[RP] Tempest Expedition (IC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Martenzo

[RP] Tempest Expedition (IC)

Post by Martenzo »

[OOC: Links to other threads]
SpoilerShow
OOC Thread - Link
IC Thread - You're in it
Character's Thread - Link
Despite all the political attention on the Tempest expedition, ECS-Tempest departed Alliance-controlled space with little ceremony. At least as far as any members of its' crew knew. There was a short live-combat excercise where the ECS-Tempest faced off against a reactivated Umiak Type-K. During the battle, Torrai Sorimi Sunbloom had the pleasure of being the tactical officer. The Barsam stealth system worked far better than expected. The Type-K failed to detect the Tempest while the system was active. After an hour of "silent running" as Admiral Pire called it, the Tempest had manuevered to behind the Umiak ship. The automated cruiser was crippled in seconds as the pulse cannons obliterated the enemy screens and the railguns tore apart their engines. With the engines gone, the rest of the battle was simply a mop up. One less Umiak leftover in the galaxy.

With the training excercise finished, the Tempest headed out toward the rimward edge of Umiak space, briefly stopping at every third star to recharge its' battery systems. Two jumps after leaving explored space, the start of the recharge process coincided with the shift change. With the shift finished and the next shift arriving, Sunbloom left the bridge. In the hallway, she get her first good look at the Loroi shift commander. To her great discomfort, she recognized her. It was none other than Torrai Torret Shining Sky. As their eyes met, there was no question about it. The Torret recognized Sunbloom as well. Despite their history, Shining Sky passed Sunbloom without a word or a sanzai message.

Meanwhile, a discussion in the mess hall was starting to get out of hand. One of the lower-ranked human commandos, a private Jenkins, had loudly implied that humans are better at martial arts than the Loroi. A Soroin by the name of Starflame overheard that and approached the table Jenkins and a few of his comrades (including Sergeant Major Mord Aedin) were sitting at. "You have no idea what you're talking about, human. A Teidar could beat any human, even without using telekinesis." A few tables over, the only Teidar in the mess hall, Teidar Stormrage notices the argument beginning to unfold.
SpoilerShow
Just so you know, the crew quarters also have a fairly large gym
Last edited by Martenzo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

sunphoenix

Re: [RP] Tempest Expedition (IC)

Post by sunphoenix »

Stormrage sat her legs crossed at her ankles under the table. She had been causally pouring over the data-slate before her listing the shift rosters and scheduled emergency readiness drills that the joint humaniti/loroi security crew would be engaging in over the course of the next few days until the readiness time marks of the humanti soldiers got at least up to 45% of loroi efficiency. She smiled an shook her head in amusement ... lack of any form of sanzai communication and coordination made the humans slow to react and respond relatively to all loroi crews but they seemed willing to try and keep trying... Their tenacity was...admirable, if their prickly pride could be tolerated!

As the raising of a voice 'Storm' looked up to see... {sigh} Starflame... again, in a argument with the human male... soldiers. Starflame as usual fell for the vocal goading that the human warriors knew would get at her and effect a belligerent response! How ...odd it was for 'Storm' to get her mind around the idea of ...males actually being warriors! She could not help but feel a tinge of protectiveness as loroi males were always needing protecting... though the imagery was not congruent with the appearance of human males... taller more solidly built and so ...strangely pale... or oddly shaded in skin hue! Plus they exuded a ... heat that was... strangely pleasant. Well, actually in truth all humanti were very warm to be around their internal body temperatures far higher than any loroi. It matched their fiery dispositions sometimes... well more often than not! They wanted so hard to prove themselves it was... what was the human term... ah yes 'cute'!

Not wanting to get involved but figuring she should forestall any further ...conflicts on a mission that was going to be long and arduous enough without fomenting new ...conflicts, 'Storm' sent to Starflame, her sanzai thoughts a buffeting wind of a gathering storm...
SpoilerShow
{Starflame. Calm yourself! They are only goading you like a child... see how they strut and preen... so eagar to prove themselves? What weight do words have anyways?}
'Storm' stands and walks calmly over her telekinesis whipping her flowing golden hair in a unfelt breeze for all present to see.

Smiling, "Greetings Sergeant Major Mord Aedin! The...warriors among humaniti seem adequate enough to me! Though, a friendly contest of skill might seem interesting to explore. Perhaps you should propose a weekly training regimen to your... superior to... exercise the humaniti fighting prowess as well as the loroi fighting prowess together? In effect sharpening one unsheathed blade with another."

[OOC: Opps! Sorry this IC thread caught me off guard! Sorry for the late posting! :)]
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Mord tried to conceal a grin. Private Jenkins sure did take after his Sargent Major. It didn't take much goading to get the man to make a scene. And the way things were looking, it might shape up to be quite a scene indeed. Without a doubt, Jenkins couldn't even take the one scrawny Soroin. Which means I'd get a piece of the action... he thought. Marines aren't allowed to carry weapons unless they're on duty (honestly, fighting honest hadn't even occurred to Mord) but the food trays are pretty solid... He might even be able to convince the Captain that the Xeno's started it if Jenkins gets beat bad enough.

One of the Marines let out a soft whistle and made a gesture that told Mord to turn around. "Greetings Sergeant Major Mord Aedin!.. Teidar Stormrage. All the commissioned and non-commissioned officers were supposed to be learning each others names, and Mord could already recite all the officer's names, ranks and positions in his sleep. He let the Loroi finish. "...In effect sharpening one unsheathed blade with another."

Mord sized her up. Battle dress uniform, no campaign ribbons. But that's to be expected in all but the most formal settings. No obvious battle scars, but clearly experienced. The question was how experienced..? He knew she served in the ground forces, and that she'd been decorated for valor... He'd have to play it safe. No way the Captain would believe a decorated officer started a brawl, not when the Tempest has been cruising for such a short time. Besides, Mord was saving the "she started it" line for a special occasion.

"Trust me girl, you'll need more than a sheathed blade if you're going toe to toe with the TCA. But I like the idea." Well well well... A Xeno asking for a fight. No way this opportunity is going to waste. "There's not a whole lot for us commandos do in space. Mord stood up. He was a whole head taller than the Loroi, and nearly twice her weight. No telekinesis? No problem, it's the Xeno's only advantage over good old human Marines... Just one little problem. If I remember right, we Marines outnumber you thirty three to eight. Now, I'm sure some of the boys won't mind getting my seconds, but there's simply not enough of you girls to go around. Unless you want the boys here to send some of your pilots to live in sick bay with you." Big words, but then again, Mord is a big man.
SpoilerShow
Subpheonix: I can't read your sanzai >_> Keep it the same, nice to read green as your speech :P Italics is enough to let us know is sanzai, you don't need to change the color. Also, you may make responses for Mord, as appropriate for this scene. Just keep it in his color and do a sentence here or there. Don't write a novel in orange :P

Martenzo: How many PCs are in this scene? I assume all of them? Also, will you please put links to the general RP discussion thread, and the other Tempest Expedition thread in the first post's spoiler? In case those threads get buried, we won't have to hunt them down to pull information out of them.

Also, I need to think of a good way to distinguish between internal and external dialog with Mord >_>
Last edited by Gudo on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

A telepathic conversation between Stormrage and Starflame insued - completely lost on the sanzai-blind humanti present.

Sanzai Comversation:
SpoilerShow
Soroin Starflame replied her sanzai call agitated {But you heard them Teidar! These humans are arrogant and full of themselves. They insult us constantly when it is OUR empire, OUR Soroin and Teidar that saved them from the Umiak! They need to learn their place!}

Stormrage smiled, {…and will brawling with them here in the Mess accomplish that? You forget we allied with them because of their fiery and aggressive natures. They must be handled… delicately like the petulant children they are. Why should the Goraont [a large elephant-like omnivore familiar to the loroi] take insult when a Crik [a tiny poisonous crab-like crustacean that operates in swarms – also familiar to loroi] says…’if you were blind and not so massive I might be able to sting you and paralyze you with my poison?’ They are words… as empty as they are meaningless. You do not fight a Umiak hard-trooper with fist and blade do you? Not if life is something you cherish. So their ‘stirrings of the air’ mean nothing, just as all their feeble might would mean nothing in a fight with ‘our’ real enemy - the Umiak swarm!}

Starflame’s sanzai faltered, her embarrassment clear in the tone of her sending – Stormrage’s point clearly made {… Of course. Teidar Stormrage, I am chastised…}

Storm sends glowing replies, {Not so Starflame, pride in our warrior tradition is not a fault… only when it leads one to underestimate ones foes… or allies.}

Starflame’s sanzai reply was quick and formal {My thanks for instruction honored Teidar Stormrage…}
To those present Starflame comes to attention at the approach of the Teidar Stormrage and her expression turns to one of contrition as a silent swift conversation passes between them. Starflame flashes her eyes at the humans once more before she nods solemnly to Storm and moves to a position of respectful distance seeking a place to eat but slowly still curious as to what the ‘Storm’ will say to the human warriors.

Stormrage smiles sweetly at the tall human ‘warriors’, “My you are aggressive. But I expect your direct superiors might have a great issue with an…”, she looks over his uniform for ranks insignias that she is indeed familiar with as human ranking system is very simple, “…officer furthering a junior ranked solider in instigating a brawl with allies instead of chastising such unseemly behavior in accords to your uniform code of conduct! I do not understand all of your words meaning they are too colloquial – though I get the understanding they are not complementary. But putting all that aside, your aggressiveness is what we Loroi admire in humaniti, but you are mistaken if you seem to believe your physical might matters in some fashion to actual conflict with ‘OUR’ real enemy… the Umiak swarm! Have you ever fought an Umiak Hardtroper in close combat? Obviously not, you are still alive, no one fights them in close combat and lives… save us few Teidar that are caught in such unfavorable situations! I have. To say we do not fight well without our sanzai is foolish… it would be just the same as saying – ‘you would not fight well if you were blind!’ WE ARE LOROI. We fight with all our abilities, technology and centuries of combat experience. We do not have as many Teidar onboard because they are needed elsewhere and more would be a waste of resources. I myself could PK all of you and crush you with a thought, or draw power from the very reactors of the ship and fry you all where you stand until there was little left but ashes. Or… both at the same time! This is not a threat merely a fact. These abilities are what I have developed to fight ‘OUR’ real foes the Umiak. If you still wish to ‘grunt’ and ‘beat your chest’ that is fine but make no mistake as to its importance to any Loroi. In truth, we loroi prefer humanti as an ally, you are aggressive, with control, and not the religious zealots of the Barsam or the pensive intellectuals of the Historian Emissaries, not to mention... you are far more physically appealing to be near.”

The last is said with a slightly impish grin and her pretty eyes flashing with …something naughty.

“So. If you wish to practice with our Teidar in physical contest of martial prowess … that is fine… but now would seem an inappropriate venue.”

She turns as if to leave remarking, “Is there anything else… Sergeant Major?”
Last edited by sunphoenix on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Approaching the officers quarters, Sunbloom is trying fairly hard to ignore the throbbing that has been creeping its way up behind her eyes... The mere sight of her former superior was enough to elicit a nearly verbal groan almost on reflex. Wondrous... Perhaps a random black hole while we're at it? The route to her own quarters leads her past the mess, and the brewing situation therein... Hearing a vocal exchange is no longer unusual to her, but the tone of the words caught her instructors ear much as a discord among cadets would. Curious, she makes her way into the back of the mess, leaning back against the wall inconspicuously to watch, her brow furrowed, waiting for the scene to unfold...

"I'll take you up on that offer." said Mord, his voice making it clear that yes, there was something else.

"We can practice just fine by ourselves and I'm not in the mood for a joint exercise. What do you say we have us a little competition instead? Something you Loroi can use all abilities on: sabotage. We'll set up some trinket somewhere and you'll do the same. Who ever wrecks the other species shit first wins." Mord turns to face his men. He could drill them all he wants, what they really need is some combat. These Loroi could be just the thing to give his marines their first taste of the real deal. And everyone would get to keep all their limbs.

"Wanna use your sanzai? Feel free to throw us grunts around with your witchery or even knock them unconscious. Hell, take some prisoners if you want. You can be damn sure I won't let my men hold back." There, a no lose situation. Either she backs down, or my men get to crack a few skulls. Mord couldn't help but grin a little. Though honestly, they'll certainly get a few of their own cracked. About damn time too.
SpoilerShow
Well, looks like I'll post Senanthes' PM. Hope you don't mind!

Unless Martenzo or Senanthes wants to do something, I move that Sunphoenix end the scene with Stromrage's response and the GM sets up the next scene. (Please remember to keep the RP discussion in the OOC Thread.) Doesn't have to be the competition, maybe it'll take our superiors awhile to OK it.

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Having heard what she needed, Sunbloom steps forward, quite visible in the armor that identifies her caste and rank. The pins added with the TCA equivelent of Commander leave no doubt of such for any onlookers. She waits exactly two heartbeats before locking her gaze on the 'contest' leaders...

"And what, exactly, is the nature of this competition?" The melodic voice that earned her human nickname carries quite well thorughout the compartment. "As you both well know, destruction of shipboard equipment and injury of personnel on either side carries with it stiff penalties... And I dont think for a moment either of you have excluded such thoughts."

Having made her presence known, Sunbloom stands with her arms crossed, waiting for their response as she glances between Tiedar Stormrage and Sergeant Major Aedin...

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

The petite loroi woman pauses as she turns, glancing up at the large human marine. Storm places a hand on her hip as her other hand contemplatively touches her chin. Her eyes fixed away she thinks trying to come up with a diplomatic reply... not her forte.

To the marines, it is a rather fetching posse the lean, shapely, pretty loroi woman standing near makes before them; her shoulder-length blonde hair still rustling around her long delicate ears. Whatever alien evolution developed the loroi will probably never be known in its entirety but it is apparently similar enough that loroi are decidedly appealing! The scent of 'Storm' is like sweet flowers wafting in the air of her presence, oddly different than the human cinnamony scent of earth women... but still a reminder of female presence that is impossible to ignore!

She turns to reply but whatever response she was going to make is forestalled... by the appearance of the loroi officer.

'Storm' comes to attention.
SpoilerShow
{Sunbloo~ !}, she starts in sanzai but ends as the humans could not hear her reply she switches to speech...
Storm speaks, "There was to be no contest or unseemly behavior from me at least here or now! I was going to suggest that Sergeant Major Mord Aedin and I propose a series of 'low-contact' war games in addition to our normal drills and training to our respective superiors between the Humaniti soldiers and the loroi Teidar to familiarize both with the strengths and capabilities of each respective side to better integration when we must act together. I was not instigating any ...hostilities. These ...marines' seem to be ...anxious for some... diversions."
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Sunbloom listens intently to Stormrages spoken reply, silently approving that she chose that method rather than use Sanzai to 'edge out' the humans. She offers a single, small nod and flicks her gaze over to the Master Sergeant, "Anything to add to that, Sergeant?" she intones in her lilting voice... It is very obvious that the gears in the schoolmasters head are already turning with a twist even as she fixes her gaze on Mord, eye to eye.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Torrai Sorimi Sunbloom, one of the Tempest's tactical officers. More importantly, she was on the Bridge Crew. No doubt the Chief of Security would hear about this...

"No, I think my Loroi counterpart summed it up quite nicely." began Mord. "Just a few wargames between allies. The men and I are getting bored with the endless drill after boring drill." Out of the corner of his eye, Mord could see his men watching the Teidar Stormrage... Well now, that simply won't do. There was something different about that Stormrage, and it didn't take a genius to figure out what it was.

"Forgive me" said Mord with sarcasm evident in his voice. "but I seem to have forgotten that I'm in the presence of a superior officer." He turned to face his men.

"Squad! Atten-tion! Present Arms!" Upon hearing the commands, the marines present in the mess hall immediately snapped to attention and rendered a salute. The Sergent Major turned to face the Loroi and he too rendered a salute. "Order Arms!" With that, the salute, and any hold Stormrage had was finished.

"There's no need to worry" continued Mord as though nothing had happened. we'd certainly not have any such games here or now. Nor would we risk any of the ship's equipment. By trinket I meant simply some jar with food coloring or a fake foil antenna. There's no need to take us for barbarians."

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Gary was eating on his table, isolated from his surrounding by his pad and music coming from his headset.

Code: Select all

The more abstract sciense, the more they love big old black boards and hard heavy computers.
Sudden yelling and movement get his attention enough and he stop reading. Not sure what is happening, Gary stop the music and hear the last words.
"What bad you barbarians are planning now?" He mutter almost voicelessly.
Supporter of forum RPG

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Sunbloom watches the Master Sergeant without comment as he goes through his 'ritual', the sarcasm not lost on her. Waiting until he is complete with his response, she glances at the remainder of the Marines, "As you were, Marines." She offers a smile every bit as false as Mord's 'respectful' response, "I see... Taking it into your hands to foster better relations between the soldiers? How proactive of you, Sergeant." Her tone makes it clear that she isn't fooled by the act...

"However," she continues, clapping her hands together once in the manner of a schoolteacher, "There will be one addition to this... Each team will be comprised of both Marines and our own Soroin and Tiedar." The smile fades, "I trust you have the experience necessary to organize such an endeavour..." It wasn't a question.

Sunbloom tilts her head and smiles falsely again, "Oh... And one more thing... ANY injuries will have you both answering to me and the rest of the command staff. So, if you're going to get competetive, you're going to get creative." Continuing on past the Master Sergeant, Sunbloom stops long enough to trade pleasantries with two of the crew, possibly former students of hers, speaking in Soia-Trade for several long minutes before she turns to depart, glancing over her shoulder, "I suggest you get started straight away... There are many evident obstacles to cross."

Strangely, Sunbloom avoided Sanzai entirely for the duration of the conversation...

Returning to her quarters, Sunbloom dutifully notes the incident on her own PDA. However, seeing no cause for alarm as of yet, there isn't a single word passed on to the Chief of Security. And now we see if this entire alliance can hold up in the face of the worst opponent... Stubborn warriors. For the moment, faced with the headache brought on by the unexpected arrival of her much loathed former, and now current, superior, she opts for a few hours sleep.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

With the general idea of conducting 'war games', the rowdier human marines seem satisfied. At least satisfied enough to leave the mess hall without incident.

Loroi
SpoilerShow
The situation about these 'war games' spreads fast among the Soroin and Teidar. Teidar Pallan Knifebearer became downright extatic when she learned about the sitation and agreed (or rather, demanded) to take charge of the Loroi half of the 'war game'. A chance to put the high-and-mighty terran marines in their place. What's not to like? was the message she broadcast practically across the ship. One Mizol voiced her displeasure with the situation, implied her feelings were shared among the Torrai caste, but admitted that backing down now would be too much loss of face.
Humans
SpoilerShow
On the human side, Captain "Drill Sergeant" Stone was a lot less pleased than Knifebearer. Openly, she supported the sentiment of a 'joint exercise'. Privately, she met with SgMaj. Aedin. During the meeting, Captain Stone yelled at Mord for a while for letting his xenophobia get the better of him and refused to listen to explanations. Then she informed Aedin that he "volunteered" to take responsibility for running the human half of the 'war games'. Meaning that Aedin will also face "disciplinary action" if this excercise results in any "incidents". What the Captain actually meant by "disciplinary action" and "incidents" was left vague.
After some further coordination, Captain Stone and Pallan Knifebearer agreed on several things. First, the wargame was going to be fairly limited in personnel. All the eight Teidar (who were barred from using their TK) and eight Soroin on the Loroi side, opposing SgMaj. Aedin and his squad of 15 marines on the human side. The goal of the exercise was simple. Both teams would choose a vital ship system as their "base". They would also get a suitcase representing a vital "component" of their "base". Each teams has to "sabotage" the enemy base by bringing the enemy component to their own base.

Further planning was interrupted, however, when a shipwide announcement ordered the crew to prepare for a short jump. The teams hadn't properly stood down yet, when they were ordered back to station while the ship entered the next system. Unlike the usual routine, the alert was not cancelled a few minutes after the jump was complete. In fact, alert was heightened as a slightly annoying, "almost-ultrasonic" hum began. The unique hum of the Titan-III reactor.

The fighter pilots were ordered to high alert and perpare their craft for launch. The first pilot to get suited up was Major Wolfe. Seeing through the force field protecting the hangar, he saw that the Tempest was around a system with a red dwarf. About 1 AU distance, he estimated by eye, before getting into his fighter.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Stormrage rushed to the Teidar ready room.

Quickly she got dressed in her Vacuum Combat Hardsuit Armor. Pulling on her custom made 'Electro-gauntlets' she checked the suit interior skin contacts - sparks briefly arcing between her fingers as she electrokinetically 'energized' the hand to hand weapon gauntlets, their energy level indicator light building to full power.

Storm smiled in the brief 'St Elmos fire' glow that played across her metallic palms. Continuing on she sheathed her LazPistol sidearm and slung her LazAssault Rifle on its sling across her body securing the weapon to her automatic belt harness clamp of her Vacuum Combat Hardsuit Armor. Bending over she flips her hair over and ties it into a tight pony-tail twisting it into a swirl she dons her helm. Then sealing her suit she runs quick diagnostics on the small maneuver verniers, communications channels, and optical enhancement H.U.D. displays. All returns green she pops her visor up to conserve air supply and turns to the rest of her Teidar sisters to assist each one in getting clad in armor and prepared for potential combat.

She listens into the Sanzai banter going back and forth but herself shares nothing more than polite greetings... calm... before the Storm.
Last edited by sunphoenix on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Nathaniel Wolfe turns away from the view outside the hangar to walk towards his Storm fighter, steps heavy in the awkward Hard-Suit. Stopping beside his craft Wolfe turns to see a mechanic pushing the sturdy stair-frame that will give him access to the large fighter's hatch.
"How's she doing Lezlie?"
"Good to go Major."
"So I'll know who to haunt if something goes wrong?"
Lezlie Matheis smiles at the now old joke, "I can't see how that'll be much different from what you do now, sir."
Wolfe grins, "Yeah, yeah." Nathaniel turns back to the frame, now pressed against his fighter, and begins to climb the steep steps, heavy boots clanging on the steel construction. Before stepping through the hatch Wolfe looks over his shoulder and raises an arm in a half wave, "See ya 'round Lez."
"Safe flight, Major." The mechanic replies as Nathaniel disappears into the Storm.

Half a minute later, while settling into the acceleration couch in the cockpit, Wolfe hears more subdued banter and clanging footfalls from outside the ship. After a moment Kyong Nogoda steps into the cockpit and begins he too begins the not-so-simple task of fitting himself and his Hard-Suit into the complicated nest of supports and shock absorbers that is an acceleration couch. Craning his neck, Wolfe quips to his WSO, "Nice of you to join me, Lieutenant." Out the corner of his eye wolfe can see the young man
grin.
"Ah sir, not all of us can be surgically attached to our fighters."
Wolfe snorts, "If that's what you want to think it is, go ahead." Wolfe looks back to the control pannels before him, "Alright, lets get down to business. Pre-flight check..."

After a few minutes, having just completed the pre-flight check, Wolfe keys the comm between the four fighters of his wing.
"Alpha 1, ready for launch." Seconds later reports come from the comm.
"Alpha 2, ready for launch."
"Bravo 2, ready for launch."
Seconds tick by and Nathaniel grows impatient. "Bravo 1, report status." More seconds tick by and Wolfe begins to tap his gauntleted fingers.
"Dragon's ass is Drag'n." Jokes Kyong.
"Dragon's ass is toast if she doesn--" Wolfe's comment is interrupted by the comm.
"Bravo 1, ready for launch."
Keying the comm again Wolfe say, "Welcome to the party, Dragon."
"Sorry, sir," Zora Kaylo replies, sounding genuinely regretful, "I was caught in the head when the alert came through."
Wolfe nods, "Well, can't be helped. Just try not to let it happen again, Lieutenant."
"Yes, sir."
Wolfe keys the comm again, this time to the CIC, "CIC this is Corsair. Wing Two reports ready for launch."
"Affirm Corsair, stand-by for orders."
"Roger. Standing by."

Hurry up and wait, mantra of militaries the universe over it would seem...
Wolfe keys the comm once more. "Ok ladies and gents, we've been given the Navy Mantra, so no need to inject the LBM just yet."

LBM, Liquid Breathing Medium, (or GaG; God-awful Goo to its users) is the only way for humans or Loroi to survive the high G-forces fighters can generate given their lack of inertial dampers. The experience of using the stuff is, however, extremely distrubing: With your lungs filled with LBM you feel like you're drowning, and yet not, though the Medium does have to include a mild anaesthetic to suppress the gag reflex. No one ever truly gets used to the stuff and it is one of the biggest causes of early drop-outs among new recruits. Not only that, the LBM completely prevents vocal communications, not such an issue for Loroi with their Sanzai, but rather a large one for humans. The TCA Navy, inventive as it is, created a new command language that consists solely of tongue clicks, backed up by pre-loaded verbal commands that can be given via the control panels. Even so, many pilots prefer to eject the LBM from their helmets when there isn't trouble expected. The Goo can, if necessary, be crash injected in a relatively safe (if horrendously unpleasant) 1.5 seconds.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Having retired to her quarters, Sunbloom spends what free time she has on her ever growing collection of artwork, in between randomly checking incoming messages. One, in particular, catches her eye, a smile spreading across her face as she sees the name at the header...

Angie... Little moment of light to brighten the day maybe?

Opening the message, Sunbloom spends some time parsing the associated images, most of them centered around her human friends family. She can't help but snicker at half the oddball situations caught on camera in this latest set, and spends the remainder of her time neglecting the tablet and inks this once in favor of more passive amusement.

Her smile fades a bit by the time she reaches the last paragraph, and she reads it over twice before sighing to herself and shutting down the terminal...

Seems like today favors balancing the luck I've had as of late...
SpoilerShow
...next class is coming up on graduation, Nel... And from what I understand, Tempest is at the top of his picks. Weather it has to do with you being there, or if it will even get approved, I don't know... Probably not if Admiral Iron Ass finds out. Just keep an ear to the ground, okay? I'd hate for you to get blindsided again with this...
Last edited by Senanthes on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Stormrage does a final check over her sister's readiness for battle switching to Sanzai...
SpoilerShow
Stormrage begins the the first words of the battle song that Loroi Teidar have sung before battle for generations. As the 1st Fire Team leader of the Teidar present, with Teidar Pallan 'Knifebearer' not present it was her privilege to start the chant.

Quickly her sister's follow her example and join their mental voices in the short song inspiring courage and pride in all Loroi onboard ship... telling in no vague terms... the Teidar Unsheathed are ready to do battle for their sisters!
The brief Sanzai song completed Stormrage instructs all the Teidar in the ready room to await the order to assemble on the aft-Hanger deck for deployment at a moments notice.

Turning to the wall intercom unit... an addition to the refit Tempest for the sake of the deaf Humaniti, she calls into the bridge, "Teidar Stormrage reporting in... The Blade is Unsheathed... all Teidar are all at the Quick ready for battle... Captain! Tempest rages on undaunted!!!"

Storm knows the formality and ceremony are lost on her reciting the traditional call to battle for the Tempest but someone has to educate Humaniti on some decorum... She smiles knowing that those Loroi on the bridge will get the subtle chastisement of the ignorant humans by having to repeat in speech what they have already heard in Sanzai with a amusement.
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Maj. Wolfe
SpoilerShow
A Loroi voice comes into your comm "Corsair, this is CIC. Contact on our scanners. The profile seems to match Umiak communication relays. It seems to be abandoned or automated. We need you to make a flyby for an in-depth scan and confirm it is not a threat to our boarding shuttles. Sending target coordinates and vector to you."
SgMaj. Mord and Teidar Stormrage
SpoilerShow
The Teidar and Marine squads are both at station in the Tempest's aft-hangar when the orders finally come in from the bridge. It seems there really is something going on this time.

Soon enough, there's a briefing. Knifebearer uses Sanzai to tell her Teidar that an Umiak station has been discovered in the system. Once the fighters have made sure it's safe to approach, the Teidar and Human Marines are going to board it. Captain Stone tells her marines the same.

A minute later, new info comes in. Apparently, a Loroi from the Torrai caste is coming over to take overall command of the boarding action.
Torrai Sorimi Sunbloom
SpoilerShow
Being off-shift, Sunbloom has to wait in her quarters for any further orders. Fortunately (or unfortunately) she gets them. Transmitted directly to her earpiece, she hears the unpleasant voice of Torrai Torret Shining Sky. "Torrai Sorimi Sunbloom, I have a task for you. Report to the aft-hangar and take command of the planned boarding mission. Your mission aboard the Umiak relay station is to recover any transmission logs or archives there. Let your subordinates handle the tactical details, but make sure it does not become a, what did the Admiral call it? A pissing-contest between the human marines and our teidar."
OOC
SpoilerShow
If your earlier posts conflict with what is written here, then please edit them.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Stormrage assembles the Teidar in their Combat Hardsuit Armor and Weapons at station in the Tempest's aft-hangar she salutes with a Sanzai greeting her superior the Teidar Pallan 'Knifebearer'. The Teidar in their ornate and colorful armor does nothing to hide the lovely shapely figures clad beneath.
SpoilerShow
"We are Unsheathed Pallan... we stand ready to do battle, Always!"
With that greeting all the Teider present answer in the traditional response...
"WE ARE UNSHEATHED! ALWAYS!"

Then all seven Teidar activate their psionic powers and their effects become evident in the bending ether around them.
The Loroi Teider suddenly become less lovely as their true dangerous power is revealed...

To those present on the assembly deck all the Teidar line up in order and make some unheard Sanzai greeting before their Pallan commander then suddenly seven sets of visor-ed eyes light up glowing with an internal eerie light! The very air seems to turn electric with power and in Stormrage's case - literally as electricity arcs occasionally across her shapely armored form. For some Teider the air ripples around them in heat effects of pyrokinetics activated, and ghostly winds stir the air rattling small objects nearby slightly! Some of the Teidar float briefly off the floor flexing their telekinetic powers before settling down. The power of the Teidar made blatantly manifest. Their glowing eyes Frightening with the power at their slightest mental command! No wonder, or thank goodness - there are only seven!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

"Corsair, this is CIC. Contact on our scanners. The profile seems to match Umiak communication relays. It seems to be abandoned or automated. We need you to make a flyby for an in-depth scan and confirm it is not a threat to our boarding shuttles. Sending target coordinates and vector to you."

"Affirm CIC. Coordinates and vector recieved. Out." Wolfe, unaware of the various displays of Sanzai power occurring across the Tempest, switches channels to inform the other members of Wing 2 of their mission, "Alright men, we got our marching orders, coordinates and vector as follows," Wolfe taps the sequence of buttons that will transfer the data he recieved from CIC to the three other craft. "We've got ourselves what appears to be an abandoned or automated Umiak comms relay. We're the lucky few who get to poke it with a stick and see what happens. We will perform a high-velocity close-proximity recon scan. Alpha will take the top, Bravo the bottom. We will regroup at Waypoint Baker," Wolfe tansmits another coordinate. "Clear?"
"Alpha 2, clear."
"Bravo 1, clear."
"Bravo 2, clear."
"Confirm clear. We launch in 15, inject LBM. See you in space." Nathaniel breaths out and tries to relax, as he begins to breath in again the LBM floods his breather, fills his mouth and plunges down his throat into his lungs. Damn but I hate this part.

10 seconds later the four Storm fighters of Wing 2 leave the Tempest's forward hangar at a sedate 1 G, and, after reaching a safe distance, charge towards their target at their maximum 30 G.

The fighters of Wing 2 pass above and below the Umiak station relative to the system's ecliptic, making random high-G evasive maneuvers to evade fire that was not, in fact, occurring. At the same time the WSO's aboard each fighter strained to ensure that their scanners, sensors and imagers capture all the information they can in the fraction of a second available as the fighters flash by the facility. Task complete, they settle back to review the data aquired while the pilots maneuver their ships to gather at Waypoint Baker.

A few minutes later, having ejected his Goo now that his ship is no longer maneuvering, Major Wolfe data-bursts the sensor logs and reports back to Tempest. "Tempest CIC this is Corsair. Preliminary conclusions regarding the intel aquired during the fly-by are as follows: Facility closely matches known Umiak comms relay designs. Facility is armed with three plasma-focus cannons, weapons did not, repeat, did not fire during fly-by. EM and Infra-red emissions indicate that the station is running on minimal power, likely auxiliarly; status of primary power core unknown." Wolfe pauses before adding, "Request permission to eliminate the facility's weapons, I cannot ensure that Wing 2's fly-by or the presence of our shuttles will not induce a reaction from the station, including activation of primary systems."
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Still displeased at having her much loathed former commander now her current one, Sunbloom nevertheless appears promptly in the after hangar, clad in a variation of her armor sporting the extra plating normally associated with Soroin. A close fitting, sealed helmet is under her arm, and a Loroi issue energy rifle in hand that she is closely checking, knowing full well that her damaged telekinetic abilities arent reliabile enough on their own.

Walking briskly to the assembled Marine and Teidar squads, she looks up from the beam rifle as she comes to a halt next to Pallan Knifebearer, satisfied it is in good working order. As always, she neglects her unpleasant Sanzai in favor of her spoken voice, "Teidar, Marines, form up! Ready for transit in two minutes." Turning to regard the commanding officers of the Terran and Loroi contingents, she continues, exchanging quick salutes, "Pallan, split your Teidar between the Marine squads. We may very well need their abilities anywhere, at any time."

Looking over at Captain Stone, Sunbloom gets right to the point, "Which is your premier squad?... I'd prefer the best for the retrieval of the stations logs and core."
Last edited by Senanthes on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.