[RP] Tempest Expedition (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: [RP] Tempest Expedition (OOC)

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL..No harm done. Actually I'm feeling a little self-conscious with playing a Teidar... I'm not really sure as to the limits of their Sanzai abilities. I am going to make them effectively expend some fatigue after such 'gross' manifestations of power.

Arioch has been ...vague about the full extent of what a Loroi telekinetic could do...so I'm trying to keep it reasonable and in vein with what has been witnessed. The point is ... if Sanzai powers could not be VERY destructive and equivalent to modern weapons the Loroi would NOT have an entire Caste of Sanzai Warriors who utilize these abilities.

They have got to be more than 'spot-on-the-wall powers' for any real combat effectiveness especially to warrant an entire Chaste of psychic warrior Super-Weapons!

So I'm going with a Jedi Knight / Mai the Psychic Girl level of power. Which would account for the low numbers of Teidar in the armed forces of the Loroi. Those Loroi powerful enough to ACTUALLY be Teidar should be Uncommon!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Those Loroi powerful enough to ACTUALLY be Teidar should be Uncommon!
That's the concept, yes.

In order to be a functioning Teidar, a Loroi must be powerful enough to kill with her psychokinetic powers alone.

At the minimum, this means the ability to pinch off blood supply or constrict organ function, possibly with the aid of strong telepathic support. But this is the level of ability one would expect of a Mizol rather than a Teidar.

Most Teidar have the (amplified) power to lift themselves, which is usually enough force to crush something vital in most beings without much resistance. A powerful Teidar can crush the armored chassis of an Umiak hardtrooper. The upper limit of Teidar power would be something like Fireblade's enraged/uncontrolled state, in which she can exert something on the order of six tons of force on something that is pissing her off.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Apologies for my lack of activity yesterday. I have not been drafted yet, but I have to go back in six months after some of my medical problems are treated.

Okay. As far as game rules are concerned, Teidar amplifiers give a +1 to +5 bonus to Telekinetic Power (TK-P) and an equal penalty to Telekinetic Control (TK-C). Note that this is not variable. For example a +1 amplifier gives a +1 bonus to Power and a -1 penalty to Control. All you need to do is decide on your amplifier strength, but once you decide its' strength, you can't go red-mage and change it every time you need come a point short of something.

Things like organ constriction and snapping arteries need a roll of 14 or higher on TK-C and 10 or higher on TK-P. Tearing open Umiak Hard-troopers with brute force requires 8 or higher on TK-C and 16 or higher on TK-P. Self-Levitation requires 10 TK-C and 8 to 14 TK-P depending on gravity. These targets are open to adjustment if you find them too hard or too easy to meet.

Amplifiers (at least the ones Teidar use) have no effect on other Sanzai abilities. Unless you really think a penalty on other sanzai abilities would make sense. Unless a Teidar is severely lacking in TK-P skill (while still having a high TK-C) or planning to make extensive use of brute-force TK abilities, it's better to keep their amplifiers off.

Telepathy result
SpoilerShow
Aside from the other Teidar and Sunbloom, you do not detect anything living on the station.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Scale retcon. Old post in spoilers
SpoilerShow
Oh, one more thing. The scale of the maps. The station is roughly 1.5km from bridge to the highest point of the comm array, and the plan is to scale. That would make the full length of the main elevator what, 500-something meters? Yeah, we'll go with that. Which would make a nice 250 meter drop for the descending team.
The station is a little over 300m long from bridge to the base of the communications array. The main elevator shaft is therefore about 140m long, with the hangars roughly at the mid-way point.
Last edited by Martenzo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok. Not sure if you missed this. Martenzo... but 'Stormrage', 'Crimson-Cloud', 'Sgt Mjr Aedin' and one Marine went UP the Shaft. While, 'Dark-Sun', 'Silver-Wind' and two Marines went DOWN the shaft.

Unless you would prefer it go the other way, of course or if the Up-shaft is blocked?

I'll wait until you either reply or mod the last post.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Yeah. Must've misread. My bad. Editing.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

There. It's done. sunphoenix, in the future please do not highlight with color. Only speech and sanzai. It makes the text annoying to read and encourages lazy people like myself to skim over it without properly paying attention. :?

And yes. If the elevator platform is up then it would block your way. I thought that part was fairly obvious. Oh, and for overexerting yourself with two hundred and fifty meters of flight, Stormrage can choose between A) losing a bennie; or B) suffering a -1 to TK-C tests until she can get rest back aboard the Tempest.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

{Blush!}..aheh...sorry about that. I was being...'creative'. Will do. I like the idea of a fatiguing thing, -1 TK: C. As for the platform barring the way is it completely unpassable or is their a maintenance hatch that could be opened to gain access to it?

Oh. Wow... just saw the scale of this didn't know it was a 500 meter ascent before I posted originally or I would have done it a little differently. 500 meters is NOT an elevator its a turbo-shaft. Heck the tallest building in the world is 823m. 'Storm' would have done a slow ascent hooking off at regular intervals to rest so as not to risk just what happened... falling to one's death is a stupid way to die. lol!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

sunphoenix wrote:{Blush!}..aheh...sorry about that. I was being...'creative'. Will do. I like the idea of a fatiguing thing, -1 TK: C. As for the platform barring the way is it completely unpassable or is their a maintenance hatch that could be opened to gain access to it?

Oh. Wow... just saw the scale of this didn't know it was a 500 meter ascent before I posted originally or I would have done it a little differently. 500 meters is NOT an elevator its a turbo-shaft. Heck the tallest building in the world is 823m. 'Storm' would have done a slow ascent hooking off at regular intervals to rest so as not to risk just what happened... falling to one's death is a stupid way to die. lol!
There's nothing wrong with being creative. Players thinking of things I don't is half the fun of being GM. The other half comes when I get even for all the headaches your "creativity" has caused me. :twisted:

Scale Retcon. Kept for posterity
SpoilerShow
It's not a 500m ascent, just 250m.
The ascent was about 70m, not the full 140m of the shaft. You started at the mid-point, not at the bottom. Also, we're talking slightly above moon gravity here. Umiak came from a low-G world, after all. The mix-up is not your fault, either. IIRC, I posted the scale after you made your post. At any rate, you and Mord are at the top now.

But on to the block you're facing. It's not the elevator platform that's blocking your way. It's an emergency bulkhead. For all you know, the station is depressurized on the other side. There is no obvious maintenance hatch, but you can always search with whatever skill you think is appropriate. Then again, you just heard over radio that a dead Umiak was found below. You could report that the passage up is down and turn back.
Last edited by Martenzo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Waiting for more info before posting. Specifically:
Senanthes wrote: Switching frequencies, she contacts the Tempest, "Fifty-One, we require a close reconnoiter of the station by the interceptors if that is possible. Any and all external windows or damaged sections. Also, have we tried open hailing procedures?."...
This probably means TheUnforsaken and bunnyboy need some info to relay in-game :P

I'll hash out something tomorrow, even if it does just deal with the recently discovered carcass. :) Good night y'all.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

After some thought on the matter, I have decided to retcon the size of the station. It is only 300m long. The main shaft is about 140m long from top to bottom. Like most sci-fi writers, I have no sense of scale. :oops:

I attribute this to the fact that I've ran many Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy games, where light cruisers are over 4km long.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Martenzo wrote:After some thought on the matter, I have decided to retcon the size of the station. It is only 300m long. The main shaft is about 140m long from top to bottom. Like most sci-fi writers, I have no sense of scale. :oops:
Sorry Martenzo, couldn't help myself :twisted:
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok. I need to ask storywise... do you not want us to go through the blast door bulkhead? Cause that is what 'Stormrage' will do... she can just use her Electrokinesis to energize the bulk-head servo motors to trigger the door to open... at least partially... unless the Door has been welded shut.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Right, finished my IC post. Got your message Sun, I edited it to leave Stormrage at the top of the shaft.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

sunphoenix: Go right ahead. TK-C20/TK-P10 to activate the device with electrokinesis. Or TK-C6/TK-P22 to tear the bulkhead open with raw power. Of course, you need to declare which method you are using before making your rolls. Succeed with either method, and you see the elevator platform itself about five meters above the bulkhead. It has a hole in the center which you can fit through.

I'm going to my visit my parents for Easter, so expect erratic responses from me.

Here is the full map of the station (Large Image Warning)
SpoilerShow
Barracks spoiler
SpoilerShow
The barracks are nothing more than a series of resting pods. Four of them larger, the size of hard-troopers, and the rest for "normal" Umiak. eight normal and all four large pods are open and empty. Another five normal pods seem to be shot apart by energy weapons, and dead umiak can be seen inside.
Bridge spoiler
SpoilerShow
Two more hard-troopers have been torn apart in front of the bridge door. Inside the bridge are four dead umiak normals. There is a main computer which can be hacked for information, but wait for me to return before doing that. The computer is also offline unless main power is back on.
Engineering Control spoiler
SpoilerShow
Here, you can reactivate the main reactor, and thus the station's main elevator. There are enough remains for three normal umiak smeared across the room.
Life-Support spoiler
SpoilerShow
There is a wounded Umiak Hard-Trooper here. He is too much of a cybernetic machine to have showed up on the Loroi Mind-scan. This should not be a major shock. This extent of cybernetic augmentation was uncommon for hard-troopers, but not unheard of in the tail-end of the war. Within about 30 meters, Loroi can still detect his faint psychic signature.

Surprisingly enough, the hard-trooper is not aggressive and ignores you completely unless attacked. On observation, it seems to be aimlessly wandering around the accessible areas of Life-Support. It also seems to be talking to itself in Umiak.
Last edited by Martenzo on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

From the IC thread.
sunphoenix wrote: Stormrage was a little annoyed the Sgt Mjr had decided to abandon the ascent just because of a temporary obstacle... THEIR orders from the Torrai had been to secure a entry point to the upper levels not run around the station chasing Umiak corpses! It was a Umiak station ... of course they were going to run into Umiak and likely dead ones if the station had not been abandoned! Nothing she had not done or seen before herself. But as much as she was not under the Sgt Mjr's command structure... neither was he under hers so she let him disregard orders at his whim..as a command rank officer let his superiors deal with it. She had a task to perform.
Damn, I must really be spacing out D: Completely forgot about those orders >_> Too late to change my IC post now though...

Anyways, I too will be taking a vacation from Friday till sunday, so don't be surprised if I don't post often this weekend. I'll try to squeeze a post or two in though. You guys are free to play as Mord till Monday. Try and do a better job keeping him in character than I am D: Hahahaha

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL! Don't sweat it man... this was NOT any personal criticism by me... just Stormrage's critique!
Its all good! :) It's a game not a career! lol!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Notable edit to Life-Support spoiler. If you have already spoiled it for yourself, check it again.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Okay, clarification here. Moving the game along is entirely up to you right now.

I will make no further IC posts until you get to the bridge and successfully hack the station's main computer. Not unless you need some kind of response from Admiral Pire or Torret Shining Sky

General spoiler
SpoilerShow
Whoever messed up the station and the Umiak here is gone by now. There are some answers in the station logs.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I'm merely waiting for a post with urther orders from Sunbloom right now. I was planning on having Stormrage comment that this place looks like a Loroi Teidar Strike Team came though here wielding psionics and laid waste to the umiak at the station...only missing the last one because he's so cybered. She was then going to order all the present Teidar to do a signature scan to see if traces of previous psionics could be detected to prove her theory. But I was holding off making those postulations until Stromrage achieved the bridge.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke