My Theory On How Loroi Sanzai Began...

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: My Theory On How Loroi Sanzai Began...

Post by Arioch »

Jagged wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:00 am
Arioch wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:15 am
Demarquis wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 pm
Well, I am aware of research that indicates that when we decide to move our arm, the signal to do so originates outside of the pre-frontal cortex (where conscious thought takes place). The motor signal actually arrives at the arm a fraction of a second *before* we consciously think the decision to move it.
Unless you're talking about a subconscious movement like a flight response or a reflex action, that doesn't make any sense.
Still true though. Which is why some researchers make the (quite frankly scary) suggestion that our consciousness is just a charade that happens after the fact :shock:
I'm aware that a lot of our decision making is strongly influenced by unconscious processes, and I'm also aware that most of our motor functions run on local neural processes more than explicit conscious commands. But if I'm sitting in a chair and I decide that I need to get up and go do something, to say that the nerve signals to start motor function arrive before I've made the decision to move (which is what Demarquis appears to be saying) is to claim that nerve signals travel backwards in time. If you say that this claim is supported by research, I challenge you to specify that research, and I'll pretty much guarantee that such research doesn't actually claim what you purport it does.

As for the suggestion that consciousness is just an illusion (which is not what we were talking about), that sounds more to me like philosophy than science, since science can't clearly define what consciousness is.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Its farcical anyhow.

"hmm today i will correlate movement and speech to MRI scans and then draw conclusions from this"

"Actually your consciousness lives solely in this one geometric region of your brain" - a thought expressed by the truly deranged

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:00 pm
But if I'm sitting in a chair and I decide that I need to get up and go do something, to say that the nerve signals to start motor function arrive before I've made the decision to move (which is what Demarquis appears to be saying) is to claim that nerve signals travel backwards in time. If you say that this claim is supported by research, I challenge you to specify that research, and I'll pretty much guarantee that such research doesn't actually claim what you purport it does.
That's not what I was trying to say at all. Its the idea that the bit of our brain that talks to us and pretends to be in the driving seat is not the one making the actual decisions.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

It's known as "Libet's Experiment" (https://neurons.ai/blog/news-stories/fr ... xperiment/) and what Jagged and I are telling you is quite accurate. I would add, in addition to what that web page I just linked to reports (in which subjects self-report when they plan to move their fingers) other versions of the experiment use MRI scans to determine exactly when the motor cortex vs. the pre-frontal cortex (where conscious thought occurs) activates, and indeed the motor signal is sent to the arm before the pre-frontal cortex begins processing the decision to do it. Which implies that other regions of our mind than conscious thought have control over our voluntary movements. Some people take this as evidence that free will (actually, they mean conscious agency) is an illusion, and that our conscious decisions to do things are mere post hoc rationalizations of choices made by pre-conscious processes in other areas of the brain. It's worth noting (as the web page does) that this is controversial and that these conclusions have been criticized on various grounds.

If you are interested, I encourage you to look up the "Neuroscience of Free Will" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will wikipedia article, which is fascinating.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Demarquis wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:53 pm
It's known as "Libet's Experiment" (https://neurons.ai/blog/news-stories/fr ... xperiment/) and what Jagged and I are telling you is quite accurate. I would add, in addition to what that web page I just linked to reports (in which subjects self-report when they plan to move their fingers) other versions of the experiment use MRI scans to determine exactly when the motor cortex vs. the pre-frontal cortex (where conscious thought occurs) activates, and indeed the motor signal is sent to the arm before the pre-frontal cortex begins processing the decision to do it. Which implies that other regions of our mind than conscious thought have control over our voluntary movements. Some people take this as evidence that free will (actually, they mean conscious agency) is an illusion, and that our conscious decisions to do things are mere post hoc rationalizations of choices made by pre-conscious processes in other areas of the brain. It's worth noting (as the web page does) that this is controversial and that these conclusions have been criticized on various grounds.

If you are interested, I encourage you to look up the "Neuroscience of Free Will" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will wikipedia article, which is fascinating.

I think the true answer is that that the body is designed to act and sense as one, with many automatic features to aid in that.

What you describe as actions not originating with conscious thought are still actions taken by a body with complex sensors and intelligence on even a molecular scale unlike any artificial thing we have ever made.

Not only are we intelligent, but we are hosts of semi-intelligent bacteria.

What am saying is that thought that the human bidy has intelligence gathering and procesding loxated throughout it's organs and not just the brain is not farfected at all, and sounds a lot more reasonable than some metaphysical theory that are thoughts are not real.