The Flash Is Better Than Across The Spider-verse...

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

The Flash Is Better Than Across The Spider-verse...

Post by Bamax »

Slight spoilers follow... nothing major though.

Like Across The Spiderverse (ATS), The Flash features a muliverse of variant timelines and events.

I feel it is the better film if you are an adult, since the villains do not come off as cheesy like in the the Spider-verse sequel (becoming a multi-versal threat just to be taken more seriously as a supervillain). Villains need reasons apart from their earning the respect of their hero nemesis (especially if they barely know them as in ATS).

I must have missed the quote part because I had a quick bathroom break... but it sums up the movie in a nutshell and how it ends.

Nora Allen : " ... when I was a little girl, Grandma taught me a prayer: Accept the things you cannot change. Have the courage to change the things you can... and have the wisdom to know the difference."

Interestingly this was the same theme woven into one of my favorite Supergirl comic story arcs, which begins with Beyond Good and Evil and ends in the Way Of The World arc.

What I like about such a theme is that it is an ultimate truth that we as humans often grapple with and struggle to accept. So it is ultra interesting when superheroes, for all their power, have to make the same hard decisions we do as well as face the consequences of their actions.

It is no good if a hero faces no consequences and has no struggles... because that is NOT how we grow to become stronger or better than what we were.

I think in any story that is key. Everything should have a cost and the story must show or acknowledge it, or else the viewers won't be as engaged as if they did.

Much is made of Sasha as Supergirl, but like Cavill she was a character of few words lol.

The one thing she carried over in her lines that fits comic Supergirl is her less than enthusiastic response to saving humanity... because she is from Krypton and.... also was not treated nicely when she arrived in the movie.

In the comic Supergirl in her 2004 run and onward before New 52, Supergirl longs to go home to Argo, the city she lived in, and struggles to fit in among Earthlings, both trying and failing multiple times.

Still she does a lot of good along the way while showing novel uses of powers I did not even know Kryptonians had... since unlike her cousin she tends to think applying 100% power is the way to go on... a lot of fights.

Basically... if Superman shows up you can trust he won't intentionally try to hurt you if he does not have to.

Supergirl? Piss her off and she WILL hurt you... or if she is already pissed off over something else. Or she may even kill you if she is not pissed off because she does not realize just how much power she needs to apply to avoid killing... especially when fighting other superpowered folks.

Flash by the way, does get really pissed off in this movie, and does what previously I did not think was possible and only something Superman could do... really cool scene that shows how strong Flash can be when he puts all his focus and power into a fight.

Turrosh Mak

Re: The Flash Is Better Than Across The Spider-verse...

Post by Turrosh Mak »

My slight interest in seeing Michael Keaton as Batman again is outweighed by my disgust for Ezra Miller. I decided I'd rather rewatch Flash Point Paradox than reward Hollyweird for their questionable script and casting decisions.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:06 am
My slight interest in seeing Michael Keaton as Batman again is outweighed by my disgust for Ezra Miller. I decided I'd rather rewatch Flash Point Paradox than reward Hollyweird for their questionable script and casting decisions.
I thought Ezra Miller was quite comical as the Flash. Equally refreshing to see Michael Keaton as Batman again. Anyone else get the Nicholas Cage or George Clooney references? The after credits scene was disappointingly anti-climactic.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
Despite Exra Miller's offscreen issues.... the guy can act and does well as the Flash... even lapooning how annoying he is (there are 2 of him so he begins to see himself as others do).

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

:cry: l
Snoofman wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:17 pm
Turrosh Mak wrote:
I thought Ezra Miller was quite comical as the Flash. Equally refreshing to see Michael Keaton as Batman again. Anyone else get the Nicholas Cage or George Clooney references? The after credits scene was disappointingly anti-climactic.
Nicholas Cage was a Superman movie never (thankfully) made that featured Lex as a Kryptonian with powers and Braniac if memory serves me right

George Clooney was Batman.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
I am with you on this. The few things I have seen Ezra in do not convince me of his acting ability.