Merry Christmas

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Bamax »

SpoilerShow
Kind of figured. I mean she never got her own character section in the Extras section on the website.

Don't feel too bad. If Arioch can make us like someone with relatively little time on the panels, then he can easily make more.

Now I am concerned for other fan-favorites.

I have a strong feeling Stillstorm's days are numbered. Talon I am not so sure but would not be surprised.

Obviously Beryl, Tempo and Fireblade are more or less safe. Though I could see Tempo or Fireblade being lost in the finale of the story later.

Beryl is as safe as can be... unless she is'nt. If Beryl goes, then Fireblade is sure to make it. Simply because Tempo is cool in all, but Arioch himself seems to really like Fireblade.

She is literally the poster girl for Outsidee.

Beyond all this a character leaving could add to character development later that effects the plot via Talon.

Two unlikely scenarios in which Spiral is brought back:

If Janssen gets to do this so can I.

1. Umiak are re-animating Loroi corpses to create their sanzai blocking effect. Spiral is brough back as a Umiak controlled zombie which maybe... they capture and bring back the good old cheery Spiral we know and love. Very unlikely though unless somehow I guessed right. Or the Loroi use reanimation tech the Umiak have on board to bring Spiral back... kind of like the sarcophagus from stargate.

Both scenarios are unlikely since they seem a bit deus ex machina, and Arioch expressed he does not like cop outs or easily contrived solutions.

2. Spiral was a tech genuis or had alien friends in the union who downloaded and made a copy of her
consciousness in the likely event of her death. As a parting gift to Talon... who now has to try not die herself as the last if her squadron alive.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

GeoModder wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:16 pm
G. Janssen wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:19 am
SpoilerShow
sunphoenix wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:46 pm
... turns away and cries.

Oh... and thanks Arioch, you heartbreaker!
There, there... There's still the remote possibility that Alex is still strapped to that table in medbay and everything is an illusion, created by Tempo to see if he can be trusted, ...
WHATT!!!??
Well, it's a pretty desperate thought, I admit. But what if all of Alex's experiences so far are part of an ilusion? Who knows? It might be possible for a competent Mizol to create such an elaborate one. And it would make sense: create a scenario in a subject's mind and see how he responds. Alex isn't a telepath. Him seeing things (Torimar, the minds in the shuttle's vestibule, the nightmare) might be glitches in the Matrix or Tempo's handiwork for some reason. The pocket Historian could also be a test. "Will the Human tell us about the pad or will he side with the construct?"

They shove the human, accuse him of being a hypocrite, insult him, threaten him, put him in a cell for a week, feed him the Loroi equivalent of Britsh cuisine, give him the feeling that he's on his way to be probed, interrogated and maybe vivisected and then on top of it all some pink alien tells him not to trust the Loroi. Let's be honest: if he sides with the Loroi after all this, they'll know he's trustworthy. So it might all be a test. Might. maybe.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:36 pm
SpoilerShow
Kind of figured. I mean she never got her own character section in the Extras section on the website.

Don't feel too bad. If Arioch can make us like someone with relatively little time on the panels, then he can easily make more.

I have a strong feeling Stillstorm's days are numbered. Talon I am not so sure but would not be surprised.

Obviously Beryl, Tempo and Fireblade are more or less safe. Though I could see Tempo or Fireblade being lost in the finale of the story later.

Beryl is as safe as can be... unless she is'nt. If Beryl goes, then Fireblade is sure to make it. Simply because Tempo is cool in all, but Arioch himself seems to really like Fireblade.

Beyond all this a character leaving could add to character development later that effects the plot via Talon.

1. Umiak are re-animating Loroi corpses to create their sanzai blocking effect. Spiral is brough back as a Umiak controlled zombie which maybe... they capture and bring back the good old cheery Spiral we know and love. Very unlikely though unless somehow I guessed right. Or the Loroi use reanimation tech the Umiak have on board to bring Spiral back... kind of like the sarcophagus from stargate.

Both scenarios are unlikely since they seem a bit deus ex machina, and Arioch expressed he does not like cop outs or easily contrived solutions.

2. Spiral was a tech genuis or had alien friends in the union who downloaded and made a copy of her
consciousness in the likely event of her death. As a parting gift to Talon... who now has to try not die herself as the last if her squadron alive.
SpoilerShow
I don't want more. I want my waifus back. And not as reanimated Umiak zombies or engrams on a USB stick that can be downloaded in a Cherry 2000 chassis that's spray painted blue.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

G. Janssen wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:20 pm
Bamax wrote:
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
I don't want more. I want my waifus back. And not as reanimated Umiak zombies or engrams on a USB stick that can be downloaded in a Cherry 2000 chassis that's spray painted blue.
SpoilerShow

I was thinking more of a screen AI anyway... not one with a physical body.

The matrix AI often lack physical bodies but simultaneosly exist in the matrix with simulated bodies with potential abilities surpassing any they could have IRL.

Talon not enough for ya eh?

Not gonna lie... I liked Spiral more than Talon... but Arioch is obviously not playing or working toward fan favorites.

Yet look on the bright side... she is totally freed up for fanfics where she somehow survives in an alternate retelling of events.

I don't even know if 'green haired biscuut graveyard' (forshadowing perhaps?) is alive in your storyverse or dead... but she can be.

It is all up to you

So you want you waifus back?

Write for them....because I would not hold my breath asking Arioch to change his story around. You would probably turn blue.

His universe, his rules.

Your storyverse, your rules.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Bamax wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:40 pm
G. Janssen wrote:
Bamax wrote:
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

The matrix AI often lack physical bodies but simultaneosly exist in the matrix with simulated bodies with potential abilities surpassing any they could have IRL.

Not gonna lie... I liked Spiral more than Talon... but Arioch is obviously not playing or working toward fan favorites.

Yet look on the bright side... she is totally freed up for fanfics where she somehow survives in an alternate retelling of events.

I don't even know if 'green haired biscuut graveyard' (forshadowing perhaps?) is alive in your storyverse or dead... but she can be.

It is all up to you

Write for them....because I would not hold my breath asking Arioch to change his story around. You would probably turn blue.

His universe, his rules.

SpoilerShow
I think I have a highly original idea for a story: after dying, Spiral wakes up in a medieval fantasy world. She goes into town, joins the adventurers guild, discovers that she can use magic and is joined by a few companions. She kills monsters and finally slays the Demon Lord.
Anyway, I hope everyone will have a good new years eve.

And remember: stay away from fireworks in case you're planning to drink. There's nothing more shameful than your friends posting a vid on Youtube of you lying on a table in a hospital with your naked, burned bum for all to see, while a doctor tries to fix what's left of your glockenspiel because you thought it was cool to use your butt as a launchpad for a rocket.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

G. Janssen wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:11 pm
Bamax wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:40 pm
G. Janssen wrote:

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

It is all up to you

His universe, his rules.

SpoilerShow
I think I have a highly original idea for a story: after dying, Spiral wakes up in a medieval fantasy world. She goes into town, joins the adventurers guild, discovers that she can use magic and is joined by a few companions. She kills monsters and finally slays the Demon Lord.

And remember: stay away from fireworks in case you're planning to drink. There's nothing more shameful than your friends posting a vid on Youtube of you lying on a table in a hospital with your naked, burned bum for all to see, while a doctor tries to fix what's left of your glockenspiel because you thought it was cool to use your butt as a launchpad for a rocket.

Hate to sound heartless but... survival of the fittest applies.

Those unfit to survive won't... not counting those caught in the wrong place at the wrong time like your waifu.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:06 pm
Hate to sound heartless but... survival of the fittest applies.
Survival of the fit of mind. That reminds me, I haven't checked darwinawards.com in a while.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Well, anyone could see that was coming.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Fifty pages later, Alex is spooning with Stillstorm.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

spacewhale wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 am
That would be out of character for both.

Rather... it would be quite the feat explaining how such an improbable thing could happen.

Of course if Alex was purely interested in romance based off difficulty alone... Stillstorm takes the cake... seconded by Fireblade.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:14 am
Of course if Alex was purely interested in romance based off difficulty alone... Stillstorm takes the cake... seconded by Fireblade.
Based on difficulty alone, I'd give the cake to Dave. :lol:

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Bamax wrote:
spacewhale wrote:
Rather... it would be quite the feat explaining how such an improbable thing could happen.
You mentioned cake. That works. Tempo baked a space cake and both had a slice.
Things were awkward when they woke up next morning.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

G. Janssen wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:32 pm
Bamax wrote:
spacewhale wrote:

You mentioned cake. That works. Tempo baked a space cake and both had a slice.
Things were awkward when they woke up next morning.
Would be a fun fanfic.

Realistically though she Tempo had better take a shuttle or something to get away. Otherwise she is getting shaved bald and locked up in in a prison cell till Stilly drops her off wherever she can.

Also... I doubt Stillstorm would be inclined to even eat anything Tempo makes since Tempo works for the emperor and everybody knows how Stillstorm feels about the emperor (the opposite of warm and fuzzy... so cold and prickly?).

Yet being covert is literally what Tempo does so she could probably disguise it as someone else's food.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"Fifty pages later, Alex is spooning with Stillstorm"

Nobody expects that!

Seriously though, from the moment we got her backstory, she had "gunna' happen" written all over her. And since that's not true for anyone else, I think everyone else if safe. For now. Until the spooning incident happens, then all bets are off.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I hope we get some new pages for the comic uploaded soon

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

"I hope we get some new pages for the comic uploaded soon"

Need to make the necessary offerings.
Last edited by spacewhale on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

spacewhale wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:20 am
Need to make the necessary offerings.
More like this one. Or maybe you want to volunteer?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

G. Janssen wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:11 pm

Mine was okayish, got back from hospital that day (not myself, my son's been hospitalized)

How was yours?

But your text reminded me of this cracker-lighting: (spoilered for size)
SpoilerShow
ImagePlease don't do that!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:26 am
Spoilers, patrons! 😱
Have a care for the regular readers.
That doesn't help those of use who obsessively-compulsively expand every spoiler.

By the way... HI!!
Pleasantly abstruse