Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

raistlin34

Re: Page 209: Damn bugs and their chatter! Putting Alex to sleep!

Post by raistlin34 »

I'm not sure if keeping this development from the Loroi is going to benefit Alex on the long run. Fireblade isn't going to be a happy elf if she ever finds out the pink alien entered her mind and watched her memories without being detected or telling her after.

Again, having such ability makes Jardin both a security risk and a mystery to be cracked. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Last edited by raistlin34 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arent

Post by Arent »

raistlin34 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 am
I'm not sure if keeping this development from the Loroi is going to benefit Alex on the long run. Fireblade isn't going to be a happy elf if she ever finds out Jardin entered her mind and watched her memories without being detected or telling her after.
The point is rather the exitement of the readers. Would they be more thrilled if the Loroi view him similar to their male 'Farseers', potentially growing to respect these puny humans? Or would it be more exciting if he had a secret he keeps from the Loroi, Umiak & Historians?

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

raistlin34 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 am
I'm not sure if keeping this development from the Loroi is going to benefit Alex on the long run. Fireblade isn't going to be a happy elf if she ever finds out Jardin entered her mind and watched her memories without being detected or telling her after.
He did not enter Fireblades mind, it's her who is unable to keep her cyber-insectoid nightmares to herself, unconsciously sending them to everyone. The same goes with the picture of the sunset over Deinar, as she sent that voluntarily as an answer to his question.

Tempo, however, will be not happy. An "invisible" telepath is like the ideal spyware, listening to sanzai, yet remaining undetected. The Mizol would go to any lengths in order to acquire such an ability or to prevent others from having it.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:54 am
Right. So it ought to be clear (if we are to assume that the author is not a moron) that this is not what's happening.
Ouch

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I wonder if the umiaki could do asmr videos and get their resources that way.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

My first thought is that physical contact does have some influence on how Alex is perceiving the other Loroi, and maybe all of them huddled together to sleep is what caused Alex to be able to sense their presence. But he also didn't see anything when Beryl was touching him quite deliberately.

Perhaps what he is sensing is Fireblade's perception of her colleagues, rather than sensing them directly.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

icekatze wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm
hi hi

My first thought is that physical contact does have some influence on how Alex is perceiving the other Loroi, and maybe all of them huddled together to sleep is what caused Alex to be able to sense their presence. But he also didn't see anything when Beryl was touching him quite deliberately.

Perhaps what he is sensing is Fireblade's perception of her colleagues, rather than sensing them directly.
Or he could be developing a skill he never had to use before, basically his brain is making new connections to adapt to a new sense he never had the ability to develop before. Kind of like how with the right equipment you can learn to have sonar or a magnetic sense.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 pm
I wonder if the umiaki could do asmr videos and get their resources that way.
Sounds like they'd end up making a bunch of Klik-bait. :lol:

Arent

Post by Arent »

icekatze wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 pm
hi hi

He saw fireblade. And in fact, he saw fireblade even in the very beginning, while waking up on their ship.

So, obviously, Alex had *always* this ability. It's only growing stronger.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Here we see Alex' ability for the first time, on page 18(!) in chapter 1:

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider018.html

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

This of course means that Fireblade is hot.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Only in your mind...

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Ithekro wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:04 am
Well, she is capable of Pyrokinesis, thus she can set the dancefloor on fire. Literally!

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:22 am
Ithekro wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:04 am
Well, she is capable of Pyrokinesis, thus she can set the dancefloor on fire. Literally!
That would certainly create some panic at the disco...

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

My last thought for this page is that if the Umiak have got hold of some Human's and discovered this ability, maybe even started growing their own, this will be very bad news for the Loroi

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Without active psi abilities of their own, how would they find out? Keeping a captive Loroi around with any form of strong telepathy would be an unacceptably huge risk barring some sort of Sword of Damocles plot device to compel obedience, so it's not probable to use one as a proxy to discover that.

Edit: Though Alex having knowledge of the Lotai now puts him at risk of summary termination rather than potentially letting that knowledge fall into Umiak "hands".

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Overkill Engine wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:58 am
Keeping a captive Loroi around with any form of strong telepathy would be an unacceptably huge risk
GIven they "captured" entire Loroi planets and as we have seen, kept at least some of them as prisoners long enough to tattoo them, I personally think its safe to say the Umiak are fine with keeping a few of them around.
From what we know of the Umiak I suspect they just see it as more genetic resource for use and experimentation.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I think he meant that Umiak ships don't keep Loroi prisoners on hand. Interstellar travel in Outsider is rather slow; it would take weeks or months to even get humans captured from the scout missions to places where Loroi prisoners are, if they still have some, and then weeks or months to get get whatever tech they discovered back to the front line. And even if they knew what they were looking for (and they don't), they'd have to somehow get the captive Loroi to cooperate, and then somehow find out why humans are resistant. There simply hasn't been enough time for that to be the explanation for what's happening in this Umiak offensive.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:46 pm
I think he meant that Umiak ships don't keep Loroi prisoners on hand. Interstellar travel in Outsider is rather slow; it would take weeks or months to even get humans captured from the scout missions to places where Loroi prisoners are, if they still have some, and then weeks or months to get get whatever tech they discovered back to the front line. And even if they knew what they were looking for (and they don't), they'd have to somehow get the captive Loroi to cooperate, and then somehow find out why humans are resistant. There simply hasn't been enough time for that to be the explanation for what's happening in this Umiak offensive.
I know that you weren't likely to go down the rout of the Umiak using humans to hide there ships somehow, but still I dreaded the posibility, but than you for confirming it can't be that case.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

asaenvolk wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 am
I know that you weren't likely to go down the rout of the Umiak using humans to hide there ships somehow, but still I dreaded the posibility, but than you for confirming it can't be that case.
He is merely confirming that the Humans, if there are any, cannot be the ones from the Scout Mission. However, this does not exclude Humans completely, you know? :twisted:
There are always other possibilities, a lost colony, established by the Soia and discovered by the Umiak, for example.