[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

TheUnforsaken

Re: [RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Post by TheUnforsaken »

lol, not a problem :)

@icekatze, I need to know what's working aboard the DeSoto, particularly the comms and other major systems...probably easier than asking what's broken ;)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Real life is conspiring against me... I'm not sure if I'll be able to get back to you in detail until this weekend. I'm hoping friday night, but it might not be till sunday. :(

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

As per standard chain of command, Donna Ptak (the XO) would assume command. Whether or not the Loroi agree with that is another matter, as they have some extra-ordinary powers of their own (like the ability to commandeer a vessel if they choose) but nobody has been able to make solid contact with the Pure Wind yet.

Here's a visual representation of the beam strike and most heavily damaged areas.

Damage to one of the DeSoto's engines is likely the biggest problem. You can push yourselves with 3 engines, but you cant go in a straight line without expending large amounts of maneuvering propellant in the process. Engineering would recommend shutting down the #3 engine as well and running on the remaining 2 while not in combat.

Collateral damage from the engine hit is pretty severe too. The main fusion power plant is damaged, but repairs shouldn't be too hard to do.

One of the big things, which I'm going to be pulling into the dialogue is the fact that the DeSoto's FTL drive is completely toast, kaput, dead, out of order. In order to leave the system, someone is going to have to find a replacement. (The status of the FTL drive on the Pure Wind is unknown, but thats the only other FTL drive in the system that you know about at the moment)

A lot of the sensors on the DeSoto have been damaged and will require maintanence, but none of it is serious. Its mostly just a matter of replacing lens covers and re-calibrating them.

Comm systems are damaged, but there are auxiliary systems. They just don't have the same kind of finesse. You'll be able to pick up transmissions directed at you, but your ability to eaves drop on other communications is going to be severely reduced.

You've lost about 1/4th of your living quarters, or at least, there's a big gaping hole in the walls of 1/4th of them. People are going to start feeling a little cramped I bet, and even more so if you end up picking up Loroi survivors.

There's been some extensive damage to electrical systems due to a power surge when the laser turret blew, so it'll take damage control a little while to restore power to every console and widget on the ship whose fuses are blown out.

You used up about half of your atmosphere reserve, but environmental recycling is still working fine.

Both laser turrets are off-line. On the turret that got hit by the beam weapon, its tracking mechanism and power capacitor were essentially vaporized. It still has a focusing lens and half of its reflecting chamber. The other laser has a partially damaged lens and a damaged coolant system (with some collateral damage from the latter blowing up)

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm going to see if there's a way if I can iron out some of the inconsistencies in what's been said recently in-character.

As it currently stands by my records:

The Pure wind is currently moving away from you at about 7500 km/s. (you're moving at about 3500 km/s, they're moving about 4000 km/s the other direction) Reduced to 3.25 Gs, it'll take 65 hours to cancel out that velocity difference, by then you will have moved 5.865 AUs apart. I don't have the exact math, but I estimate it'll be just under a week before you can intercept them (unless they can get their remaining engine back up and running) If you don't rescue them and they don't get their engine back up and running, they'll coast off into deep space, lost forever.

The enemy gunboat is currently chasing you down at about 28Gs. They will intercept you in a few hours.

So... I'll have to think of something.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Umm...whoops? :lol:

Not to worry icekatze, most of what we've done can still stand, we just have to change cutting the time to reach the Pure Wind to extending the time before the gunboat reaches us. The conference is still needed and I was going to suggest trying to talk to the gunboat anyway...which is pretty much a necessity now.

How much fuel will the DeSoto use up if we survive to get out to the Pure Wind and Back?

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL... we can just as easy adjust our posts... lol. Its just time increments. Plus I thought that the Gunboat had broken off chasing us...
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Chief Tactical Officer Gupton got carted off to medical before she could make any determination about the gunboat's plans. It was sort of left up in the air, but it seems as though the bridge is short staffed at the moment.

I know it must seem like a ridiculous amount of ∂v compared to real life, but with ships that regularly cruise at .01c , I'm going to say that you've got about .0525c worth of ∂v left in your tanks since you managed to save a lot of it with quick thinking when the fuel tanks got hit. So basically you can stop, accelerate back up to cruising, stop, and go back and fourth once more before you start having to really worry about running out of gas. (If you plan on towing the Pure Wind, thats another story though)

Also, you should be able to recover some of the remote probes you launched, since only a couple of them were destroyed taking out torpedos.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

So we won't have to get out and push? Thats a relief ;)

And the battle was kinda hard on the ship's bridge officers...

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

@sunphoenix, icekatze's post suggests the gunboat seems to be happy just to ghost DeSoto for the moment. Though that can obviously change. Given the disparity of capabilities now evident I don't think even clever maneuvers or functional lasers is going to remedy the situation. :(

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Unforsaken: Perhaps... but they would not have stopped burning fuel if it was not an issue. Thier maneuvering shows their drives are crippled in some fashion... Kam is willing to make the attempt at the very least to avoid them. If all they intend to do is ghost us... well they can 'ghost' us while we render aid to our allies. At least that is Kam's idea.

Plus, the only reason Kam can figure to match velocities is 1) An easy target solution, or 2) A boarding action... which Kam has no mind to make easy for them.

Once the Captain's on-bridge she can counter his directives if she sees fit... but Kam is military and thinks military... he's not going to roll over and play dead for any enemy - out-gunned or not. Better to die in battle than be captured for ...worse fates.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

sunphoenix wrote:@ Unforsaken: Perhaps... but they would not have stopped burning fuel if it was not an issue. Thier maneuvering shows their drives are crippled in some fashion... Kam is willing to make the attempt at the very least to avoid them. If all they intend to do is ghost us... well they can 'ghost' us while we render aid to our allies. At least that is Kam's idea.

Plus, the only reason Kam can figure to match velocities is 1) An easy target solution, or 2) A boarding action... which Kam has no mind to make easy for them.

Once the Captain's on-bridge she can counter his directives if she sees fit... but Kam is military and thinks military... he's not going to roll over and play dead for any enemy - out-gunned or not. Better to die in battle than be captured for ...worse fates.
Hmm, I hadn't considered some of that. Though I'm sure icekatze would say if we were in range of their weaponry.

Donna, I can assure you, has no intention of going down without a fight either, but I'm also certain that the crew and DeSoto can get out of this situation without a fight if they play their cards right. What they need most is time, it would be unfortunate to incite a reaction of some sort, but I guess doing nothing about the gunboat's actions could do that just as much as jinking around might ;)

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well barring them outmaneuvering us with half their drives, ramming us, or opening fire with weapons... they are going to have to do more than 'ghost' the DeSoto as long as Kam is calling the shots cause he is not going to be intimidated simply by their presence from setting as direct and aggressive a course to assist the PURE WIND and our Loroi allies.

Its that 'chivalrous' streak in him to 1) Never leave a man behind or abandon an ally and 2) The Loroi crew are all women... though it may seem silly he feels the need to protect them... call him 'old-fashioned' if you must.

Though Kam is not very fond of Captain Red Salt for putting us in this situation by effectively 'abandoning' the DeSoto and rushing ahead into the system, unsupported! If we would have been together we might have defeated the gunboat with our combined firepower and willy piloting!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Another fine example why the Loroi are their own worst enemy. This is turning out to be a very exciting scenario!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:Also, you should be able to recover some of the remote probes you launched, since only a couple of them were destroyed taking out torpedos.
well shouldn't they follow their programming? that is to ram the gunboat?

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Karst45 wrote:
icekatze wrote:Also, you should be able to recover some of the remote probes you launched, since only a couple of them were destroyed taking out torpedos.
well shouldn't they follow their programming? that is to ram the gunboat?
They may not have had the thrust to hit it and then they would have been past with little hope of intercepting it again...hopefully they were told to return to DeSoto, if possible, which should allow a couple to be recovered.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote:Kam asks, "Tactical Officer, given the flight characteristics of our shuttle on a full load of fuel - at a 60% burn of the shuttle's total available fuel, how close do we need to get for the shuttle to be able to reach the 'Pure Wind'?" [/color]
Am not an expert but Earl is. He know all the answer to those question as one of the shuttle is HIS shuttle. So this part should be answered by him.

i dont have the characteristic of the said shuttle and dont want to create a monster out of it. ill leave icekatze to answer those question the put my personal touche. You can see the description of what in the shuttle on my character bio (first page of this thread)

As for the 2 other. They are only drop ship that can hold 4 person. the description given by "icekatze" was that they were working similar to lunar lander, just more advanced.

So the only viable option is Earl shuttle.
sunphoenix wrote: Kam ponders outloud, "If the DeSoto proves a bigger target... perhaps the gunboat will pay more attention to it? A good pilot could avoid the token attacks made on the shuttle. Their previous engagement showed the gunboat Cptn directs his efforts against the biggest threat first..."
Referring to the previous quote: NO ONE TOUCHE MY SHUTTLE!!!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ulp! Ok. Thats all my mistake... I didn't know as characters... we could own a small spacecraft and bring it along... or Kam would soooo have done that! :) [Think Cowboy BeBop - Spike's 'Swordfish' spacefighter]

But that's water under the bridge. I did not read the drop shuttle's description close enough... my bad. I though the 'shuttle' on the DeSoto was a full shuttle... not just minimal drop ships. Kam would NEVER make plans assuming the use of someone else's property... especially not Cowboy's shuttle... he respects him waaay too much for that!

So I'm going to modify my post to only make plans for use of the Drop shuttles... they can still operate in space he just needs to make the 'rescue' team bare essentials and small, like 4 men small.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote: [Think Cowboy BeBop - Spike's 'Swordfish' spacefighter]
were ya think my inspiration come from :)
sunphoenix wrote: So I'm going to modify my post to only make plans for use of the Drop shuttles... they can still operate in space he just needs to make the 'rescue' team bare essentials and small, like 4 men small.
Well make your plan but i wouldnt mind going on a shuttle run, see what that baby have under the "hood" so to speak. But as i said, i dont know the specifict of said shuttle.

And am also assuming that Ice did read my bio and indeed approved of the said shuttle. It would be only logic to assume that i would bring the shuttle i spend so long to rebuild. That and i barely asked anything (as pay) other than food/drink, bed, and the said shuttle.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well Karst... have 'Cowboy' offer to do so... Kam is just not going to 'volunteer' someone else for a dangerous mission using their property. Kam is willing to take more risks with his own life. :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote:Well Karst... have 'Cowboy' offer to do so... Kam is just not going to 'volunteer' someone else for a dangerous mission using their property. Kam is willing to take more risks with his own life. :)

well when he see that you "drop pod" plan dont make sense surely i will come up with something. but yet again. i need to confirm the capacity of the said shuttle.

if it accelerate slower than the DeSoto right now it kind of useless.