Interceptors in Outsider

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Interceptors in Outsider

Post by Arioch »

In the early days of the Loroi empire, torpedo-armed fighters were the primary long-range offensive weapon of the fleet, and most ships, cruisers and larger, were hybrid carriers. However, the development of longer-ranged beam weapons and more effective point defense weapons have made offensive fighter missions less effective and more costly, especially against the Umiak who almost always outnumber the Loroi, and so have plenty of spare weapons to train on small craft and torpedoes, and so Loroi fighters have largely transitioned to defensive missions against enemy torpedoes and gunboats. Heavier Loroi fighters launched by dedicated carriers have some better defenses against point-defense weapons, but they still can only be used effectively in large-scale saturation attacks (similar to the Umiak torpedo saturation attacks), and still take significant losses.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Point-defense, perhaps, but has anyone (besides me) considered the use of sensor-dedicated fighters being used to quickly extend and reconfigure a "Longbow" synthetic aperture array?

Sure, the Farseers would be useful, but recent developments in Umiak technology might necessitate a fall-back to good old ECM and ECCM techniques.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:03 pm
Point-defense, perhaps, but has anyone (besides me) considered the use of sensor-dedicated fighters being used to quickly extend and reconfigure a "Longbow" synthetic aperture array?

Sure, the Farseers would be useful, but recent developments in Umiak technology might necessitate a fall-back to good old ECM and ECCM techniques.

Possible but unless you plan to guard it... the Umiak are just going to swarm pound it anyway.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"Point-defense, perhaps, but has anyone (besides me) considered the use of sensor-dedicated fighters being used to quickly extend and reconfigure a "Longbow" synthetic aperture array?"

Drones would be even more useful. I can't think of any reason why a passive sensor would need a human crew.