Page 92

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Nathan_

Re: Page 92

Post by Nathan_ »

Ktrain wrote:In what sense are scouts expendable? I mean if you are looking at the situation from the perspective of Civ4 I guess that could be a correct assumption.
Someone going into the unknown is taking quite a bit of risk, so they'd better not be something you can't afford to lose.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Arioch wrote:The red and white coloration is Scout Corps. Colonial Fleet vessels are metal/gray with some red markings.
Ack! well, I am most put out after spending so long trying to get the Modular cruisers texture like the Bellermine's.

Heh, well, no worries, Arioch, do you have a sample of what the human military ships textures are like?

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Trantor wrote:"Sir, sorry, sir. If this is the way you treat your team i´ll cancel my application!"
*Noise of stool falling down.*
"Aaggh! What! Where did you come from?"

Hamilton look on to Jardin holding his hand over his chest and breaths heavely. ~My heart.~
Supporter of forum RPG

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

discord wrote:just one thing to say, three docking booms does not a huge space-harbor make.
Either those booms are attached to a space harbor, or those booms are part of a space carrier. I'd say the former is far more likely, as a space carrier that size would be very impressive.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Grats on starting a brand new chapter Arioch! I'll make sure to donate some cash as soon as I get paid. :D

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Ktrain wrote:
TrashMan wrote:This...actually makes a lot of sense.
I reackon with acess to alien tech (Orgus) humanity got a boost in it's technology, but I doubt the scouts themselves got any upgrades. Scouts are by defintion expendable. No reason to spend resources on it.
In what sense are scouts expendable?
In what sense aren't they? A single scout cost less resources to build and mantain. And you're going to send it into hte unknown to make contact with a potentially hostile alien race.

Makes more sense to spend resources upgrading your true warships with state-of-the-art tech, not the scouts.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

TrashMan wrote:
Ktrain wrote:In what sense are scouts expendable?
In what sense aren't they? A single scout cost less resources to build and mantain. And you're going to send it into hte unknown to make contact with a potentially hostile alien race.

Makes more sense to spend resources upgrading your true warships with state-of-the-art tech, not the scouts.
But in Outsider-verse you can't expand examined area until they came back.
Supporter of forum RPG

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Eh? Since when?
I'd immagine Bellarime makes periodic reports, or can leave navigational bouyos of some sort. It's not like humanity is sending scouts wiht the purpose of expansion anway.

Note that a replacement scout can be built a lot faster than a replacement heavy cruiser.
And if the native turn out to be hostile, you want your best tech on the heavy hitters, not scouts. Better use of resources and you don't show the potential enemy your best cards.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

think about it, if you play RTS and you want to explore the map and find your enemy.

Do you send:
A) The less expensive but yet fast unit at the 4 edge of the map
B) The strongest most advanced unit
C) Move your whole army around until you find something and try to obliterate it.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

ZerglingImage

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Obnoxiously big, sry.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

TrashMan wrote:Eh? Since when?
I'd immagine Bellarime makes periodic reports, or can leave navigational bouyos of some sort. It's not like humanity is sending scouts wiht the purpose of expansion anway.

Note that a replacement scout can be built a lot faster than a replacement heavy cruiser.
And if the native turn out to be hostile, you want your best tech on the heavy hitters, not scouts. Better use of resources and you don't show the potential enemy your best cards.
Only loroi have non-lag communication. Because of distance, the report or boyo signal comes to use 200 years later.
That is too much to wait, if the potential enemy could find us in couple of months (maybe less if (s)he found our scouts).
Supporter of forum RPG

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Grayhome wrote:Zergling
so it the less expensive unit that so squishy alone the enemy wont even fell if he attack

bunnyboy wrote:Only loroi have non-lag communication. Because of distance, the report or boyo signal comes to use 200 years later.
That is too much to wait, if the potential enemy could find us in couple of months (maybe less if (s)he found our scouts).
That kind of a misconception caused by giving too much credit to the farseer.

The loroi make use of fast courier (like mozin's ship) for their "somewhat FTL" communication.

but i must say that dropping signal buoy (man this word is annoying to find when your not a native speaker) is the best way to have your enemy backtrack you to ether you support vessel or your homeworld

Aygar

Post by Aygar »

bunnyboy wrote:Only loroi have non-lag communication.
While farseer's can telepathically communicate mind to mind over interstellar distances the transmit portion of their communication causes the telepathic equivalent of bursting of the ear drums (IIRC permanent telepathic hearing loss).

What farseers can sense (without detrimental effects) is the spatial location of minds. While this can be used to transmit information by giving specific formations of ships specific meanings. The speed at which random concepts could be transmitted would be very slow and incredibly inconvenient. Transmission speed of predetermined concepts would be much faster but far more limited and still very inconvenient.

--Aygar
--Aygar

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Karst45 wrote:but i must say that dropping signal buoy (man this word is annoying to find when your not a native speaker) is the best way to have your enemy backtrack you to ether you support vessel or your homeworld
That's trivial to work around...have the buoy only respond to a command sent by a Terran ship. No command, it stays silent and looks like a random bit of drifting space junk. Not only does this provide security, it means the buoy doesn't use up its power supply broadcasting to an empty system.

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

You are forgetting one thing, space vessals in the outsider 'verse are really expensive. It is very inefficient to send anything for deep space exploration missions with more then what is necessary for the vessal to do it's job. Not to mention that it's pointless if everything you have is so far outclassed that anything you make for the sole intention of combat is a waste of money.

@Mjolnir:
Except you know the fact that it's an intact alien device, space junk or not, the Loroi made a big enough deal to risk their fleet over a space wreck and blow the thing up so the Umniak couldn't get their hands on it, a random unidentified seemingly alien object floating in space that looks intact would most likely be salvaged with as much rigor. Whether or not they'll find it is a another matter but if they do they won't ignore it. Thats how the Terrans got in contact with the fleeing refugees afterall.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Imbrooge wrote:Except you know the fact that it's an intact alien device, space junk or not, the Loroi made a big enough deal to risk their fleet over a space wreck and blow the thing up so the Umniak couldn't get their hands on it, a random unidentified seemingly alien object floating in space that looks intact would most likely be salvaged with as much rigor. Whether or not they'll find it is a another matter but if they do they won't ignore it. Thats how the Terrans got in contact with the fleeing refugees afterall.
You only know that if you actually find the thing, notice that it's not a random rock, and pick it up. Odds of that occurring are effectively nil. Even if you suspect one's in the system and in the area of a jump zone, it will require a very thorough survey to have any chance at finding such an object. We're not talking projectiles or starships here, we're talking a little box that listens for a particular signal and sends a message in response, and will be put on a low speed trajectory like all the other debris in the system so it's still in the right general area when the message's recipient comes along. It's not going to lead anyone to the Terran worlds. And it's not how we contacted the Orgus...a starship of refugees fled into Terran space.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Aygar wrote:What farseers can sense (without detrimental effects) is the spatial location of minds. While this can be used to transmit information by giving specific formations of ships specific meanings. The speed at which random concepts could be transmitted would be very slow and incredibly inconvenient. Transmission speed of predetermined concepts would be much faster but far more limited and still very inconvenient.
Makes me wonder how effective telepathic semaphore could be.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Tamren wrote:Makes me wonder how effective telepathic semaphore could be.
Just wire up your crew's brains so you can rapidly put them to sleep and wake them up to blink out the message to watching farseers.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I was thinking take prisoners, execute prisoners in batches... small small small.. big big big... small small small... oh snap!