Happy Independence Day

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

StarCruiser

Re: Happy Independence Day

Post by StarCruiser »

We sometimes make too much 'noise' about our independence, while not actually doing enough to properly protect our freedom from those in power - or who desperately WANT to be in power.

Lots of false patriots (or as Thomas Paine said 'Sunshine Patriots') in the US will talk the talk, but not walk the walk. What happened after the last Presidential Election being a classic example of false patriots.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

StarCruiser wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:30 am
We sometimes make too much 'noise' about our independence, while not actually doing enough to properly protect our freedom from those in power - or who desperately WANT to be in power.

Lots of false patriots (or as Thomas Paine said 'Sunshine Patriots') in the US will talk the talk, but not walk the walk. What happened after the last Presidential Election being a classic example of false patriots.
Damn right!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

+1

Democracy is a daily uphill struggle.
Everyone needs to stay informed, at least in general lines about the current best chanced candidates to become "prime-minister/chancellor/president", and elect accordingly (if you keep informed: vote the party/candidate that fits your interests best; if you don't have the time or are not interested: the party that has an ongoing record of upholding the separation of powers, and next criteria being your political colour). And that means possibly voting against your own preferences, just because the candidate of the party you usually prefer is a "non-democrat".

And DO VOTE.

In the current situation in many EU-countries (like my home country DE with its Alternative Against Germany ("AgD")), every non-vote often results in a vote pro-populism. In DE it's even worse. The "liberals" are... blocking most works in the Government (which they do form part of), and the Bavarian part of the conservatives is trying to keep votes from falling to the right border, and have become very populistic as well, while also actively blocking any way forward to make instruments that can later help in guiding the energy transition.
Most of "my political landscape" has become non-electable.
At least in DE we only have a 5% hurdle, and not a first-past-the-post system, thus smaller parties actually have good chances of being elected into the second-largest parliament of the world. So that will be where my Vote will go next time.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Curlysan

Post by Curlysan »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:13 am
"As honorary chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend to you a laurel and hardy handshake."
-- Beryl (probably) A Blazing Saddles reference, excellent. "Hey! I didn't get a harumph outa that guy!?" -One of those great comedies you couldn't make today & that's a shame.
Arioch wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:55 am
The Statue of Liberty, in particular, is a monument to the virtues of immigration. Not exactly fascist stuff.
The Statue of Liberty is first and foremost a monument to the ideals of freedom and liberty. It's association with "the virtues of immigration" came later with the opening of the Ellis Island immigration station in 1892. The plaque with the "Give me your tired ..." sonnet was added in 1903, 17 years after the statue's initial dedication.

So, technically correct (the best kind of correct).
I'll leave the political discussion for others and just say Thank you Arioch for the nice picture of Beryl to appreciate!

Curlysan

Post by Curlysan »

Editing is hard. Didn't mean to make that look as something Turrosh said. .