After Chapter 2

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Sanguinius

After Chapter 2

Post by Sanguinius »

I came across this place recently after seeing it mentioned on /tg, and was wondering something after reading through some of the support material you've provided Arioch. You say you had planned for this series to be 7 chapters long but you plan to review what you'e going to do after you finish chapter 2. If after you finish chapter 2 you decide not to continue the series, do you intend to provide a plot summary of how you intended the story to go had you continued to chapter 7 or what're your plans if any in regards to this issue?

P.S. Congratulations on creating such an interesting series, I've read through the comic several times and through the support material and I could only make out 3 "bugs" with it, which is quite a feat for a nitpicker like me.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: After Chapter 2

Post by Arioch »

What I mean when I say I am committed to finishing through Chapter 2, I mean in the current comic format. If for some reason I decide that it's not practical to finish the whole comic in this full-color comic format, then I will finish the story in some other way. This might be in an illustrated text format, or perhaps even straight prose, but in any case the story won't be abandoned.

I might also decide to take some time off to work on something else before returning to Outsider, but I don't currently plan to consider that before the end of Chapter 2.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

well, Arioch I hope you do continue the comic is its current form. I understand that making the comic is not always easy ( give RL and other concerns), yet I really enjoy your work and Outsider, in particular. Every update makes me excited to see another view into your world that you've created.

I know what I wrote may sound worry some ( Anti-jinks here) or i might have gotten things or impression wrong, but it just how i feel about a possible end to the current comic formate. Though I am glad the story will be told, in one form or another.

NOMAD
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

So long as we're passing out unsolicited advice, I'd consider doing the later chapters in black and white, then coming back later with color when you have more time. As an added bonus, it would give a chance to make major editorial changes with the images themselves, not just the text.

No matter what happens though, I'm glad to hear that you plan on continuing the story. When it comes to quality, Outsider really is ahead of the pack.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

You coudl alwas do black-and-white and add color later :P

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

As the 3d background is already colored. I don't think that will speed up the comic.

Rather if someone other (like us) could do modelling or something else...
Supporter of forum RPG

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Gudo wrote:So long as we're passing out unsolicited advice,
I'm that bad, aren't I ? :oops:

well what ever Arioch choses, if fine with me then.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Author knows better how to present own creation. Ranobe - an interesting format too.
But if will need art help, I'll be glad to provide it.

LegioCI

Post by LegioCI »

I was actually thinking about this recently, and since the bot necro'd up the post I figure I could throw in my own unsolicited advice. I think the best bet might be for Arioch to continue with story and pencils, but bring in someone to do inking and colors which is, from what I understand, the most time-consuming part of doing a comic. (I'm sure there's probably plenty of people among your readers who'd jump at the chance to be attached to a webcomic like this.)
"But notice how the Human thinks. 'Interesting... how can I use this as a weapon?'" - Arioch

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

We can worry about crossing that bridge when we come to it.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

It's not just inking and coloring, Arioch also does 3D modelling for a lot of stuff as well.

Sprawl63

Post by Sprawl63 »

Is the "something else" related to the Second Six concept you put up a while ago?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sprawl63 wrote:Is the "something else" related to the Second Six concept you put up a while ago?
Maybe; I have a number of different projects. But I don't have any fixed plans about this. The end of Chapter 2 is some distance in the future.

Michael

Post by Michael »

perhaps dropping the 3D? i don't know if that would save you much time but then it may take something away from what you've done here, perhaps if you look at your "favorite" pic from the comic and then change it ether by making it all 2d or B&W or whatever and just play around with it, see how you best like it and which style save the most time and then post it here for review. Thats just my opinion though, theres really no need to go spreading it around (ha, ME2 quote there, see if you can guess where from)

also, can i just say how great the comic is and that i totally understand how hard it must be for you to just post each new scene and worry about how it'll be received, let alone thinking about changing the style you plan to use in future and with real life getting in the way i think i speak for us all when i say we appreciate the work you do and we'll all still read it regardless of what you do with it
(unless you decide its too much hassle and drop it completely, then we'll have to look somewhere else for hot blue space elves, do you know how hard it is to find one? its not easy i can assure you :D )
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

discord

Post by discord »

HERESY!

Codius_Dak

Post by Codius_Dak »

In all honesty i think Arioch is more than capable of making awesome hand drawn scenery and space battles. if he needs to go to a all drawn format then i feel that there would be nothing lost from the visual stunning awesomeness of outsider. I am currently enjoying the Our intrepid Crew comic, and it is all hand drawn.

so in short i'm just saying what ever Arioch Chooses I will support.
Hope is renewed by the brilliant dawn.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Codius_Dak wrote:In all honesty i think Arioch is more than capable of making awesome hand drawn scenery and space battles. if he needs to go to a all drawn format then i feel that there would be nothing lost from the visual stunning awesomeness of outsider. I am currently enjoying the Our intrepid Crew comic, and it is all hand drawn.

so in short i'm just saying what ever Arioch Chooses I will support.
I agree, the Templest bridge set was all 3-d, but all the battle scene were mostly hand drawn ( with CG model reference). if those 20-30 pages or so aren't his best work I don't know what is ( unless their is a surprise in store ?)

Their is also the insider guide that divides Arioch attention and away from work on the comic,from time to time. Something I can understand, having found the need to revise designs or world setting for the stories I pen. ( Hell, Drowtales webcomic revised the first 8 chapter because its D&D origins weren't working out with how the story was working, the same happen to novel writers or other literal professions). For myself,and i believe some other here as well, I/we/they really enjoy seeing all the detail that Arioch has put into Outsider ( just look at how much detail is argued over in forum posts over say; Loroi uniforms material, whos the better looking Loroi character or how humans would effect the Loroi war effort in various ways ( RD, tatics, fleets, nav routes etc) .