Questions About Type A Fuel And Reaching Orbit....

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sdfgeoff

Re: Questions About Type A Fuel And Reaching Orbit....

Post by sdfgeoff »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 am
I would say that with multiple languages in play it makes it harder to have a single ruling government over all.

The Loroi do not have that issue because.... SANZAI!

So if anything they would have an easier time coodinating their effort and sharing information accross Loroi cultures than we ever had.
The other day I found myself discussing the topic of 'would telepathy solve communication problems' and the answer we came to was 'no.' Why? Because information is frequently highly contextual. When discussing an idea with a human via speech, a speaker often states their idea, and then spends 10 minutes justifying it by providing their reasoning and contextual information that led to that idea. Until the listening party has sufficient contextual information they won't understand the idea. If someone were to burst into my lounge and start talking about RNA transport mechanisms inside cells I wouldn't have any understanding of what they were meaning even if I perfectly understood the message they were communicating (though I probably would start quizzing them to learn more :) ).
Assuming telepathy doesn't overwrite the listeners memory with the other persons, there will always be room for miscommunication.

Post by avatar576 »

Back on topic, I wonder how viable the "Space Yeeter" would be for launching spaceship components and raw materials into orbit.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:12 am
Back on topic, I wonder how viable the "Space Yeeter" would be for launching spaceship components and raw materials into orbit.
Spin launch is viable for lighter payloads but not super heavy ones. Still requires second staging but requires much less than normal allowing for a greater payload fraction.

The reason why super heavy payloads are not practical with spin launch is that spin launch gradually builds up it's acceleration spin over an hour or so.

During that time the rocket to be yeeted is subjected to continious g-force far exceeding what a mere human could handle.

By the time the craft is yeeted it's spinning will have given it a weight of tons more than it actually is... so you begin to see the folly of superheavy yeeting.

Too heavy and you literally tear off your yeeting arm and break the machine.

Post by avatar576 »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:36 am
Spin launch is viable for lighter payloads but not super heavy ones. Still requires second staging but requires much less than normal allowing for a greater payload fraction.

The reason why super heavy payloads are not practical with spin launch is that spin launch gradually builds up it's acceleration spin over an hour or so.

During that time the rocket to be yeeted is subjected to continious g-force far exceeding what a mere human could handle.

By the time the craft is yeeted it's spinning will have given it a weight of tons more than it actually is... so you begin to see the folly of superheavy yeeting.

The existence of a space elevator indicates they've developed materials with super tensile strength, so the yeeter arm probably wouldn't be the weakest link. I also imagine that a "Yeeter Farm" with 100 Yeeters yeeting stuff into space around the clock might also eliminate the need for a "Super Yeeter" to launch really heavy payloads. It means more assembly needs to take place in orbit, but I don't see that as a showstopper.

But, yeah, it goes without saying that the Space Yeeter would not be feasible for launching living payloads.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:02 am
Bamax wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:36 am

The existence of a space elevator indicates they've developed materials with super tensile strength, so the yeeter arm probably wouldn't be the weakest link. I also imagine that a "Yeeter Farm" with 100 Yeeters yeeting stuff into space around the clock might also eliminate the need for a "Super Yeeter" to launch really heavy payloads. It means more assembly needs to take place in orbit, but I don't see that as a showstopper.

But, yeah, it goes without saying that the Space Yeeter would not be feasible for launching living payloads.
Well it does simplfy manned payloads though.

Send up spaceship parts via yeeting and 2 staging, and send up ctew via rocket two staging where you can send max crew loads because everything else you already yeeted into orbit for assembly.

Space assembly not not be any more complex than spacecraft docking amd attaching to each other to form a final ship.

And you are right about the Loroi... their technology is downright terrifying when you consider it.