Warhammer 40,000

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

NOMAD

Re: Warhammer 40,000

Post by NOMAD »

Thought I haven't played the all of the Warhammer 40k, I really like the models for each of the races and their units ( I wish blizzards would do some assembled Starcraft models to this effect :( ) and yes I do know about the Starcraft broad game ;)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

The thing that always cracks me about Warhammer 40,000 is that they have these big huge spaceships, and then they fight on the ground with troops and things. :lol: Seriously though, I don't mind too much, I mean they've essentially got magic, so who am I to complain?
You can melta it, you can lancer it, you can virus bomb it, But until theres a genetically engineered godman with his rapid fire RPG launcher standing on it you don't own it.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Nathan_ wrote:rapid fire RPG launcher
You're giving bolters way too much credit, they're just glorified Gyrojets.

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

yeah, but thats not nearly grimdark enough.

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

fredgiblet wrote:
Nathan_ wrote:rapid fire RPG launcher
You're giving bolters way too much credit, they're just glorified Gyrojets.
.75 caliber gyrojets (19.5mm, ~0.768"), potentially with a dual-stage launch (it's the only reason we fans can think of for bolters ejecting brass)

For reference, this is a 20mm vulcan shell compared to a 9mm pistol round (heavy bolters are something like 1.00cal/25.5mm); an RPG-7 warhead, on the other hand, is roughly 40mm across.
Ideally, a .75cal bolt round will have a smaller cartridge since the kinetic energy necessary to get the shell up to lethal speeds so the rocket motor can take care of the rest would be lower than a charge necessary to propel the round across its entire lifetime. Further their casing seems to be designed around a straight pistol cartridge rather than a flared rifle cartridge, supporting this supposition.

Just imagine what those should sound like *Pfoom-Shwooo* and at something like (I've heard a 30-round mag can be emptied in roughly 2 seconds) 700~950rpm cyclic [the cyclic rate on an m16], it would probably be as unique as the sound of a GAU-8 is on the battlefield today. Not to mention, the primary warhead is designed to penetrate mainline body armor from the future plus flesh and then detonate inside the target; keeping in mind that these warheads are almost as big as a 20mm Vulcan shell.

TL;DR Glorified Gyrojets are plenty grimdark enough.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Cy83r wrote: Not to mention, the primary warhead is designed to penetrate mainline body armor from the future plus flesh and then detonate inside the target
Well if you can make them detonate when they hit body armor, the shockwave could render any body armor pretty much useless.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
Cy83r wrote: Not to mention, the primary warhead is designed to penetrate mainline body armor from the future plus flesh and then detonate inside the target
Well if you can make them detonate when they hit body armor, the shockwave could render any body armor pretty much useless.
why does that remind me of an image described in Star craft books

"and their bodies dances from multiple impacts and they were shredded to pieces"

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Karst45 wrote:Well if you can make them detonate when they hit body armor, the shockwave could render any body armor pretty much useless.
What you're describing is a HESH round, there's a reason no one but the Brits use them anymore for MBT combat, making armor that beats them is easy.
Cy83r wrote:.75 caliber gyrojets (19.5mm, ~0.768"), potentially with a dual-stage launch (it's the only reason we fans can think of for bolters ejecting brass)

For reference, this is a 20mm vulcan shell compared to a 9mm pistol round (heavy bolters are something like 1.00cal/25.5mm); an RPG-7 warhead, on the other hand, is roughly 40mm across.
*snipped*
Ideally, a .75cal bolt round will have a smaller cartridge since the kinetic energy necessary to get the shell up to lethal speeds so the rocket motor can take care of the rest would be lower than a charge necessary to propel the round across its entire lifetime. Further their casing seems to be designed around a straight pistol cartridge rather than a flared rifle cartridge, supporting this supposition.

Just imagine what those should sound like *Pfoom-Shwooo* and at something like (I've heard a 30-round mag can be emptied in roughly 2 seconds) 700~950rpm cyclic [the cyclic rate on an m16], it would probably be as unique as the sound of a GAU-8 is on the battlefield today. Not to mention, the primary warhead is designed to penetrate mainline body armor from the future plus flesh and then detonate inside the target; keeping in mind that these warheads are almost as big as a 20mm Vulcan shell.

TL;DR Glorified Gyrojets are plenty grimdark enough.
Well, trying to argue logic is pointless when you're talking about 40k, since as previously mentioned it's about as hard as pudding, but I'll toss a couple things out there.

A dual-stage launch is, as far as I can see, pointless, it removes the primary value of the gyrojet (the light, dirt-cheap launch tube) while gaining LESS velocity than the same mass of propellant consumed in the normal rocket manner would likely bring. The only upside that I can see is that they would reach lethal velocity slightly faster with that method. A much more plausible explanation is that GW didn't think it through and/or (who are we kidding it's and) doesn't give a shit. Rule of cool says there must be piles of expended brass lying around so the bolter gets brass ejection.

While a rocket engine may be more efficient than a regular bullet you still need sufficient propellant to get to a lethal speed. Given the tiny size of the bolter casings, the significant mass of the slugs and given the armor that supposedly would shrug off any modern weapon I find it highly unlikely that the bolter slugs would get anywhere near enough velocity to penetrate modern body armor without handwaving. Of course nothing in 40k works without handwaving so that's really not a problem.

The reality is quite simple, GW doesn't care if their technology makes any sort of sense, and why should they? Even I wouldn't think twice about picking up 40k if it wasn't for the fact that it's retardedly expensive and obscenely time-consuming if you play with people who expect you to paint your army. No one who plays 40k plays it for the science, and the people who refuse to play it because of the lack of science most likely wouldn't be satisfied with anything the did to explain it. So their only option would be to actually make it make sense, and that would take work, and GW isn't interested in that.

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

Well, just because the setting is about as stiffly written as a cheap wire hangar doesn't mean you can't dissect as much of it as possible for one's own gratification.

Regarding the boltgun, we could be working with advanced propellants, maybe some sort of liquid-state or plasma-based propellant that allow a bolt shell to reach a lethal muzzle velocity. Additionally, without a gas-compression-and-cartridge recoil system, the next bolt must be loaded into the chamber manually or via a mechanised feed. In the interest of simplicity and lack of headaches (as well as the cool requirement for copious amounts of spent brass), I'll assume the Mechanicus went with a blowback-operated bolter design despite any misgivings I'm sure all of us have about how well such a method would work.

junk

Post by junk »

Insn't a bolter a caseless round. if I remember correctly the first push, which actually allows it to be lethal even in close range is due to case being consumed in the first burst so to speak. Essentially like a normal round in a sense.

After that, the bolter itself then has propellant. But as opposed to a gyrojet, it's dangerous everywhere along it's path. Actually more dangerous near the beginnings, as the propellant itself is used for the explosion.

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

junk wrote:Insn't a bolter a caseless round. if I remember correctly the first push, which actually allows it to be lethal even in close range is due to case being consumed in the first burst so to speak. Essentially like a normal round in a sense.

After that, the bolter itself then has propellant. But as opposed to a gyrojet, it's dangerous everywhere along it's path. Actually more dangerous near the beginnings, as the propellant itself is used for the explosion.
Caseless rounds fly in the face of every single depiction of bolters there ever was, but again, we can assume that cartridge-using designs are merely common to the Imperium at large (even given the rarity of bolters) and that other methods and designs are entirely plausible.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Cy83r wrote:Caseless rounds fly in the face of every single depiction of bolters there ever was, but again, we can assume that cartridge-using designs are merely common to the Imperium at large (even given the rarity of bolters) and that other methods and designs are entirely plausible.
Easy: it's a caseless round kept in a single-round protective canister for handling (protecting the propellant from moisture, damage, and unintentional ignition). The canister is automatically removed and ejected as the round is moved into the chamber for firing, which is why it *looks* like the gun is firing cased rounds.

Makes perfect sense!

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

i suppose someone has to stop and explain what the WH40k wiki says about tech to explain the 'suppression' of advanced technologies.

First off: the technology of the era of the 40K universe is to a similar level to USB music players: thus if a normal person examines how it works they would not have a clue without spending years learning the principles behind them, Thus Tech-Priests who spend years learning the 'religion' of technology.
Worse is the fact that the empire was hit by the wars with chaos to the level where all of their access to the technology from the 'peak' of human civilisation was lost, and the technology remaining to them is fragmentary at best, from what i recall the Chimera was an multi-purpose machine designed mainly for agriculture purposes on worlds throughout the human races worlds, and the design was 're-purposed' for other jobs when war broke out leading to a vast variety of tanks for the Imperial Guard that can be built rapidly from the common chassis (think of it like the sherman tank).
The Tech-Priests happen to be the only reason the imperium of man has successfully survived since the invasions of chaos and the rest, and their devotion to keeping technology pure has preserved each of the techs that they still possess. Unfortunately they also are aware of the risks of 'heresy' lets not forget chaos will corrupt the mind of anyone they can get their hands on, and with technology comes power, and with power they have constructed portals to the warp leading to some of the defining battles in the empire.
An 'idea' on how to improve can often be due to outside agents influence, something which is highly risky and could potentially lead to much destruction and corruption.

Can the imperium of man AFFORD to allow the expansion of such hazards?

Also: in WW2 the sherman tank was actually an early war tank, and thus was obsolete before it even hit the battlefields, yet the US having designed a replacement tank that could do the job better, decided to prefer to maintain mass production of a tank inferior to those it was fighting rather than risking having less tanks on the battlefield.
This same analogy could easily be angled at the imperium of man for about 95% of the tank designs I have read about online. It's not like i'm rich enough to actually afford to buy all the source information books, but there is something satisfying about a baneblade (actually a tank designed to be a tank originally, frighteningly enough) being armed with a huge melta cannon that largely fails to leave enough room for the other guns normally on board...
I think it's a shame they discontinued Epic :(

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Fotiadis_110 wrote:Also: in WW2 the sherman tank was actually an early war tank, and thus was obsolete before it even hit the battlefields
This is false. The Sherman was in fact quite comparable to it's opponents at the start of the war. By the time Normandy rolled around it was woefully inadequate, but in North Africa it was fine.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

fredgiblet wrote:
Fotiadis_110 wrote:Also: in WW2 the sherman tank was actually an early war tank, and thus was obsolete before it even hit the battlefields
This is false. The Sherman was in fact quite comparable to it's opponents at the start of the war. By the time Normandy rolled around it was woefully inadequate, but in North Africa it was fine.
I respectfully disagree. Operation Torch was a success not because of the sherman, but rather although. Key factors were air supremacy, supply and good intel from the local resistance (Slowikowski, "Agency Africa").
sapere aude.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Trantor wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Operation Torch was a success not because of the sherman, but rather although. Key factors were air supremacy, supply and good intel from the local resistance (Slowikowski, "Agency Africa").
I think Fred is saying that the Sherman, while not really up to par for a frontline MBT at the time, it sufficed for the actions in North Africa; not that it excelled there, just that it was enough to get the job done in the context of the North Africa campaigns.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Warhammer 40K is not made of science. It's made of 50% MANSAUCE and 50% GRIMDARK and 50% AWESOME!!!!!

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

From my butchered heinlein quote, to bolter mechanics, to shermans. god bless you guys.

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

Nathan_ wrote:From my butchered heinlein quote, to bolter mechanics, to shermans. god bless you guys.
It's a good ole /tg/ thread up in here :3

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Nathan_ wrote:From my butchered heinlein quote, to bolter mechanics, to shermans. god bless you guys.
Well we do try our best :D
Cy83r wrote:It's a good ole /tg/ thread up in here :3
so their is a description for this forum !!! :shock: i'm just not seeing it :|