Page 199: MAD about stuff

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

grixit

Re: Page 199: MAD about stuff

Post by grixit »

I love how the surface of the buggy ships are covered with buggy protuberances.

Waiting for the officer to say the code phrase which means "the enemy must not gain possession of the alien".

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

projekcja wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:40 am
I noticed there are a bunch of already fired ordnance in the background - missiles with blue trailing thrusters above the Umiak ship, and some without a blue trail below it. Have they fired on the Shuttle already? Are they just ships far away in the background?
I took those as shuttles sifting the stuff flying around.

And then the Umiak ship would be gigantic compared to the glorified EVA-suits.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Is salvaging wreckage something that's part of what a gatecrasher force will do? That is, they push into enemy territory, bringing tankers and whatnot, but also grab whatever they can use from destroyed enemy ships? And how much usable salvage will even be left from a destroyed ship?

Lol, just realized that the previous diary entry was in 2012.

Page 50 journal entry: 2008
Page 100 journal entry: 2012
Page 200 journal entry: 2021

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Okay, that was a sudden end to the chapter. And with a nice view of an Umiak vessel to boot! :D
Looks like this blockade force (or at least part of it) doesn't have anything better to do then comb through their area of operations.

Possible scenarios for chapter 3:
The Umiak are elated to finally get hold of what they think is a Loroi male of the species.
Or they recognize Alex for a member of a new alien species, especially once Kikitik-27 reports get distributed throughout the Umiak divisions at Leido.
Or else another one of the TCA scouts has already made contact with the Umiak, and Alex will be treated with the 'respect' due to a new Umiak client race.
And a number of other possibilities of course.

Happy to hear you're continuing the comic in the current format, Arioch. I definitely like it as it is.

A question regarding the engine 'flaps' on the Umiak vessels. IIRC, on Loroi vessels, a partial function of their engine flaps are to generate a field to boost their output.
So what is the function of the flaps on Umiak vessels? I recall they have something called a 'plastron field' to boos their engines?

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Arioch wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 am
Mercy Machine wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 am
I wonder if the Umiak can detect life-signs, or will they have to board?
While "life signs" are a popular trope in SF, I'm not really sure how heartbeats and the like could be detected by an enemy across a distance of vacuum. Sound is mostly out of the question, unless your sensors are so sensitive and accurate that you can detect the disturbance of a heartbeat in the hull of the target ship itself. Body heat is another possible detection medium, but while you might be able to get a clear infrared signature of a body through something like drywall (thinking of Terminator here), I doubt it's quite that easy through a shuttle hull, especially when the living inhabitants are hiding beneath the cryogenic fuel storage.
But it is possible to use see-through-wall radar systems. They might have used them once they are close enough?
Although the target logs would give them the hint that the shuttle did not jumped and likely to have remained behind. They might have traced debris or chem-analyzing fuel-leaks near the destroyed relay.
Last edited by Dan Wyatt on Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverhawk100

Post by silverhawk100 »

Well, a literal decade later and Chapter 2 is finally finished. No, really, August 22, 2011 was when page 92 was posted. From a casual fan, congrats. And I mean that sincerely. This comic has been a reminder to me that sometimes stubborn persistence (and outside motivation) is useful in a creative endeavor.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Krulle wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 am
Missed the diary entry for this page:
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/diary07.html

I agree with: stick to the format.

If colour is important, then reducing to black/grey/white will not be a smart move.
The artists satisfaction with his works are important for a continuous flow of works, as that motivates the artist.

And I agree, it's unlikely to be a time saver.

And if a completed comic should ever be converted to a dead-tree-pulp version, then it would have to be done then.

And coloured pages attract more readers than black&white pages.
I enjoy the comic in color as well, but am eager to see this awesome project finished. If drawing did not take as long as Arioch claims, my suggestion would have been to not invest as much in backgrounds and only include detailed backgrounds when necessary. Like in manga. Then again Outsider is what it is because it does not try to be a manga. The market's got too many mangas already. The artistic style of Outsider's characters is what makes it special.

Another suggestion would have been that Arioch could finish pages as black and white and have them on display in Patreon. It may not have the same effect as color pages, but at least the story could move along. And go back and render the pages in full color at the completion of each chapter.

Another crazy idea if the comic gets published. The Outsider comic in black and white. And then later, the Outsider special edition in color. Hell, I'd buy both, then again that's just me.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Snoofman wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm
Krulle wrote:

If colour is important, then reducing to black/grey/white will not be a smart move.
The artists satisfaction with his works are important for a continuous flow of works, as that motivates the artist.

And I agree, it's unlikely to be a time saver.

And if a completed comic should ever be converted to a dead-tree-pulp version, then it would have to be done then.

And coloured pages attract more readers than black&white pages.
I enjoy the comic in color as well, but am eager to see this awesome project finished. If drawing did not take as long as Arioch claims, my suggestion would have been to not invest as much in backgrounds and only include detailed backgrounds when necessary. Like in manga. Then again Outsider is what it is because it does not try to be a manga. The market's got too many mangas already. The artistic style of Outsider's characters is what makes it special.

Another suggestion would have been that Arioch could finish pages as black and white and have them on display in Patreon. It may not have the same effect as color pages, but at least the story could move along. And go back and render the pages in full color at the completion of each chapter.

Another crazy idea if the comic gets published. The Outsider comic in black and white. And then later, the Outsider special edition in color. Hell, I'd buy both, then again that's just me.
Just consider an Outsider comics with the aesthetics of Blame! by Nihei. It'd be awesome!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I only now noticed that there was a spotlight being shined on the Loroi shuttle.
I visual inspection a typical way that salvaging/security-checking wreckage is done?

In terms of using see-through-wall radar systems, it's not clear how that would work in an instance where what you are trying to spot is inside a vehicle that's been designed to keep radiation out in order to not have the crew die from radiation. And you'd also need a ship on both sides of the object you're trying to see through.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

So its finally over the chapter at least. I just hope that bugger's ship moves on and it just driving by the road kill.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 am
Mercy Machine wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 am
I wonder if the Umiak can detect life-signs, or will they have to board?
While "life signs" are a popular trope in SF, I'm not really sure how heartbeats and the like could be detected by an enemy across a distance of vacuum. Sound is mostly out of the question, unless your sensors are so sensitive and accurate that you can detect the disturbance of a heartbeat in the hull of the target ship itself. Body heat is another possible detection medium, but while you might be able to get a clear infrared signature of a body through something like drywall (thinking of Terminator here), I doubt it's quite that easy through a shuttle hull, especially when the living inhabitants are hiding beneath the cryogenic fuel storage.
If you were an allied ship that might be easier to do you have the same systems and computers so doing a ship wide scan using your own IFF to cross check for life. An enemy ship may not be so lucky.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:03 pm
A question regarding the engine 'flaps' on the Umiak vessels. IIRC, on Loroi vessels, a partial function of their engine flaps are to generate a field to boost their output.
So what is the function of the flaps on Umiak vessels? I recall they have something called a 'plastron field' to boos their engines?
They're for thrust vectoring. The Plastron mechanisms are internal.

ESP

Post by ESP »

dragoongfa wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:16 am
Krulle wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:57 am
Hmm, either the Umiak have good scanners, or have been hinted at where to look.
Or their Lotai devices allowed them to locate Sanzai as well.
Or their monomaniacal natures being what they are someone realized that the shuttle could fit through the gap of the station's outer ring and as thus could survive. Then said someone run the velocities involved and started plotting a potential trajectory for the shuttle.

Extra points if that someone was ordered to do that because:
A) Talon and the captain of Clearbrook talked about an ambassador being aboard the shuttle.
B) Said shuttles are rare and are known to be used by high ranking officers, making the presence of a VIP aboard all the more likely.
projekcja wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:40 am
I expect Kikitik-27 is capable of such deduction.
Indeed.

Kikitik-27 is of the opinion that Strike Group 51 found something interesting. I think someone is tying up loose ends...

[Edit] I like Outsider's current style as well. Outsider stands out because it doesn't cut corners.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Glory to Chapter 3. Glory to the Empire!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Well, Arioch already hinted we'll get to see large telepathic amplifiers.
Either this group gets back to the Loroi empire quickly enough, or the Umiak have those as well.

My wild guess:
SpoilerShow
Together with the red harpie's telekinetics, Alex' superior tactics, and the boldness of a young team not afraid to die and desperate, this small group will conquer the Umiak heavy, and use it to flee towards the Loroi space.
The PocketHistorian(TM) will do his part and interface the computer systems to allow Alex (or Tempo) to fly the Umiak heavy.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Krulle wrote:

Also agree.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Krulle wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 am

My wild guess:
SpoilerShow
Together with the red harpie's telekinetics, Alex' superior tactics, and the boldness of a young team not afraid to die and desperate, this small group will conquer the Umiak heavy, and use it to flee towards the Loroi space.
The PocketHistorian(TM) will do his part and interface the computer systems to allow Alex (or Tempo) to fly the Umiak heavy.

The A-Team in Space 8-)

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

raistlin34 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:12 pm
Krulle wrote:

My wild guess:
SpoilerShow

The A-Team in Space 8-)
With a Mc Gyver (in the form of the PocketHistorian(TM)) to complement the team.

kyosanim

Post by kyosanim »

raistlin34 wrote:
Krulle wrote:

My wild guess:
SpoilerShow

The A-Team in Space 8-)
So who is who? Alex might be Hannibal and Red be the face, but who is gonna be Murdoch and B.A.?

chanman

Post by chanman »

kyosanim wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:56 pm
raistlin34 wrote:
Krulle wrote:

My wild guess:
SpoilerShow

The A-Team in Space 8-)
So who is who? Alex might be Hannibal and Red be the face, but who is gonna be Murdoch and B.A.?
I'm pretty sure Red would be BA. No one else seems to be as up fo' pitying the foo' :lol:
Murdoch would be one of the pilots, and Spiral seems appropriately wacky
Tempo seems to have overall command and seniority, so she's Hannibal
Alex is probably Face - he's the new alien in the neck of the woods everyone seems to be curious about, after all :D