Page 211: Grand Theft Umiak Cruiser

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

asaenvolk

Re: Page 211: Grand Theft Umiak Cruiser

Post by asaenvolk »

Bamax wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Arioch said hybrids are not possible between humans and Loroi.

So unless Beryl mated with several Loroi males on the side... which Alex would have mixed feelings about, the ending could not happen.

And given how slow Loroi age, Beryl will outlive him and likely be the one to inherit his stuff too.

Beryl will look like her 30's while Alec will look... old.
Funny thing is, buy that time period, the odds are we wont have old age, due to one or more of many currently developing technologies, we are likely to have defeated, for the most part, the effects of aging. There are many ways that this make come about, from gene editing, to controlled stem cell injections, to cloned body part replacements. This may all seam like its far away tech, but its way closer than FTL tech.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Here are my Cr0.02...

There seems to be a general assumption of an inter-species "romance" occurring between Alex and Beryl (... or Tempo ... or Fireblade ... ), but I do not hold to the same assumption.

What I see instead is (1) Alex putting on his best "New Kid In Class" act, and (2) the various Loroi "innocently" appealing to Alex, each in a subtly different way, in hope that doing so would inspire Alex to form a romantic attachment with one (or more) of them, and further influence Alex to willingly choose an alliance between the Terran Colonial Authority and the Loroi Union.

While I do not trust the Historian avatar either, I assume that the Loroi are not Alex's friends, and that they are looking only for the territorial advantage that allying with the TCA would give them.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

0z79

Post by 0z79 »

So, hey... the Lotai thing I asked about awhile ago. Would "breaching" that turn Alex into a vegetable or something?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I think that it would depend on how it is done and what the Lotai's 'conditions' are.

If the Lotai works like a water dam then overwhelming it with brute force would certainly destroy Alex's psyche. If however someone pipes around the dam and they are careful with the pressure then it should be okay.