Is the comic dead?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

G. Janssen

Re: Is the comic dead?

Post by G. Janssen »

Good thing then that you're not being asked to pay to read the webcomic, as it's free.
Nothing in life is free. Not even air. Ask the people who have asthma, hay fever (or lung cancer if they live in Mexico City, Hong Kong or Beijing). Yes, I know: I'm a cheerful fellow. Cynicism is an unavoidable side effect of old age.

The comic represents time, energy, work, materials... I enjoy it thorougly and will feel guilty if I don't compensate you for it. Worse: I'd feel like a hypocrite, since I liked to be compensated for my work as well. You have my word that you will receive compensation from me once the comic is finished. Unless I die before it's finished, which, in the tempo it is written is a rather realistic scenario. Argh, there's that cynicism again.

Not a dollar per page though if the goal is 8 chapters. I'm not that wealthy. Maybe 50 cents per page, corrected for inflation.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

G. Janssen wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:52 am
Unless I die before it's finished, which, in the tempo it is written is a rather realistic scenario.
The Patreon subscription is actually a little known key to immortality (or at least it eliminates dry spells). When I reflect on all the fictional media produced out there, I'll wait for a webcomic versus read more Star Trek Voyager: Captain Proton fanfic. I feel, perhaps wrongly, like the level of time investment and effort for a webcomic is more than it'd be to write a web novel series, and the payoff is also greater. Not saying a colorized page being released needs to be like a cleansing rain that washes over you, making you feel warm and secure, letting you know everything will be alright, but I really appreciate them, even if they're just a bit delayed. Ultimately, I would also like more GURPS character sheets, I mean, what is Tempo's other hidden malus? Does she pick her nose?

If you do feel like life will be tragically abbreviated in the short term, I am 99% certain I know what happens at the end (I mean beyond the obvious of Alex becoming the Kwizatz Haderach) but I don't want to spoil too much; Let's just say "Star Trek V".

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:43 pm
DevilDalek wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:00 pm
*Pops in*
Any news?
I'm posting the new pages to Patreon today (as it's the end of the month), and I'll try to get page 215 posted to the site on Wednesday.
Awesome! Two thumbs up!

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

spacewhale wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:57 am
I mean, what is Tempo's other hidden malus? Does she pick her nose?

If you do feel like life will be tragically abbreviated in the short term, I am 99% certain I know what happens at the end (I mean beyond the obvious of Alex becoming the Kwizatz Haderach) but I don't want to spoil too much; Let's just say "Star Trek V".
I'm pretty sure that Tempo bites her nails and likes to be spanked, Cloud makes voodoo dolls of her superiors hoping she can get rid of them that way and finally get a promotion (She's a quiet one. Never turn your back on the quiet ones), Beryl sings Loroi opera under the shower and Reed collects stuffed Veezoo (a type of feline from Perrein) dolls and writes poetry about said felines.

As for me, I would like to know how Alex manages to prevent his beard from growing. Did one of the guards secretly give him her lady shaver?

By the way: your post caused me to use google more times than I had to in the past 2 weeks. GURPS? StarTrek V? But I agree with you on the Kwisatz Haderach thing. Unless Arioch tricks us all and Alex really is an unknowing Umiak sleeper agent who was given false memories and the comic ends with the Umiak army marching victoriously through the streets of Paris after having laid waste to the Loroi Union.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

G. Janssen wrote:
Cynicism is an unavoidable side effect of old age.
Luckily for the young(er) people and according to this definition, the cynic is the first to go (to green acres)! ;)
G. Janssen wrote:
The comic represents time, energy, work, materials... I enjoy it thorougly and will feel guilty if I don't compensate you for it. Worse: I'd feel like a hypocrite, since I liked to be compensated for my work as well. You have my word that you will receive compensation from me once the comic is finished. Unless I die before it's finished, which, in the tempo it is written is a rather realistic scenario. Argh, there's that cynicism again.

Not a dollar per page though if the goal is 8 chapters. I'm not that wealthy. Maybe 50 cents per page, corrected for inflation.
Well, I reckon if inflation enters the equation, the first chapter is worth a dollar/page by now... Those were created in less financially inflated times... :lol:

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

GeoModder wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:01 pm
Well, I reckon if inflation enters the equation, the first chapter is worth a dollar/page by now... Those were created in less financially inflated times... :lol:
Ghe, you got me there.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

GeoModder wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:01 pm
G. Janssen wrote:
Cynicism is an unavoidable side effect of old age.
Luckily for the young(er) people and according to this definition, the cynic is the first to go (to green acres)! ;)
Soylent Green for the win!

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

DevilDalek wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:28 pm
Soylent Green for the win!
Except that in 30 years time, when eating meat has been replaced by eating NuMeat (tm), the NuMeat won't be made of dead bodies, it will be made of the larvae of the bugs that feed on dead bodies. All dead bodies. No more burials or cremations, only recycling. For the environment, you know. Bon appetit.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Nah, there will be plenty of vegetarians and environmentalists to eat.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:02 am
Nah, there will be plenty of vegetarians and environmentalists to eat.
Arioch is voting for the Humungus as ruler of the Wasteland, apparently.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

spacewhale wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:43 am

Arioch is voting for the Humungus as ruler of the Wasteland, apparently.
As long as they are tasty..

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

DevilDalek wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:01 am
As long as they are tasty..
Most vegans are skinny, so at least it's lean meat. Not suitable for sausages, but excellent for steaks.

"Paul, I'd like to invite you to the neighbourhood barbecue."
"I have to decline, because barbecues are bad for the environment. And I'm vegan, you know."
"We all know, Paul. And you misunderstand. Hey, follow me into the shed so I can explain..."

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

9 out of 10 cannibals agree, vegans taste best

Curlysan

Post by Curlysan »

Better to have a few intermediate cycles in your food "recycling" program. Too many long term risks with 'long pork' on the menu. Replication errors in the immune system being one of them, and a rather nasty one at that. There's a reason it's an almost universal taboo.

Compost is your friend. Compost to fallow plots, then rotate to grazing for meat/milk producers, then garden plots.

Gives all the non-water soluble/less biodegradable contaminants time to work through mother nature's recycle system.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

*pops in*

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

DevilDalek wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:44 pm
*pops in*
Weird time to do so.
Time to turn around and quietly leave immediately again.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Krulle wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:03 pm
Weird time to do so.
*Invites you to the BBQ*
Leaving now would be impolite. Care for a glass of Chianti? It goes well with the main dish. The beans are also superb...

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:33 pm
Krulle wrote:
Weird time to do so.
*Invites you to the BBQ*
Leaving now would be impolite. Care for a glass of Chianti? It goes well with the main dish. The beans are also superb...
Ah, liver. My favorite.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Mmh. Liver. Yeah. I'll stay for that.
But I prefer a light beer (not calorie "light"), or something non-alcoholic, please.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Krulle wrote:
DevilDalek wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:44 pm
*pops in*
Weird time to do so.
Well of course that would look weird if I had not attached the rest of the post..

"I'm going to kick back and wait for the comic with a few drinks"