case, do circumcised men resent their parents (or culture) for changing their bodies in accordance with their cultural rules?
Making them hate their existence and then directing that outwards is probably difficult and I'm not sure it's even possible, it's more the kind of answer third parties come up with when describing the actions of their enemies.

Werra

Post by Werra »

boldilocks wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:43 pm
Do people born with disabilities resent being born with them? Or more appropriately in this case, do circumcised men resent their parents (or culture) for changing their bodies in accordance with their cultural rules?
Yes!
boldilocks wrote:
Making them hate their existence and then directing that outwards is probably difficult and I'm not sure it's even possible, it's more the kind of answer third parties come up with when describing the actions of their enemies.
If not for the ban on discussing politics I could give you quite a few examples of just that.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

boldilocks wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:17 pm
Jagged wrote:

Are they even capable of maintaining such feelings? Do ant or worker drone bees resent being formed into what they are? (Or even ant and bee queens?). Do people born with disabilities resent being born with them? Or more appropriately in this case, do circumcised men resent their parents (or culture) for changing their bodies in accordance with their cultural rules?

Not likely for the bugs. Hell of there are Americans who hate their nation for not being an oppressive nanny state then yes to everything else.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Mk_C wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:00 pm
That is definitely "shik", because the font is "Incy Wincy Spider"
I did wonder if Arioch was giving us clues with his use of this font, and was only using it with the Umiak. But on reflection I think its just his go-to "creepy noise" font :)