some questions

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Finn MacCool

some questions

Post by Finn MacCool »

1. in the loroi timeline article, there's this entry:

"1295-1325 Mannadi-Nissek War (also “Quiet War”). Loroi join in 1329, but see no combat."

are those dates correct? if so, it's no wonder they didn't see any combat.

2. what's the loroi's point on singing? do they sing normally, do they have some sort of telepathic equivalent or do they just hate it because it involves (a kind of) speech?

3. can wordplays be used in a telepathic conversation?

4. is there a way for us (the readers) to help increase the update rate without spending money or having artistic abilities?

osmium

Re: some questions

Post by osmium »

1) we'll have to wait for Arioch on that.

2) I think there are operas or "spoken" stories passed along. I'm not sure what form it would take but I assume there would be a way to modulate your telepathic transmissions to indicate that one were telling a story or performing in some way. I'm not would be a direct analog though, where music is basically the result of destructive and constructive interference of pressure waves interacting with the ear drum which is a very physical interaction and we know nothing of the physics of telepathy or if there would be any sort of similar telepathic interactions that might allow the creation of very similar "singing" groups like choruses or if they're limited to forms of performance that are more akin to spoken word poetry or plays without song.

3) I would say yes. Certainly one could use metaphors which is a form of wordplay. Also I assume if one were good enough at emotional control or control over sending there could be a similarly interesting juxtaposition of emotions that are incongruous with the message being send that could also be used in a similarly playful manner (for instance sexual innuendo, although I assume that is significantly less prevalent in Loroi culture, I think it's a good fit on the human side for what I was intending to imply).

4) I would sort of think not much, but obviously Arioch is free to try to flex his minions if he so desires.

-O

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Finn MacCool wrote:are those dates correct? if so, it's no wonder they didn't see any combat.
Well, that certainly explains the lack of casualties. Loroi historians have been wondering about that for a long time... math never was their strong suit.

(at some time in the past I reduced the length of the war from 74 to 30 years, but neglected to shift the start date of Loroi participation.)

The Loroi don't dislike singing or have any taboos against it, it's just that they have no cultural tradition of song. The spoken word is a relatively modern phenomenon for them, whereas song in most cultures is extremely ancient. Loroi storytelling is almost exclusively telepathic. I'm sure somewhere there are Loroi who have learned to sing Barsam hymns or the like, but this would be considered a completely foreign pursuit.
Finn MacCool wrote:can wordplays be used in a telepathic conversation?
Telepathy is very direct and literal, so euphemism or double-meaning is difficult; the mental symbols are very specific, and the speed of communication makes the choice of vocabulary largely unconscious. Wit is more about the degree to which one's thoughts are organized rather than clever choice of symbols, and Loroi humor tends to focus on the ridiculous or nonsensical, and subjects of shock value, rather than word play.
Finn MacCool wrote:is there a way for us (the readers) to help increase the update rate without spending money or having artistic abilities?
Not really.

Finn MacCool

Post by Finn MacCool »

that's a shame...
but thanks for the answers nonetheless.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

:) I just consider myself lucky to be able to discuss my enjoyment with others who enjoy the story as well! Plus a REAL bonus is occasionally getting the thoughts of the Designer/writer/artist behind it all! I'm VERY Content! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:
Finn MacCool wrote:is there a way for us (the readers) to help increase the update rate without spending money or having artistic abilities?
Not really.
And with money?

Finn MacCool wrote:that's a shame...
but thanks for the answers nonetheless.
Uh oh, be careful. Complaining about it always led to longer pauses in the past...
sapere aude.

Finn MacCool

Post by Finn MacCool »

:?:
i was not complaining, just expressing that i find it a pity that there's no way for me to help.