Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Post by dragoongfa »

SpoilerShow
Yep, the damn chittering is turning Alex into a telepath :P

Seriously, I have a working theory (that I planned to use in a story) that certain states of mind would allow the Lotai to be pierced/lowered a little.

There are more than a few rituals throughout the world that bring one's mind into a state that is best described as hyperactive mania, those who experience it describing it as a 'transcendence of the mind' allowing them to experience the world differently.

Looks like I got extremely close to the mark.

Jagged

Re: Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Post by Jagged »

dragoongfa wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 am
SpoilerShow
A farseer. I wonder if he will be able to farsee humans?

Werra

Post by Werra »

A few important things are revealed on this page.
1. The shuttle seems to be within the Umiak ship now.
2. Tempo must have convinced the hardtrooper that the vestibule is empty and then have hid somewhere else.
3. Alex can sense other Loroi than just Fireblade if his mind is emptied.

To me this shows not that Alex is a telepath, but that he can receive the signals the Loroi are putting out. Or some of the Loroi would react to this.
Apparently it works like a camera. Strong signals can be perceived almost instantly, while weak signals require a long exposure time.

Also, despite fondling his spacesuit for hours and thus enjoying the benefits of a far stronger connection, Beryl still didn't receive any mention from Alex.
You would assume that after Fireblade, the one Loroi touching him would appear first. Beryl = worst girl

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The scene isn't done yet, he will probably sense Beryl, Tempo and hopefully a still living Cloud when his 'attention' shifts to them.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Oh, he might sense Beryl yet. But since she is touching him, she should have appeared long before the others if her signal was as strong as the others. You know Alex would have made a special mention of the first other Loroi he was able to sense.

What I really want to see is his reaction to Tempo. Especially when she finally makes a serious attempt of breaching his Lotai reaching out to him.

Mango Mel

Post by Mango Mel »

Hmm, are we sure Cloud is still alive? After Arioch telling someone in another post that laser pistols make a "krak" sound, and seeing that very sound on page 204, I'm expecting her to be gone.
I could be wrong, of course. "KRAK" could've been from the shuttle being opened up (the air pressure dropped afterwards). Hopefully, Tempo's plan had included a way to keep her alive.

Edit:
What I really want to see is his reaction to Tempo. Especially when she finally makes a serious attempt of breaching his Lotai reaching out to him.
Ditto!

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Im sorry to think, but Cloud might have taken her own life to make the ruse seem more real.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Let's see if he can actually sense the other Loroi's presence, or if he is like a targeting radar, highlighting objects that are reflective. I guess Fireblade is the strongest blip, either because she has the biggest psi-signature or because he is attuned to her frequencies.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Lets be fair to Beryl, she is just doing what she is supposed to. Is she doing something we perceive as bad, yes, but from (reasonable) perspective of the Loroi, she is just being cautious, not malicious, she still likely, likes Alex, but her people are at risk. Now Talon on the other hand, she seams to be completely unguarded and just going with the flow, as well as best girl.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Is this how Khalkha divisions sustain themselves? By salvaging wreckage for supplies?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

boldilocks wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:14 am
Is this how Khalkha divisions sustain themselves? By salvaging wreckage for supplies?
Not gonna happen, the Loroi ships will rather self-destruct, than be boarded and captured. Also, the usual AM blast after a ship or station founders leaves little usable wreckage behind.
But even if they do find something, it's not like the spare parts will adhere to the same standards or that the clothing will fit.

Wait a moment, what about the flash-frozen meat :shock:

Werra

Post by Werra »

Highland 7 is a hybrid shuttle that's also usable in an atmosphere. She's not only large, but also speedy. When the Umiak entered the system, she was en route from SG 51 to a courier ship, while the unit she belonged to was docked at a supply depot. That signals high value cargo.
Of course the Umiak will salvage that one.

Arent

Post by Arent »

dragoongfa wrote:
SpoilerShow

Seriously, I have a working theory (that I planned to use in a story) that certain states of mind would allow the Lotai to be pierced/lowered a little.
Well, but he is perceiving *them*, not the Loroi getting access to his mind. So, Alex apparently is really some kind of telepath/whatever. Or Humaniti in general is weird.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

dragoongfa wrote:
SpoilerShow

There are more than a few rituals throughout the world that bring one's mind into a state that is best described as hyperactive mania, those who experience it describing it as a 'transcendence of the mind' allowing them to experience the world differently.

Looks like I got extremely close to the mark.
I am starting to think that it's a situation that his brain is slowly starting to learn how to process this previously unknown input - a bit like a human infant does not see clearly when it's born (supposedly anyways). Who knows what would have happened if Alex would have been raised in an environment that Loroi were present in his daily life...

We believe the human brain 'reorganizes' itself during dreams - storing important memories, deleting unimportant ones, and other stuff. Perhaps this telepathic ability is related to these functions in an humanl. But I do like this development.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:42 am
I guess Fireblade is the strongest blip, either because she has the biggest psi-signature or because he is attuned to her frequencies.
Since the headband/amplifier is strongly illuminated in the picture, this indicates that the amplifier might play a role.

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Regarding Beryl, note that Alex says he 'sees' the Loroi. So whatever this input is, it could be his brain is processing it as thought it were from his eyes - kind of like when you are in a truly dark room (or a cave, say) and wave your hand in front of your face. There's no light, you can't actually see your hand, but your mind expects your hand to be there and many people would swear they see their hand there. So it may be something like that right now, but that means that with Beryl behind him, Alex might not 'perceive' her.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Arent wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 pm
Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:42 am
I guess Fireblade is the strongest blip, either because she has the biggest psi-signature or because he is attuned to her frequencies.
Since the headband/amplifier is strongly illuminated in the picture, this indicates that the amplifier might play a role.
Yeah, the PsiAmp is shining bright like a star, the silhouette of Fireblade is being illuminated by it like a reflection nebula, to Alex, unamplified Fireblade might be 'Dim Reddish' in color.

I wonder how Tempo's Psy-signature will look!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

One the one hand alex looks like he's achieved the state of CHIM.

On the other...

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Would be pretty funny if Alex ends up becoming a farseer.

But one that can only detect Loroi.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

boldilocks wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:28 pm
One the one hand alex looks like he's achieved the state of CHIM.

On the other...
LOL!
Imagine what will happen if some Loroi enters a Human mind during the CHIM state! ;)