Page 92

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

javcs

Page 92

Post by javcs »

So now we get to see why Jardin got selected. Excellent.

Trantor

Re: Page 92

Post by Trantor »

Huge space-harbor. Always wondered if these are realistic, especially in the early stages like we have here with humanity.
Also due to the early stage - what actions makes a captain a "legend"? There couldn´t have been huge battles by now to create a Horatio Nelson or a Rommel?

But a nice move - a good moment for a short flashback. I like it.
Last edited by Trantor on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sapere aude.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Maybe he's an early pioneer of hyperspace?

Anyway, I wonder if we'll finally get to see some of that legendary backtalk Alex seemed to be known for.
Ashrain is best rain.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Trantor wrote:Also due to the early stage - what actions makes a captain a "legend"? There couldn´t have been huge battles by now to create a Horatio Nelson or a Rommel?
Explorers like Richard Burton and John Speake were famous in their time, but not necessarily because of any military conquests. Since the Scout Corps is specifically for exploration, I don't think it's that far-fetched.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

He got selected because he was a greenhorn so the telepathic aliens he was going to meet couldn't mind probe anything valuable out of him, is still my theory.

Trader Jimm

Post by Trader Jimm »

A mission to go meet the aliens should include some diversity, because you never know what you will run into. In this case, the diversity was more or less wasted by loss of the rest of the crew. Consider how the story would be different if Captain Hamilton had been the sole survivor or Ellen Kirkland.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Anyone else notice the destroyer docked in the second panel?

Also, EYEBROWS Image
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

I was going to ask somthing but Trentor beat me to it so I'll ask somthing else. are all of the TCA's ships red and white or is it just the Scout Corp? what kind of Captain is Hamilton, will we get to see?
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Don't you mean...what kind of captain 'WAS' Captain Hamilton? As far as we know...the bridge of the 'Bell' took a direct hit and Alex is the only survivor...
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The red and white coloration is Scout Corps. Colonial Fleet vessels are metal/gray with some red markings.
manticore7 wrote:what kind of Captain is Hamilton, will we get to see?
I'm not sure what you mean by "what kind." Hamilton is a Scout Corps captain. He is famous for Going Where No Man Has Gone Before, not for any military exploits. The Scout Corps is technically an armed service, but combat is not their purpose.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

I think sunphoenix is referring to Captain Hamilton's "command style." And as that seems to be a fairly important theme so far, I too am interested to see what Alex's CO was like.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Trantor wrote:Also due to the early stage - what actions makes a captain a "legend"? There couldn´t have been huge battles by now to create a Horatio Nelson or a Rommel?
Sure there weren't any interstellar wars, but Humanity already has six worlds, four of which are in other star systems. Finding an exploitable world and mapping a safe course to it would be a noteworthy achievement.

Humanity has also already had contact with another alien race, the Orgus. Perhaps the Scout Corps was involved in that contact, perhaps not. I think being involved in managing Orgus contact would have been an incredible achievement, since humanity gained so much from it.

Not to mention that hyperspace travel is dangerous, so Hamilton might be legendary for his instincts regarding jumps, or an ability to notice details that would have made one of his jumps go bad that nobody else saw, things of that nature.

Or maybe Hamilton never gets hyperspace sickness, and so is legendary for maintaining a chipper and upbeat attitude while everyone else is puking their guts out.

It could be that he helped design some of the current jump drive components, or understands hyperspace better than most other humans.

Maybe he just plays a mean game of poker.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Grayhome wrote:He got selected because he was a greenhorn so the telepathic aliens he was going to meet couldn't mind probe anything valuable out of him, is still my theory.
Could be. but remember, it the first group to be trained since the orgus. so i guess they received special training that veteran couldn't have and/or care to receive.
Arioch wrote:Hamilton is a Scout Corps captain. He is famous for Going Where No Man Has Gone Before
so is he a Kirk or a Picard?

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

it the first group to be trained since the orgus
Yeah my theory is a bit darker and edgier, see if they trained the scout crews with 5 year old tech and shipped them out in an incredibly obsolete vessel the majority of the crew (if not all) thinks is top of the line they would be expendable assets that knew the rehearsed lines that would help humanity but not the recent tech advancements that would make Terra vulnerable to a massive invasion fleet. If you think a single division can take an empire, you don't send 10 when you need to conserve your forces.

When Alex finds out he gonna be sooooo mad. Might have to add a few names to his "List of Vengeance".

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Karst45 wrote:so is he a Kirk or a Picard?
Carl Hamilton appeared in the original pilot episode, later expanded upon in a flashback episode.
Carl Hamilton's replacement as captain of the Bellarmine by a younger, somewhat goofier maverick captain with a habit of speaking his mind a bit too often, who has managed to completely surround himself with sexy alien women.
Carl Hamilton seems to be neither Kirk nor Picard, but Pike.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Solemn wrote:
Sure there weren't any interstellar wars, but Humanity already has six worlds, four of which are in other star systems. Finding an exploitable world and mapping a safe course to it would be a noteworthy achievement.

Humanity has also already had contact with another alien race, the Orgus. Perhaps the Scout Corps was involved in that contact, perhaps not. I think being involved in managing Orgus contact would have been an incredible achievement, since humanity gained so much from it.

Not to mention that hyperspace travel is dangerous, so Hamilton might be legendary for his instincts regarding jumps, or an ability to notice details that would have made one of his jumps go bad that nobody else saw, things of that nature.

It could be that he helped design some of the current jump drive components, or understands hyperspace better than most other humans-
Ok, being a Pioneer is fair enough. Didn´t thought of it.

Solemn wrote:Or maybe Hamilton never gets hyperspace sickness, and so is legendary for maintaining a chipper and upbeat attitude while everyone else is puking their guts out.

Maybe he just plays a mean game of poker.
Meh. That´d be too much of a hype then.

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote:Hamilton is a Scout Corps captain. He is famous for Going Where No Man Has Gone Before
so is he a Kirk or a Picard?
More a Leif Eriksson. ;)
sapere aude.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Trantor wrote:Meh. That´d be too much of a hype then.
I don't think you understand quite how good he is at poker.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

yeah I would be sweating bullets ( KE rounds ???) if the captain just kept reading his record. happen to me once of twice, never liked the shrinking feeling on the other side of the table.

well enough going down memory lane

really nice start for a chapter, really looking forward to getting the back story from the terrain side.

as for Capt Hamilton's achievements, he might have found one or two of the systems that currently has a colony in it, and then he went one to chart various system and find short cuts ?

can't wait to see Ellen again
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

discord

Post by discord »

just one thing to say, three docking booms does not a huge space-harbor make.

Cy83r

Post by Cy83r »

discord wrote:just one thing to say, three docking booms does not a huge space-harbor make.
Actually, it kind of does, that's more or less an entire pier in a docking complex, and in space? that's expletive-inducingly huge.