Inertial Dampeners Analyzed

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

If you asked a Loroi if they had to only pick one, inertial damping or artficial gravity which do you think they would say? Probably artificial gravity.

Nonetheless I have analyzed inertial damping and have come to two conclusions:

1. It is the key component of virtually all engines and plasma weaponry in Outsider-verse.

2. If one goes by the dictionary and how inertial dampers work as per the trope, they would not help with surviving high acceleration at all....since so long mass stays the same so does potential weight under gravity no matter how high. 30g's with inertial damping would feel the same as without it, the only difference being the energy cost to do so would be much less.

WHY?!

If you reduce inertia of a given mass, that means you reduce the resistance to movement of a given object.

At least going by what the dictionary says inertia is.

Which means inertial dampeners LOWER the amount of energy required to move....well, anything to higher velocities than it would normally require.

And if inertia required to move an object is less, less acceleration is required to push it to higher accelerations. Less g-force will push it to higher g-force than would be normally required.

If I flick an ant it will fly across the room because of the huge inertia difference between my finger and the ant. If I flick a human they won't even budge.

Conclusion: Inertia dampeners may be a staple term in scifi, but how they are actually used via the trope makes no sense to me if one reads the words 'inertia' and 'dampen' in the dictionary and makes logical conclusions.

Perhaps the correct term would be called....grav-stabilizers?

Since we already know artificial gravity fields are used. Grav-stabilizers would increase gravity in a given direction to prevent excess gravity in another direction from harming the crew.

So what would inertial dampeners (reductors) be good for? Lowering fuel requirements for ships. Lowering waste heat too...provided inertial damping does not cause excess waste heat, which we have to assume it does not. Also lowers the engine heat required for high thrust/high efficiency.

Also good for shooting stuff to high velocity like plasma etc with reduced energy budgets.