210 Far-sensing?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Re: 210 Far-sensing?

Post by boldilocks »

Dammit, just got a page 211 false alarm in my RSS feed

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 am
page210_1_annotated.jpg
(I'm here to help.)
Alex is vibing in Beryl's lap! :P
Also,
DAVE!!!!!!!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:19 pm
Dammit, just got a page 211 false alarm in my RSS feed
Oops, sorry about that. I was fixing an earlier error and forgot I had adlready added the next entry.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 am
(I'm here to help.)
Goddamnit Dave. :D
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

It does look like most of the chairs have been removed since their departure of Tempest.

Arioch, does the cargo hold have another hatch directly on the outer hull? I kind of wonder if the Loroi loaded the shuttle the same way as the Umiak are unloading it now, but with the chairs already in place.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 am
Arioch, does the cargo hold have another hatch directly on the outer hull? I kind of wonder if the Loroi loaded the shuttle the same way as the Umiak are unloading it now, but with the chairs already in place.
Yes.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

There's that old joke about everyone knowing Dave, so how about a plot twist? Not only does Alex know Dave, they're best buddies! After their re-union, Dave will give him a ride back home and even help broker an alliance with the Umiak.
Everyone knows DaveShow
Dave was bragging to his boss one day, "You know, I know everyone there is to know. Just name someone, anyone, and I know them."

Tired of his boasting, his boss called his bluff, "OK, Dave, how about Tom Cruise?"

"No dramas, boss, Tom and I are old friends, and I can prove it." So Dave and his boss fly out to Hollywood and knock on Tom Cruise's door, and Tom Cruise shouts,

"Dave! What's happening? Great to see you! Come on in for a beer!"

Although impressed, Dave's boss is still skeptical. After they leave Cruise's house, he tells Dave that he thinks him knowing Cruise was just lucky.

"No, no, just name anyone else," Dave says.

"President Obama," his boss quickly retorts.

"Yup," Dave says, "Old buddies, let's fly out to Washington," and off they go.

At the White House, Obama spots Dave on the tour and motions him and his boss over, saying, "Dave, what a surprise, I was just on my way to a meeting, but you and your friend come on in and let's have a beer first and catch up."

Well, the boss is very shaken by now, but still not totally convinced. After they leave the White House grounds, he expresses his doubts to Dave, who again implores him to name anyone else.

"Pope Francis," his boss replies.

"Sure!" says Dave. "I've known the Pope for years." So off they fly to Rome.

Dave and his boss are assembled with the masses at the Vatican's St. Peter's Square when Dave says, "This will never work. I can't catch the Pope's eye among all these people. Tell you what, I know all the guards, so let me just go upstairs, and I'll come out on the balcony with the Pope." He disappears into the crowd, headed towards the Vatican.

Sure enough, half an hour later Dave emerges with the Pope on the balcony, but by the time Dave returns, he finds that his boss has had a heart attack and is surrounded by paramedics.

Making his way to his boss' side, Dave asks him, "What happened?"

His boss looks up and says, "It was the final straw… you and the Pope came out on to the balcony and the man next to me said, 'Who the fuck is that on the balcony with Dave?'

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:01 am
GeoModder wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 am
Yes.
Ah, I forgot to look in the gallery for info. Thanks.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 am
There's that old joke about everyone knowing Dave, so how about a plot twist? Not only does Alex know Dave, they're best buddies! After their re-union, Dave will give him a ride back home and even help broker an alliance with the Umiak.
Everyone knows DaveShow
Dave was bragging to his boss one day, "You know, I know everyone there is to know. Just name someone, anyone, and I know them."

Tired of his boasting, his boss called his bluff, "OK, Dave, how about Tom Cruise?"

"No dramas, boss, Tom and I are old friends, and I can prove it." So Dave and his boss fly out to Hollywood and knock on Tom Cruise's door, and Tom Cruise shouts,

"Dave! What's happening? Great to see you! Come on in for a beer!"

Although impressed, Dave's boss is still skeptical. After they leave Cruise's house, he tells Dave that he thinks him knowing Cruise was just lucky.

"No, no, just name anyone else," Dave says.

"President Obama," his boss quickly retorts.

"Yup," Dave says, "Old buddies, let's fly out to Washington," and off they go.

At the White House, Obama spots Dave on the tour and motions him and his boss over, saying, "Dave, what a surprise, I was just on my way to a meeting, but you and your friend come on in and let's have a beer first and catch up."

Well, the boss is very shaken by now, but still not totally convinced. After they leave the White House grounds, he expresses his doubts to Dave, who again implores him to name anyone else.

"Pope Francis," his boss replies.

"Sure!" says Dave. "I've known the Pope for years." So off they fly to Rome.

Dave and his boss are assembled with the masses at the Vatican's St. Peter's Square when Dave says, "This will never work. I can't catch the Pope's eye among all these people. Tell you what, I know all the guards, so let me just go upstairs, and I'll come out on the balcony with the Pope." He disappears into the crowd, headed towards the Vatican.

Sure enough, half an hour later Dave emerges with the Pope on the balcony, but by the time Dave returns, he finds that his boss has had a heart attack and is surrounded by paramedics.

Making his way to his boss' side, Dave asks him, "What happened?"

His boss looks up and says, "It was the final straw… you and the Pope came out on to the balcony and the man next to me said, 'Who the fuck is that on the balcony with Dave?'
But he was an Umaiki spy all along it seems...

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:37 pm
You mean Alex? Stillstorm seems to believe so.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:47 pm
CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:37 pm
You mean Alex? Stillstorm seems to believe so.
No Dave

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:54 pm
No Dave
Well, he it's an Umiak, so nobody expected otherwise. But it's either a slightly more favorable form of servitude thanks to Dave's efforts or "KRAK". I mean, if the Dark Eldar Loroi need living sacrifices for their sorcery (poor Cloud) to work, maybe their Dark Gods could be appeased with the similarly-looking humans instead? Beryl seems to think that it is likely to be so.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Well I wil say this for Tempo... she has courage that is sure. Going solo around a bunch of enemy soldiers who could kill her if they found her is very brave.

But then again it's not like she has a good alternative either.

Either that or Tempo is so confident in her abilities that she that she thinks she will win and the Umiak will lose on this occasion, so she is not afraid.... much.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:21 pm
Well I wil say this for Tempo... she has courage that is sure. Going solo around a bunch of enemy soldiers who could kill her if they found her is very brave.

But then again it's not like she has a good alternative either.

Either that or Tempo is so confident in her abilities that she that she thinks she will win and the Umiak will lose on this occasion, so she is not afraid.... much.
Wasn't it said that she is much older than the others? She probably did this already several times :?

It's a typical monday morning, you get boarded by Umiak, take over their ship, tell them to get you a coffee.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arent wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Wasn't it said that she is much older than the others? She probably did this already several times :?

It's a typical monday morning, you get boarded by Umiak, take over their ship, tell them to get you a coffee.
She's not a run-of-the-mill Mizol anyway, but somebody sent by the Emperor to monitor a particularly troublesome officer. Her GURPS sheet even lists "loyalty to the Emperor" as a trait. Therefore, some special abilities are to be expected.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Arent wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:03 pm

She's not a run-of-the-mill Mizol anyway, but somebody sent by the Emperor to monitor a particularly troublesome officer. Her GURPS sheet even lists "loyalty to the Emperor" as a trait. Therefore, some special abilities are to be expected.

Just what is a run of the mill Mizol like?

I presume one who has only seen or heard of the Emperor on holo-casts?

I think you mean that Tempo is above average even for a Mizol, and other Mizols may either be not as skilled, or they are, but have not proven it... yet.

Perhaps. Tempo really is this space ninja of sorts who has already done like mission impossible and james bond a dozen times over, and THAT'S why she was sent to watch Stillstorm. Perhaps the emperor is afraid of Stillstorm attempting a coup at some point... especially if the Loroi somehow win... as right now I don't think Stillstorm is stupid enough to attempt what would destroy her people

I cannot speak for Stillstorm, as I did not create her, but am aware that some officers who are really good at war do not actually like it.

Then again the whole Loroi culture is war-based, so I suppose Stilstorm DOES like war.... so long she is winning.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:57 pm
Just what is a run of the mill Mizol like?

I presume one who has only seen or heard of the Emperor on holo-casts?

I think you mean that Tempo is above average even for a Mizol, and other Mizols may either be not as skilled, or they are, but have not proven it... yet.

Perhaps. Tempo really is this space ninja of sorts who has already done like mission impossible and james bond a dozen times over, and THAT'S why she was sent to watch Stillstorm. Perhaps the emperor is afraid of Stillstorm attempting a coup at some point... especially if the Loroi somehow win... as right now I don't think Stillstorm is stupid enough to attempt what would destroy her people

I cannot speak for Stillstorm, as I did not create her, but am aware that some officers who are really good at war do not actually like it.

Then again the whole Loroi culture is war-based, so I suppose Stilstorm DOES like war.... so long she is winning.
I'm simply speculating on how and why Tempo managed to reign in Stillstorm, who wanted that thing off her ship. She even invited Alex to the bridge in order to meet the other Union members, despite the fact that the Lashret would rather stuff him into a torpedo tube and fire him at his Umiak masters.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:59 pm
I'm simply speculating on how and why Tempo managed to reign in Stillstorm, who wanted that thing off her ship. She even invited Alex to the bridge in order to meet the other Union members, despite the fact that the Lashret would rather stuff him into a torpedo tube and fire him at his Umiak masters.
She specifically ensured that Alex would be seen by others and even joined the shuttle crew, apparently to ensure that nothing 'happens' to Alex.

Maybe she just had a hunch that this is more important than keeping tabs on Stillstorm.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arent wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:03 pm
She specifically ensured that Alex would be seen by others and even joined the shuttle crew, apparently to ensure that nothing 'happens' to Alex.

Maybe she just had a hunch that this is more important than keeping tabs on Stillstorm.
I'd be surprised if Tempo was the only Mizol onboard Tempest. The task to keep tabs on Stillstorm would simply been delegated to the next ranked Mizol while Tempo furthers her career by bringing in a novel diplomat to the Emperor.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arent wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:03 pm
She is also quite concerned about the fact that Humans might be the template species, and that some Loroi traditionalists might not like that "blasphemy". The Union can't afford another Tithric debacle, but the morale "fallout" from the highly controversial revelation must also be handled with great care. Thus, Tempo decided to bring Alex to her superiors.
GeoModder wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:31 am
I'd be surprised if Tempo was the only Mizol onboard Tempest. The task to keep tabs on Stillstorm would simply been delegated to the next ranked Mizol while Tempo furthers her career by bringing in a novel diplomat to the Emperor.
Alex is not a simple diplomat, but living proof of the Loroi lies. It's a boon (to science), a liability (to propaganda), a mystery (due to the Lotai) and needs to be handled carefully.