Outsider Musical Character Portraits

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Re: Outsider Musical Character Portraits

Post by Bamax »

This music may seem odd, but it is my fan theory that among the first Loroi talking was common, since I presume their creators relied mostly on speech but gave the Loroi an upgrade with sanzai.

This represents my fan thoughts as to what occurred in the first Loroi epoch leading up to and including the fall of their civilization and their creators... the Soia.

I mean the Loroi are a created race with several unusual abilities most do not have, so that must mean something.

I do not know what went wrong that lead to a full on doomsday scenario of mulltiple solar systems being orbitally bombarded and civilizations going extinct, but obviously something went terribly wrong sometime after the Loroi were created.

Not saying it is the fault of the Loroi, but who knows? I would not be suprised if they shared at least some of the blame.

I would not be surprised if some of the same reasons Lord Of The Flies went badly are the same reasons the Soia and Loroi fell.

Ruling through fear and cruelty instead of logic and compassion where possible lead ultimately to a wildfire that ran out of control.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I am aware that sometimes warrior training can be tough... even going into Lord of The Flies types of situations in the worst case scenarios... this song is for all Loroi who survived their training and graduated to become warriors in spite of how tough or dangerous it was.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

A little Mongol metal would be fun for Umiak scenes.

And if the Loroi were Siberian Tatars, maybe...

(just posting 'cause I love this band 😍)

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:41 am

Lol. The mongol froggish accent is so thick I have trouble taking him seriously as a tough guy... but the Umiak have weapons that speak their strength for them so there is that.

Have yet to listen to the other but I will.

It is also a bit shocking how something straight outta Mongolia sounds like it could have came out of some Kansas rock band... minus the Mongolian.

EDIT: Just listened to the 'Loroi' music. Cute gal.. also slightly hypnotic music with the repeating lyrics.

That is officially the first time in a while I have seen Asians being cute and playful... since my only interaction is the usual dour folks at restaurants.

I think they were Asian or mongolian anyway... almost native American... but I am guessing Mongols?

EDIT: Watched more of their videos.. Otyken. Amusing... the lyrics are quite simple, banal even.

Probably the point. I am glad the siberians seem like they have a healthy sense of humor lol.

Yet they also seem like the type to fear if you ever mistreated one of their own.. or god forbid..
some dad's favorite daughter.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:41 am

I friggin love The Hu, great band. Metal and Throat Singing is a match made in heaven.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:13 am
I think they were Asian or mongolian anyway... almost native American... but I am guessing Mongols?
The Otyken members are Chulym, which is a group of Turkic peoples (also called Tatars) in Siberia. The Turkic peoples are generally regarded as a separate group from the Mongols, but there was a lot of overlap and change is control of regions between these two broad groups, and I think it's obvious from their appearance and similar cultural elements (such as the throat singing) that the groups mixed a lot.

The decorative elements on their clothing are very similar to those of the Ainu, the Caucasian peoples of northern Japan. Apparently the Chulym even have legends saying that they are the ancestors of the Ainu. That doesn't mean it's true, but it seems they've noticed the similarities as well.
Bamax wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:13 am
EDIT: Watched more of their videos.. Otyken. Amusing... the lyrics are quite simple, banal even.

Probably the point. I am glad the siberians seem like they have a healthy sense of humor lol.
I think most of the Otyken songs are based on traditional songs (jazzed up a bit for modern times). Old songs tend to be very basic.

"Are you going east? Be very careful! Be very careful!"

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Yeah... I saw that one. To be honest all their videos had me laughing... especially the one about the girl saying she her boyfriend got her a ring the size of the moon over and over... as well as saying quite frankly that "Your name is (forgot it) and I am going to keep repeating it"

Must have been an inside joke lol.

Post by avatar576 »

The YouTube algorithm kept suggesting Mongolian folk music to me a few months back, and I've been listening ever since.. This must be why o_O. And I'm now a HU fan as well.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

The second I heard this track I knew it was Fireblade's theme

edit: replaced previous video

And even got inspired enough to do a quick loop:

Last edited by wolf329 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Fireblade confronts Dio.

Dio: "Oh, you're approaching me?"
*Suddenly, he bursts out in flames and gets rammed through a building*

Fireblade: I don't even need to get close to beat the crap out of you!

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:48 pm
but obviously something went terribly wrong sometime after the Loroi were created.
Loroi feminism... It began with voting rights. Fifty years later they complained about the wage gap between them and the Barsam heavy infantery. Another fifty years later they complained about not having equal representation. When the soia told them that they could not be part of the governing body because they were a slave race, all hell broke loose. First the loroi burned their bras, then they organized topless protests. But it was when the hashtag #killallsoia appeared on soia social media, that the soia's fate was sealed. The hashtag #notallsoia was ignored by the furious, rampaging loroi.

The last two soia had a conversation about it. "Why did we upgrade the women again and not the men?" Said the one. "Dunno, but I pity the human males. When they develop civilization, this is going to happen to them too." Said the other.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

G. Janssen wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:50 pm
Bamax wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:48 pm
but obviously something went terribly wrong sometime after the Loroi were created.
Loroi feminism... It began with voting rights. Fifty years later they complained about the wage gap between them and the Barsam heavy infantery. Another fifty years later they complained about not having equal representation. When the soia told them that they could not be part of the governing body because they were a slave race, all hell broke loose. First the loroi burned their bras, then they organized topless protests. But it was when the hashtag #killallsoia appeared on soia social media, that the soia's fate was sealed. The hashtag #notallsoia was ignored by the furious, rampaging loroi.

The last two soia had a conversation about it. "Why did we upgrade the women again and not the men?" Said the one. "Dunno, but I pity the human males. When they develop civilization, this is going to happen to them too." Said the other.
Humor is natural for you I see. Glad your able to entertain the world with it.

We all have gifts and I think it's better to use them than let than rot

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

This music well illustrates the point of view of the Umiak who survive Tempo's sabotage.

Due to spoilers I think it well fits. There will be blood, there will be death.

Their goal is quite simply to end everything here... cannot let their enemies take their vessel, and worse yet they have to face off against an uber psychokinetic enemy.

It is no longer about simply us vs them... it's about ending everything ASAP or else their enemies may just sabotage their winning war... the very war they were bred to win.

Literally their entire purpose in life is on the line here.

So if they fail here... they have just failed at life.

Survival no longer matters so long they win at destroying their ship before their enemies make off with it.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"Loroi feminism... "

Feminism is unnecessary when the males are not oppressing you... indeed, cannot oppress you.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Demarquis wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 am
"Loroi feminism... "

Feminism is unnecessary when the males are not oppressing you... indeed, cannot oppress you.
The Soia.

The creators of the Loroi... who we know so little about.

Only that they fell from power and are more or less no where to be seen

Werra

Post by Werra »

I might have posted this already, but I can't remember where. Here is the best song I found to represent Fireblades berserk state. You can even feel the exhaustion at the end.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHjJN65l3Y

This likely captures the spirit of some Umiak home division, if a bit rude. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1et8ZrzYYQ

Moon Moth

Post by Moon Moth »

Kikitik-27 and the Superheavies (which would make a great band name):

(The Wolf, Andante Molto No. 19 (french horns), Peter and the Wolf, Sergei Prokofiev)

I think it's got the ominous mood of the massive fleet slowly emerging, and the gradual zoom in on the superheavies, then a cut to Tempo, and then Kikitik-27 showing up on the screen. You can almost hear the transitions from one panel to the next.

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider085.html

"Alert, Fifty-One! We are picking up a new group of signals."
"A second enemy fleet is emerging from the disc! This group is significantly larger than the first."
"Twenty-two quincunx formations around a core group of thirty heavy vessels. Confirm at least ten of those are superheavies."
"The new group is not under acceleration. They are just drifting there at the disc interface."
"[forces of the hierarchy] finding it necessary/appropriate to request to engage in communication contacts [the enemy forces] to request to engage in communication setting trade band requesting communication... that which speaks to [the enemy forces] exists [kikituk-27-tikhak-tikkukit] respond presently..."