Page 212: Pucker factor nine point five

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Page 212: Pucker factor nine point five

Post by dragoongfa »

SpoilerShow
Just a few thousand solons more for Alex to meet some bugs face to face

kiwi

Re: Page 212: Pucker factor nine point five

Post by kiwi »

Well, I guess his pucker factor 10 was recently calibrated by the Bellarmine breaking in half and/or getting blown up

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Nice twist on the psychological level.

man_of_foul_tofu

Post by man_of_foul_tofu »

I like this doubt of the images in Alex's head very much, I think it's clever writing to sow more doubt of the story being laid out for us. This mental barrier is also either there, not there, or partially there - I am questioning if he thinks it can be fed images to.

My question - Alex must know that Humanity is practically useless for combat against any of this crew, so what has Humanity got to offer? A mystery and a prophecy - Might the Umiak have any interest in Humanity?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

This self-questioning of his free will is a good point.

But then why would Tempo go through the efforts of feeding him images, if she can simply make him do whatever she wants?
Imperio!

Maybe he fears that nudging his free will will have longer lasting effects than a mere Imperius Curse of directly telling him what to do and tell.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Krulle wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:28 am
But then why would Tempo go through the efforts of feeding him images, if she can simply make him do whatever she wants?
Imperio!
Maybe she can only push someone for so long. But if she feeds Alex these images and he thinks these thoughts are his own? Well then ... no better mind control than to make someone want to do what you want them to do.

I must admit I had not even once considered the possibility that these images were being deliberately fed to Alex. But there is a certain logic to it. Even if its not as "romatic" as a natural connection to Fireblade

Excellion

Post by Excellion »

Jagged wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 am
I must admit I had not even once considered the possibility that these images were being deliberately fed to Alex. But there is a certain logic to it. Even if its not as "romatic" as a natural connection to Fireblade
We do known from Fireblade's GURPS sheet that she "Telepathically 'talks' in sleep". And there is also this tidbit in the Inside Forum Quotations article:

In this case, the explanation is a lot simpler... Fireblade did not have the same training in mental discipline that most Loroi receive as children that helps to keep subconscious telepathic "babble" under control.

To me it seems likely that Fireblade is (unintentionally) leaking memories and thoughts to Alex. Alex in turn is apparently a sensitive receiver and can thus read Fireblade's memories this way; And likely piggyback on her detection powers such as seen in comic page 210. On the other hand Alex himself cannot send any telepathic data at all, meaning that the Loroi cannot read him.

I really like the question Alex raises in this page though. We as the readers have more information on the Loroi than he as the main character currently has; Alex's reasoning that he might be deliberately fed (potentially fake) information seems very reasonable from his perspective. And it perfectly aligns with the "Alex is wary of the Loroi" narrative that is currently in place.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Nine of you
- Talon.
- Spiral.
- Tempo.
- Fireblade.
- Beryl.
- Reed.
- Cloud.
- Flint.
That's 8. 9 would be them including Alex. So it should be either "Eight of you" or "Nine of us". Or we intentionally have Alex fucking up his arithmetic.
man_of_foul_tofu wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:50 am
My question - Alex must know that Humanity is practically useless for combat against any of this crew
He's not much more useless than Beryl, Talon or Spiral in this situation. He can at least somewhat do all the relevant things that they can do, unless Umiak electronic security measures involve games of Matching Pairs (where Beryl would be unbeatable) - and it's likely that he's straight up better at piloting bigass ships like this here krooza, since the Tenoin girls have never flown anything bigger than the Highland, while Alex had a job of (sometimes) piloting Bellarmine. Reed, Flint and Cloud (if she's even alive still) are probably better at applying boomsticks and that's it. They all are most likely better at handling themselves under fire and going hand to hand and whatnot, but the whole plan relies entirely on not getting into a fair fight of any sorts. And the most important point of the plan is not kicking ass or even piloting - it's preventing the shells from pressing the "COWABUNGA" button on their reactor.
Last edited by Mk_C on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Nice subversion of the action hero "hold-my-beer-I-got-this" classic protagonist. Alex is mostly pragmatical and rational in his approachs.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"It's gonna be super easy, barely an inconvenience"

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I wonder bad the jump sickness is for the bugs I mean not enough for things to go the way the Loroi want so who is making Alex's butt pucker at this time?

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

man_of_foul_tofu wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:50 am
My question - Alex must know that Humanity is practically useless for combat against any of this crew, so what has Humanity got to offer? A mystery and a prophecy - Might the Umiak have any interest in Humanity?
I think it's pretty well been stated that the Umiak's interest in humanity would be slave labor for resource-gathering operations to further their war machine. I think that's more from the insider pages (in-comic, https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider001.html just covers 'atrocities on both sides' related by the Orgus) but it's certainly "something" that humanity could do....

EDIT: Also found this one: https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider093.html -- "...to join the Umiak Hierarchy is to effectively sell ourselves into slavery."

--Mithramuse

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Excellion wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:51 am
Jagged wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 am
I must admit I had not even once considered the possibility that these images were being deliberately fed to Alex. But there is a certain logic to it. Even if its not as "romantic" as a natural connection to Fireblade
We do known from Fireblade's GURPS sheet that she "Telepathically 'talks' in sleep". And there is also this tidbit in the Inside Forum Quotations article:

In this case, the explanation is a lot simpler... Fireblade did not have the same training in mental discipline that most Loroi receive as children that helps to keep subconscious telepathic "babble" under control.

To me it seems likely that Fireblade is (unintentionally) leaking memories and thoughts to Alex. Alex in turn is apparently a sensitive receiver and can thus read Fireblade's memories this way; And likely piggyback on her detection powers such as seen in comic page 210. On the other hand Alex himself cannot send any telepathic data at all, meaning that the Loroi cannot read him.

I really like the question Alex raises in this page though. We as the readers have more information on the Loroi than he as the main character currently has; Alex's reasoning that he might be deliberately fed (potentially fake) information seems very reasonable from his perspective. And it perfectly aligns with the "Alex is wary of the Loroi" narrative that is currently in place.
In real life, some people claim to hear voices just before falling asleep -- e.g., "Hypnagogic Hallucinations".  There may be many causes for this, but the most probable ones seem to be: (1) A person's brain is in a partial dream state; (2) The person lacks sufficient sleep; (3) The person is hungry.  Alex was likely experiencing all three, and his natural telepathic shield became just thin enough for Fireblade's subconscious telepathic "babble" to somehow leak through.  This also suggests that maybe the other Loroi have a way to "tune out" Fireblade's nightmares while they sleep.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:54 pm
In real life, some people claim to hear voices just before falling asleep -- e.g., "Hypnagogic Hallucinations".  There may be many causes for this, but the most probable ones seem to be: (1) A person's brain is in a partial dream state; (2) The person lacks sufficient sleep; (3) The person is hungry.  Alex was likely experiencing all three, and his natural telepathic shield became just thin enough for Fireblade's subconscious telepathic "babble" to somehow leak through.  This also suggests that maybe the other Loroi have a way to "tune out" Fireblade's nightmares while they sleep.
In RL it's also part and parcel with neurological damage, I got MS and the damage it has done has made me unable to enter a deep sleep state without psychotropic medication. Sleep paralysis and hallucinations are par of the norm for me when the drug effects are receding.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Pucker factor...
Thanks Arioch for using a concept that even doesn't exists in Russian.
In Soviet Russia™ a soldier must endure the hardships and burdens of military service with fortitude. Period.
Outsider in Russian

inxsi

Post by inxsi »

Excellent page (and how quickly we get used to updates).

I wonder how unhappy Tempo is to have to demonstrate her abilities where Alex can see them. Also wonder if there was a seal (that Alex trusts) on the beef stroganoff - or if the hallucinations were caused by having protein before dozing :D

Since Beryl keeps stressing how they need every hand available, are they going to trust him enough to have him do anything important? Or is it just more convenient to have him with the group where multiple loroi can keep their eyes on him (and Fireblade can squash him if needed)? Guess I'll get to see.

I guess the Loroi figue the jump sickness is notably worse for the Umiak than for Alex?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Re. Jump sickness: I presume nobody knows yet.

re. Pucker factor: I basically knew of the physical manifestation, but didn't know the US-Army uses it, nor did I know the effect is described under that terminology. So a joke was lost for me, so far.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

SVlad wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:47 am
Pucker factor... Thanks Arioch for using a concept that even doesn't exists in Russian. ...
In the U.S. Navy, we called it the "Clench Factor", except it referred to contracting all muscles of the body in anticipation of a collision.  "I went into full clench just before impact..."
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

In the James Cameron movie The Abyss, Hippy uses the term "Sphincter Factor," perhaps to make it more obvious to the non-military audience, but I think "Pucker Factor" is probably clear enough.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:08 pm
In the James Cameron movie The Abyss, Hippy uses the term "Sphincter Factor," perhaps to make it more obvious to the non-military audience, but I think "Pucker Factor" is probably clear enough.
Thanks, should check, how real translators do this.

Uh, real translators just make it into boring:
In trouble for 9.5 of 10
Probably, I should invent something more fun. There is a joke about cutting a crowbar with one's sphincter in Russian. May be I can adopt it.
Outsider in Russian