Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
page 82 

Post page 82
WOW, just WOW. so much to say

moon's ships looks awesome firing its pulse cannons.

man that umiak heavy-cruiser got to be the newer type to take a relative point blank hit from a dual pulse cannon

Winter Tide :o :( :cry:
Spoiler: show
Salutes . . . RIP . . you shale be remembered

I guess will fin out how survivable loroi ships are soon enough ( I hope very well)

tolot blisters . . bring the rain :twisted: ( I know i know transformer fan :roll: )

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Post Re: page 82
Interesting detail on the gal's ship, seems to me that the port and starboard gun mounts talk to one another.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

How exactly do the Umiak aim those cannon blisters? I assume that what we see is just the end of the barrel poking out of a ball mount. But the way they are oriented makes it looks like all 3 barrels would intersect and not have enough room. Unless they are a lot shorter than I thought.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 pm

These updates are awesome.

I'm still unsure how to read visible damage in Outsider-verse, so I'm tempted to say - provided Winter Tide doesn't take too much more of a beating - the ship is currently disabled and drifting rather than about to go Boom. Will the Blisters be enough to save the ship from taking a further beating? Who knows. Here's to hoping!

Unfortunately probably not. I think that the Loroi were going to lose ships in this battle was, sadly, a given from the very start.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 pm

WOOT! Update! Awesome As always Arioch!

"Blood and Souls!"

[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm
Site Admin

Tamren wrote:
How exactly do the Umiak aim those cannon blisters? I assume that what we see is just the end of the barrel poking out of a ball mount. But the way they are oriented makes it looks like all 3 barrels would intersect and not have enough room. Unless they are a lot shorter than I thought.

The "barrel" for the plasma focus is wide but very short.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

So ashrain may have hide some of her supply... ether be for selfish good or because she calculated it would be better for later (aka now)

funny that i always know when there a new page only when i see a "page XX" as a new topic :P

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:23 pm
Profile WWW

Karst45 wrote:
funny that i always know when there a new page only when i see a "page XX" as a new topic :P

SO . . . what would you want "totally awesome new page" or " Update Alert: new page is up" . . . :?

Wintermute wrote:
I'm still unsure how to read visible damage in Outsider-verse, so I'm tempted to say - provided Winter Tide doesn't take too much more of a beating - the ship is currently disabled and drifting rather than about to go Boom. Will the Blisters be enough to save the ship from taking a further beating? Who knows. Here's to hoping!

I hope so too Wintermute, I keep on thinking about those big US Striker LAV's taking an IED and still fliping back on back . . . and is most cases they still drive them away

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Karst45 wrote:
So ashrain may have hide some of her supply... ether be for selfish good or because she calculated it would be better for later (aka now)

Stillstorm wrote:
Point defense by zone. Reserve nothing!

Ashrain does not have the privilege of holding out on the status of her ships ammunition/weapons load out.

The deployment pattern of the fleet was probably planned for in accordance to the remaining ships individual capabilities and remaining ordinance load outs. Which according to Tempo is practically all gone.

If Stillstorm was not informed of the Black Razor's available ordinance before the battle, well, sounds like a good case for insubordination to me. That and everyone who had friends on Winter's Tide is gonna want a piece of Ashrain's hide.

That said I think is very unlikely Stillstorm didn't know about the "blisters" either through the Tempest own sensor records of what the Razor has launched, or via report from Ashrain. I think it would be quite plausible that Ashrain was told to hold back from the front line of the formation just to make sure she could deploy the weapons before it would be likely for the Black Razor to suffer damage from enemy fire.

Damn, its been so long since i posted I had to re register...

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 am

Now that is a magnificent sight, a missile that opens up to reveal numerous little missiles - all on their merry way to dance with the defences of the opposition. I like that concept. I always consider the difference between beam type weapons (which can be defended with by a mirrored hull) and missiles (percussion impacts with explosives) must have alternative variations in the far future - the sight of mass drivers pummelling a planet in Babylon 5 has haunted me for quite some time. Those Tolot blistex weapons look ace ...

BTW it's a strange thing, when I get to a forum board I usually choose a same old same old name, but for some reason this time I decided to take umbridge at Tofu. Whowouldathunk it ... :)

I love the week when Outsider gets an update. This is my fave webcomic website for hard SF outer space stuff - meat and blood to this sad SF addict :)

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:07 am

Ohoho, somewhere out there's an Umiak who now wishes he hadn't gotten out of bed that day.
Wait do Umiak have beds?

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 am

Blisters, what a descriptive name for a missile that bursts open into smaller ordinance. Love it!

And after the long hiatus prior to page 79/80, I'm so happy to see Outsider updating again! :D

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:30 am

Riess wrote:
Ohoho, somewhere out there's an Umiak who now wishes he hadn't gotten out of bed that day.
Wait do Umiak have beds?

Dunno about the beds. I do imagine there are a few pieces of choice invective being exercised from Umiak command chairs right now.

Durandal wrote:
I'd have erased my seven times table to hear what the combat technicians on the Khfiva shouted when they learned I could focus a particle beam at nearly twice their maximum range.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 am

NOMAD wrote:
SO . . . what would you want "totally awesome new page" or " Update Alert: new page is up" . . . :?

that wouldn't be enough, i would add an Air Raid Siren just to be sure ;)

DyingMan_13 wrote:
That said I think is very unlikely Stillstorm didn't know about the "blisters" either through the Tempest own sensor records of what the Razor has launched, or via report from Ashrain. I think it would be quite plausible that Ashrain was told to hold back from the front line of the formation just to make sure she could deploy the weapons before it would be likely for the Black Razor to suffer damage from enemy fire.

I still believe ashrain is not acting directly with stillstorm accord. I know, you will say that in the middle of a battle some decision must be taken on the spot. but i think of those blister as artillery, you just dont fire them without the field commander knowing / ordering it and preparing their troop.

I fell ashrain actually trying to prove she better than stillstorm, after all she the daughter of the emperor. Am sure she fell superior to some loroi because of her lineage ;)

Timefly wrote:
And after the long hiatus prior to page 79/80, I'm so happy to see Outsider updating again! :D

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 am
Profile WWW

hi hi

Well, Stillstorm did say to "reserve nothing," so if she held onto them, she'd be disobeying orders I guess.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 am
Profile WWW

Karst45 wrote:

I read that line from Moonglow as being a comment on Ashrain's fire discipline rather then accusing Ashrain of concealing the amount of ammo reserves.

--Aygar

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

Well, Stillstorm did say to "reserve nothing," so if she held onto them, she'd be disobeying orders I guess.

I though that Stillstorm was referring to point defense in that line.

--Aygar

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:28 am

a 3M if I ever saw one, time for the Umiak gunners to earn their pay (if they get paid). again I'm glad I found this comic.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Aygar wrote:
icekatze wrote:
hi hi

I though that Stillstorm was referring to point defense in that line.

--Aygar

dido here, does that mean that the Tolat blisters are an Offensive weapon ?
To seem to me that they are that type of weapon

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm

@Nomad It certainly seems like an offensive system to me, I'd say if I had to tack a specific purpose to it it'd be breaking up hostile formations when deployed in numbers.

Another possibility might be as a kind of sucker punch for when the Loroi are forced into those kind of knife fights with the enemy. Give them something to rival Umiak plasma weaponry in close quarters.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Well Suttrjac, I have to agree with your first point, right on the money. To be used on large Umiak forces at Mid to long range. but would do you think of the warheads, med or heavy weight ?

Karst45 wrote:

that wouldn't be enough, i would add an Air Raid Siren just to be sure ;)

then my I give a selection:
A) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGUrM19BnJ8
B) at 30 secs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYgwCWTW ... ure=relmfu
C) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqg4a-O ... er&list=UL just waited for it

Timefly wrote:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!![/quote]

timefly: rule one about outsider updates: you may comment about updates, BUT NEVER ABOUT THE PROGRESS . . . it been proven to get late updates

now I'll just jump off a bridge for breaking that rule

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CRACK . . . dame rocks

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Well my opinion I'd suppose the weight would directly correspond to the martial philosophy of the firer. In the case of the Loroi I don't see them packing an endall on to what I'm reckoning is a light battle cruiser though there is the waveloom on the Tempest so I might be wrong. 'Course I ain't holding a certainty as to whether or not the flagship is a BC or not so I might be wrong on that account too.

If I had to take a guess I'd render em with a medium weight, ain't no right sense in making a heavier slower warhead when a lighter one'll perform just fine and probably to better effect for the intended purpose. Lighter munitions means more of em with better agility.

And if I can digress I do wonder as to the nature of the warheads. The missiles look to me like a stubbier version of a TBG-7 sans the propellant charge and just in space. I'd like to think they're an analogue to thermobaric weapons of today, penetrate the armor and then catch fire the air inside. That way you ain't just causing local damage from the explosion but you've also a chance to kill the ship entire or at least any suited up personnel in the vicinity.

Course I ain't no scientist and there's a decent possibility I'm talking out my ass but I just got this beautiful image of a wall of fire goin down corridors :D

though I ain't no scientist I couldn't rightly say what would happen.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm

I'd like to say something about this page really fast, and just the way Outsider has been depicting spaceship combat so far in general.

I am really happy that the combat isn't just Ship gets hit. Ship explodes. It is really nice to see armor and shields doing something for a change, and holding under pressure. It's really a refreshing change of pace from the normal Sci-Fi tropes (and most popular media in general) where armor just may as well not even exist.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Suttrjac wrote:
Well my opinion I'd suppose the weight would directly correspond to the martial philosophy of the firer. In the case of the Loroi I don't see them packing an endall on to what I'm reckoning is a light battle cruiser though there is the waveloom on the Tempest so I might be wrong. 'Course I ain't holding a certainty as to whether or not the flagship is a BC or not so I might be wrong on that account too.

Well , if you check the insider loroi ship class the Tempest is a Group command ship, IE: a squadron, or division leader) and its weapon load is near a battle cruiser ( see the vanguard BC). And the waveloom was a type of focused super beam weapon (IIRC :?: )

Suttrjac wrote:
If I had to take a guess I'd render em with a medium weight, ain't no right sense in making a heavier slower warhead when a lighter one'll perform just fine and probably to better effect for the intended purpose. Lighter munitions means more of em with better agility.

I'm for that opinion too, more Anti-ship uses mean a med of light projectile. but on the other hand, light projectile mean ALOT more could be placed into the tolot blisters weapon system. but your reasoning make sense ;)

Suttrjac wrote:
And if I can digress I do wonder as to the nature of the warheads. The missiles look to me like a stubbier version of a TBG-7 sans the propellant charge and just in space. I'd like to think they're an analogue to thermobaric weapons of today, penetrate the armor and then catch fire the air inside. That way you ain't just causing local damage from the explosion but you've also a chance to kill the ship entire or at least any suited up personnel in the vicinity.

Most warhead in Outsiders are anti-matter -like types and when I mean like it not a Pure AM reaction ( which take ALOT of energy to make ) but something close. Therefore, it very effective towards shields and hulls. Yet, your point of massive explosion with pressure wave would still applied.

Suttrjac wrote:
Course I ain't no scientist and there's a decent possibility I'm talking out my ass but I just got this beautiful image of a wall of fire goin down corridors :D

though I ain't no scientist I couldn't rightly say what would happen.

ah yes, the old Sci-fi battle standard. but still fun :D

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 pm

With an energy weapon hit it would probably be a bit more of great blinding light at eh end of the hallway any non oblique surface either combusting or melting while glowing furiously and the atmosphere turning rapidly into plasma.

A missile hit may do the wall of fire its possible i would think, but probably be more fire wash around the far area and shock wave causing secondary shrapnel as it passes down the hallway.

Both events would probably be over before human speeds of perception even registered it as occurring.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next