[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: [RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Venting atmosphere won't give you a noticeable boost to your forward velocity, but it will give you a small bonus to your dodging due to subtle side to side motions which might help compensate for loss in forward acceleration. To dodge beam weapons at such close ranges, you pretty much have to be constantly changing vectors.

The enemy target has much more acceleration than you do either way. If they want to close to point blank range, where both sides are guaranteed a hit, they can do so at their discretion -though currently they seem to be avoiding that scenario. You still have a chance, between the DeSoto, Pure Wind and the Interceptors to score a solid hit before everyone on your side is wiped out though.

The DeSoto lost about 1/3rd of her in use atmosphere with the first attack. She has enough reserves to fully re-pressurize once. At the moment, the environmental recyclers are still intact... at the moment anyway.

Keeping the thrust wide open is a gamble. You're dodging is improved, but you run the risk of the engines failing entirely at an inopportune moment. At 100% safe thrust, the DeSoto will pull about 4Gs with 3 engines.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Makes sense Ice. We'll do that!

Kam is not venting entire decks of Atmo... he is blowing pressurized airlocks to give some added unpredictability to his Piloting Jinks. The Airlocks themselves are not being used for added thrust and their interior doors are not being cycled at all - only their exterior doors.

It is a drain on Atmo - yes... but its only an airlock full at a time... not whole decks... baring the already present hull breaches.

I have EDITED my post... see what you think now.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

TheUnforsaken wrote:Thanks icekatze :)

I'm guessing Earl launched all the probes since you didn't mention a number in the IC?
na ill keep at least one to cuddle with... i mean, in case we need to do some survey.
TheUnforsaken wrote:Umm, sunphoenix...I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but I don't think this'll work out too well. What's the thrust to weight ratio doing that sort of thing anyway? And how much spare atmo do you think DeSoto has on board?

You only had to cut thrust back to normal levels for each engine, not slash it to 20% and you could still use max thrust for short periods...
were playing it as fantasy, science fiction lover involved in a fantastic story, not some scientific planning to send a shuttle to mars. Roll with it :)

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Karst45 wrote:

I'm guessing Earl launched all the probes since you didn't mention a number in the IC?
na ill keep at least one to cuddle with... i mean, in case we need to do some survey.
Thats good...the keeping one bit, not the cuddling it bit ;)
Karst45 wrote:
TheUnforsaken wrote:Umm, sunphoenix...I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but I don't think this'll work out too well. What's the thrust to weight ratio doing that sort of thing anyway? And how much spare atmo do you think DeSoto has on board?

You only had to cut thrust back to normal levels for each engine, not slash it to 20% and you could still use max thrust for short periods...
were playing it as fantasy, science fiction lover involved in a fantastic story, not some scientific planning to send a shuttle to mars. Roll with it :)
I know, I know, I just like to make sure. Plus asking questions puts everyone on the same page.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

TheUnforsaken wrote:
Karst45 wrote:

Thats good...the keeping one bit, not the cuddling it bit ;)
You can cuddle all you want...so long as you clean the sensor probe off afterward! lol!

Kam would rather cuddle with a spunky Loroi fighter pilot chick... :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

*Ahem*... Allow me to begin.

im 12 wat is this?

All joking aside, I'd like to know if I'd be able to jump in on your RP. I've never RPed using stats or dice, (Only in what pretty much amounts to writing a story with six other people), or played any table top role playing games, however I think I know enough about their basic structure that I could learn the system fairly quickly. I'm also a fairly decent writer, and I've participated in a great many roleplays on various forums across the intrawebz. Plus I'm a massive scifi nut and this seems like just my kinda story.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

:)

You seem... well versed in expressing your ideas... at least in writing. It would be up to Icekatze though.

If you have not already done so... I suggest you read the entire web comic first, you probably have ...but you did not expressly say so. Also readying all the posts here ... in the OOC {Out of Character} thread and the IC {In-Character} thread for this particular PbP {play by post} game would give you come idea of the characters and situations as they currently stand.

We could indeed use someone to play the Loroi liason on-board the DeSoto.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm ok with people joining up, Fusebox. There's lots of information about the universe that Outsider takes place in if you look at the insider page, if you have any trouble with the setting. As for rules: we don't do a particularly large amount of dice rolling, but the rolling we do is pretty straight forward, just roll the appropriate amount of six sided dice and add the result together. There are some rules posted earlier in this thread on how to create a character.

Count Casimir still has his foot in the door concerning the Loroi officer on the DeSoto. Until he tells me he's letting that role go, he has the opportunity to join in whenever he has the inclination/time to do so. Any role that hasn't already been taken is fair game though.

Though I don't have huge amounts of free time, I do try to post at least one or two updates per week as the Game Master.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Thanks a ton, I'll take some time to read more of the insider stuff, so far I've only read about space travel and humanity. I have a few questions before I get writing a character. Firstly, what level of vulgarity is allowed, I'd prefer not to piss people off before I've even begun. Secondly, would anyone object to another security officer?

Double Edit:
I'm assuming since the ship does in fact have an armoury filled with weapons in need of maintenance, an armourer would be required. I saw multi-tasking roles in this game is recommended, so if it's alright I'd like to take up this banner as well.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Whatever you like Fusebox, I'm sure you'll do fine in whatever spot you decide.

Also...I'm a little confused, again ;) I thought Ferox was fixing the power cut to laser two? What exactly is the purpose of shunting more power to laser one?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

...More dakka?
{WA} Berj Tashjian (Post colour #004000)
Position: Security/Armourer
Bio: Armenian tank commander on loan to TCA as apart of a trade facilitating the upgrade of the Armenian Air Force.

“I'm sorry, but I didn't hold that damn pass in a seventy year old tank with burns across my back for two days for you to tell me that I'm no longer fit for service.”

Detailed Background:
SpoilerShow
Name: Berj Tashjian
Race:Human - Earth
Personality: Hard driving of subordinates' performance, if not their protocol and not very hard to anger, however has a knack for being able to keep his mouth buttoned when it is required. Is willing to choke his enemies with the bones of the fallen if that is what's needed to defend his homeland. Has a complete disdain for being on this mission.
Description: Stands at 5' 9” tall, 144 lbs. Black, prematurely greying and well on the way to balding hair always kept buzzed short. Pale Skin. Very fit, rugged build. Bares a large burn scar underneath his left armpit across his back and a two inch scar diagonally across the left side of his forehead. Prefers to wear an olive drab tanker jumpsuit both on duty and off.

Background: Born the third child of a family of farmers, Berj was raised in the countryside of Armenia, the country where he has lived for his entire life. He did adequate in school, enough to get him into a college with the intention of becoming a computer programmer, despite his parents' dissapproval. However, barely four months in, he dropped out and joined the military, much to his parents' delight. After a tour of duty in the infantry, Berj reenlisted and found his calling in the Tank Corp.

In twenty one years of service, he has been apart of two NATO lead campaigns in Africa and distinguished himself in defence of his country during a ten month long conflict with his country's southern neighbour, Iran. It was in this conflict that he was wounded during the final weeks and spent two years in recovery, nearly being honorarily discharged. However he eventually returned to active duty with a promotion to Warrant Officer, just in time to be loaned to the TCA as apart of a trade facilitating the upgrade of Armenia's air force.
Stats:
SpoilerShow
Fitness: 3
Precision: 3
Reflexes: 4

Knowledge: 2
Creativity: 3
Awareness: 3

Movement [3 + 4] = 110/500
Wound Capacity: 6 Light/Moderate/1 Serious/Incapacitated
Stress Capacity: 6 Light/Moderate/1 Serious/Incapacitated
Skills - 124/128 points spent
SpoilerShow
Basic Skills:
Leadership: Rank 4 (4 + 3) [10 pts]
Tactics: Rank 4 (4 + 3) [10 pts]
Piloting: Rank 3 (3 + 4) [6 pts]
Gunnery: Rank 5 (5 + 4) [15 pts]
Sensor Operation: Rank 1 (1 + 3) [1 pts]
Comm Operation: Rank 2 (2 + 3) [3 pts]
Firearms: Rank 3 (3 + 3) [6 pts]
Martial Arts: Rank 3 (3 + 3) [6 pts]
Freefall: Rank 2 (2 + 3/4) [3 pts]
Athletics: Rank 5 (5 + 3) [15 pts]
Infiltration: Rank 4 (4 + 3) [10 pts]
Empathy: Rank 2 (2 + 3) [3 pts]
Deception: Rank 3 (3 + 3) [6 pts]
Persuasion: Rank 2 (1 + 3) [3 pts]

Formal Education:
Language: (Armenian, English, Trade) – [PRE] Rank 2 (2 + 4) [3 pts]
Psychology/Sociology: Rank 2 (2 + 3) [3 pts]
Computer Science/Software Engineering: [CRE] Rank 3 (3 + 3) [6 pts]
Mathematics/Statistics/Logistics: [CRE] Rank 1 (1 + 3) [1 pts]
Computer Engineering: [CRE] Rank 1 (1 + 3) [1 pts]
Mechanical Engineering: [PRE] Rank 4 (4 + 4) [10 pts]
Structural Engineering: [CRE] Rank 2 (2 + 3) [3 pts]
Equipment:
SpoilerShow
-Personal pad
-Comm-link/Emergency Distress Beacon
-Spray bandages
-Vision Enhancement Goggles

Combat Equipment
- Security Suit (5d6 + 4)
- Honorary Pistol (3d6)
(Standard pistol with “For outstanding service in defense of Armenia.” engraved on the slide.)
- x6 magazines
- Combat Utility Knife (1d6 + 4)
- Security Foam
- Auto-shotgun (4 d6)
Gauge: 12 (preferred custom loaded “Rhodesian Jungle” shells, containing a combination of bird and buckshot)
Overall length: 36”
Barrel: 20” smooth bore
Weight: 2.53 kg (unloaded)
Magazine: 5 round tube + 1 in chamber
Effective Range: 50 meters

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Looks good Fusebox. During ship to ship combat, he'll probably be assigned to damage control, as much of the crew is. Ship to ship combat ought to be wrapping up one way or the other pretty soon here though.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

@sunphoenix

am not sure i understand your maneuver at all? You actually know that if we don't hit the torpedo we are dead.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Indeed, Umiak torpedos are homing weapons with an area of effect radius and more than ten times your current acceleration. If they're not dealt with, they will ruin your day. That being said, from a metagaming angle, you've already done enough in this encounter to avoid total death. The real question now is how beat up are you going to be when its all over.

Take that as you will... and thank both good piloting rolls on your part and terrible piloting rolls on their part.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sorry folks... but I do not have any real stats to look at like torpedo speeds compared to our ship's speed or listing of their blast radii. So I'm only doing what seems cool. We don't have a ship-to-ship set of B&W combat rules for me to really make an informed opinion of this upon. I'm dealing with abstracts here.

Had we chosen one of the game systems I'm familiar with... I could make a more tactical approach to such details of combat maneuvering and techniques that would work.

Current the system seems very similar to the West End Games STAR WARS Role-playing Game system.

So I 'll leave it up to the GM to interpret how things go.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Something recently occurred to me in regards to the small arms the ship's packing. Would it be inconceivable that the armory would be storing a number of survival rifles for use as hunting weapons and for scaring off predators should a crew be stranded on an alien planet? I'm thinking compact, medium caliber, semiautomatic carbines with small internal magazines to save on size. Built to be light, easily stored and reliable, with little regard given to ergonomics, fancy tech integration or use as an actual combat weapon.

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

Well I think DeSoto have standard armory where personal and assault weapons are hold when not used. As mentioned humans use projectile weaponry, firearms, guns , shotguns etc. The shape can be exotic but I'm sure most of weapons are very reliable and sturdy. Even if disgusted, I'm sure Loroi don't question potential of such weapons. Some one said that they use laser weapons which in my opinion are inferior to projectile weaponry.

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Well a list of armaments was posted earlier, I think page two. It listed two types of firearms, officer side arms, and then jumped all the way up to heavy automatic anti armour weapons. Also when asked later on about what other firearms would be aboard, it was implied that what was listed was all there was, as assault rifles and such are considered overkill in the tight confines of a ship, and anything else would have to be the personal affects of the crew.

Neither of the weapons described above are ideal choice of weapon to bring into the wilderness to survive with. For that a weapon that's light, easily stored in a survival kit, and reliable enough to be used for extended periods without proper tools at hand would be more what the doctor ordered.

And while it may be unlikely that a ship may encounter a scenario where the crew would be forced to use these rifles, if there willing to shovel out enough for what's in the armory already, I can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to throw in another three or four grand for some hunting carbines.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm basing space combat off of what is in Outsider/Insider. There are numerous bits of information as well as discussions about Loroi vs Umiak fleet tactics. I know Arioch's old Outsider combat simulator is outdated, but it does give a general idea of how things happen. Newton's laws of motion and all that. Still, I purposefully avoided making the entire game about this type of thing for exactly these reasons. :P

The officer sidearm is unfortunately the standard small arms weapon allowed onboard. However, it fires the equivalent of a 44. magnum, so it isn't anything to scoff at. The judgement of the top brass, for better or worse, is that if the crew ends up stranded on an alien planet, rescue will either come quickly or not at all. In such an emergency situation, there is no guarantee that the crew will have access to the armory's contents. It is also deemed unlikely, given the complex nature of chemistry, that any wildlife on an alien world would be suitable for human consumption.

Of course there are a number of policies that have changed, since allying with the Loroi. The Loroi's stance on being captured was particularly stringent... Or perhaps I should say, their policy on not allowing capture. You may note that there are thermonuclear weapons in the armory, but no hunting rifles, this is not a mistake. :twisted:

Anyway, the theme of this RP has always been brains first, brawn second. Humans are still behind the rest of known space in the technology department, so there's a good chance they're going to need to make up for it with asymmetrical tactics.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Does anyone have any ideas on what sort of targeting is going to be done with the ship's laser? I can describe what happens if you like, or we can work something out where you continue the narrative if you'd like.