[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (IC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Beliskner

Re: [RP] Operation: Deep Strike (IC)

Post by Beliskner »

...our Captain's life... Hadrid paused his thinking process and looked around bridge. He heard rumors mentioning Capitan being incapacitated and Cmdr. Ptak is in charge but dead...

Captain MacRae is dead??? He said tiredly.
Last edited by Beliskner on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Kam grimaces chastised by the captain, "Uhm... Aye Ma'am."

Then mutters, "...I'll just go back to my helm-station and play good silent 'stupid' soldier now."

...obviously embarrassed that his lost temper as he returns to the helm console seat.
Last edited by sunphoenix on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

Hadrid looked as angry pilot walked away and turned to screen.
"Listen, I'm not interested in your secrets. I was called here to help you in repairs and I can't do that if you don't trust me."

Form moment there was silent discussion aboard Pure wind where Soroin Paset Ranne was probably hitting commander due to faces which both woman made.
"DeSoto, I'm transmitting command codes to your computers"

Purple haired loroi hit some buttons and few moments later transmitting signal came to bridge.
"If you have any suggestions about repairs, please don't hesitate to tell me."

Hadrid grabbed his personal computer and entered Loroi ship's systems.
"I will do what I can."

First, he wanted to see what is wrong with fuel extractor. So he made a forced order to activate extractor when nothing happened he run diagnostic program. Alerted by error and red screen in her console, Ranne responded:
"What are you doing? I told you, extractor is damaged."

"Yes, so it seems. Look if we can somehow divert fuel to remaining engine perhaps we could activate extractor."

"Perhaps we could use cooling pipes which lies next to fuel one's."

Hadrid looked again at damaged sections, mostly at fuel lines. Yes that could work... well at least for few hours enough to accelerate a bit. Clever girl he though.
"It's worth a shot. You could only bypass this and this sections to eliminate leaking and avoid high pressure in coolers." he said pointing damaged sections.

Both engineers made few more plans when diagnostic scan poped on both screens.

Oh Shit... he said in human tongue

It was not surprise that loroi looked at com screen then on diagnostic scan. Most of Loroi who had contact with humans already known most of popular curses and insults to avoid being insulted without knowledge of it. Mud Coat looked at report and responded:
"I don't understand computer says that extractor is working so why we can put it on line?" She probably received senzai answer because she made grim face.

"The problem is software. You see, this log indicated there was energy spike during second strike. It went directly to engineering hub and connected systems. Most of them fried immediately, fuses on engine section reacted to slowly to stop full discharge. In another words only small portion of spike went though damaging only software."

He clicked few buttons and the program appeared on the screen. Besides the usual lines of text there were hundreds of corrupted lines in forms of **** /*/*--*//*/-*- ect.
"I... I don't have knowledge about software, it's not my field..."

"Are there any possibilities to recover missing code parts? or restore it? Maybe there are backups somewhere in the systems."

Hadrid raised his head "Backups are always in engineering core which is destroyed or inaccessible for us so there is non to replace it, as for repairs it could take me hours to repair so much lines of text and there would be no warranty that it works. However I will begin immediately if our captain approve my commitment.."

Hadrid turned toward Donna waiting for her decision..

-> rolls Computer engineering
Mechanical engineering
Last edited by Beliskner on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

((hi hi

Thanks for all the pre-emptive rolls, I'm amazed that there has only been one or two below average rolls so far. But thankfully it hasn't thrown too big of a wrench in my plans. :P ))

{Safety. Yes. I am curious about who you are, even if this is an elaborate ruse. The colored translation software has provided a significant framework for understanding this trading language but there is little context. Words only relate to other words. So many simulacrum. Many self referential concepts. Myself was created by my people. My people are the beings that were created and that created ourselves. The mother creates the child and the father is unknown. So much has been lost. My people did not care for the exterior. Existing within a world within a world. When the divide arrived they were unprepared. Much was lost. We thought to learn from our mistake and climb the well. In the end, all paths led to an end.}

---

Mud Coat is visibly shaken by Kamielle's anger, and Braid places a second hand on her shoulder. The act of purposefully chilling their core temperatures has not only slowed their physical reflexes, but their expressions seem to take and fade away more slowly. By the time Mud Coat has recovered enough to speak, Kamielle has already finished his speech and Donna's message has crossed the light gap between the two ships.

"Commander. I..." Her words catch in her throat. "I am sorry for the loss of your Captain. Please be proud that he has not disgraced himself in the end. Our own... We should focus on the task at hand."

She abruptly stops once again, then with a painful slowness, stands up from the chair with Braid's assistance. Her face is scrunched up in something of a scowl as she moves to the edge of the frame, letting her now senior engineer take center stage. The two of them exchanging some sort of wordless dialogue.

((Beliskner's last post begins immediately after this.))

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Kamielle chimes in speaking to Captain Ptak, "Ma'am... would it be possible for us to just save their corrupted software data to off-line storage and upload our operating systems and parameters from our own core memory? I mean... a good chuck of the tech on that ship is Human technology... it might not run perfectly... but we could patch the programming as needed rather than scanning lines of code for the software error... when they need help Now!"
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

((hi hi))

After long hours of grueling work, the Pure Wind's annihilation engine once again lit up the night sky. A faint streak of blue against a cold and black backdrop. Success, however, did not come without a cost. The attention to detail in reviving the wounded engine was top notch, but it failed to take into account a few important details. User error compounded by fatigue... With the Loroi onboard in poor condition, tired, hungry, half frozen and suffering from various degrees of radiation sickness, it was only a matter of time before one of them made a mistake. The details of just how close the Pure Wind came to foundering would not be revealed until long afterwards when the danger was passed, but for the people onboard the DeSoto, the panicked radio chatter from the 3rd EVA team was a chilling monument to their efforts. All they could do was sit and listen as the junior technician fumbled a sealing operation, endure the shouts and screams as she and her two companions tried to repair the breech and watch the gamma ray indicator spike wildly on long range sensor display. By the time the information reached the DeSoto, the crisis had already been over for 20 minutes.

The reports from the Pure Wind were short and terse as they got underway, and for the better part of a day, they seemed to be gliding effortlessly through the cosmos. The second problem came later, as they approached the outer planet. A damaged failsafe allowed a power surge go unnoticed. The engine's remaining exhaust foil failed as they were still a half a light minute out, melting halfway through in the time it took the crew to manually shut off the jerry rigged fuel lines. After that, the Pure Wind managed to enter a wide, semi-stable orbit on maneuvering thrusters alone, nearly exhausting their supply of reaction mass and leaving the crippled ship stranded. In the end, though, they had cut days off their rendezvous time with the DeSoto, and if any member of their crew thought their situation was unfair, they did not voice their concerns.

The third hitch in the plan came when the Pure Wind was approaching Perigee with the gas giant. From the perspective of the DeSoto, the exchange looked like a half dozen heat spikes between the Pure Wind and an unidentified object that had been hiding in of the gas giant's minor rings. After a tense half an hour and numerous and at times frantic requests from Lieutenant Chu for a report, the Pure Wind's full sensor log of the engagement was transmitted along with damage reports and a message that crew of the Pure Wind sustained no additional casualties. Though their own sensors were heavily damaged, they had still managed to detect the warmup cycle of an apparently autonomous defense satellite. Without maneuvering fuel, the Pure Wind made an easy target, but thankfully it was a target that could return fire and in the end, the damage was minor.

As the days crawled past, the DeSoto prepared to rendezvous with the Pure Wind at the Apogee of its orbit, in hopes that the DeSoto might avoid contact with any more hidden defense satellites that might have been hiding in the ruined planetary system. In a rare change of pace since entering the Twin Rogues system, the crew of the DeSoto was able to catch a break. The approach was flawless, the Pure Wind had managed to null out their spin and as the drop shuttle began ferrying crew back and fourth between the two ships, the extent of the Loroi's problems became clear.

Days of living at near freezing temperatures had severely weakened much of the surviving crew. Many of them had barely eaten since the first attack, between radiation sickness and their shut down metabolism, some of them were to the point where they had to crawl themselves to the airlock to be ferried over to the DeSoto and her now over-stretched medical facilities. Thankfully, for most of them the damage was not permanent, and well within the capability of the DeSoto's medical staff to handle, especially since the Loroi had shared much of their medical knowledge in advance. Some of the survivors recover quickly and many of them seem eager to return to duty, wanting to help out in any way they can, though a few of them seem lethargic and resigned, even when given a clean bill of health.

The real shock came when Security Chief Lt. Cdr. Pablo Delgado reached the Pure Wind's medical bay. As one of the first members of the DeSoto boarding party, he had extensive training and experience, but even he was unprepared for what he saw. His voice coming in over the comm system betrayed his shock.

"DeSoto... Chu... This is Leo. You are not going to believe this... Holy... Damn... Captain Red Salt and, hell, most of their bridge crew is in the medical bay here and some of these wounds look like they were caused by small arms fire and... what the blazes I don't even know what caused this..."

The images from his helmet mounted camera are a little fuzzy but abundantly clear. Most of the bridge crew from the Pure Wind is alive, though many of them have wounds that look like they were caused by the sidearms that Loroi carry. The second in command, Flame Oath, looks like she has been sliced by a blade and many of them have strange discolored bruises. The single medtech on duty at the time remains silent, staring off into space when questioned about the injuries.

((P.S. You now have direct access to the Pure Wind's crew and systems, including the hangar bay and her two interceptors.))

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Kamielle was on edge for the several days it took for the DeSote to rendezvous with the Pure Wind. To those that had gotten to know the young space fighter pilot, especially 'Cowboy' it was obviously not anger... but sweetly... actual worry over the safety for the Loroi crew of the allied ship. A 'hands On' kind of solider it was pure agony for Kam to hear reports of allied soldiers in danger and not being able to 'mount up' in a space fighter and get aid to them in a hurry.

But at long last when the ships met at Perigee Kam volunteered to be into the thick of helping out. If there was any resentment in his heart as his harsh words had indicated days before... it did not show in his actions now as he lend a hand personally in rendering aid to the weakened and hungry Loroi crew. He only spoke words of support and made no references to the cause of the their current situation or harp on blame placing. His full efforts were given to helping the Loroi crew. Not in patronizing fashion... but like a very concerned older brother he carried crew and supplies and whatever else was needed to help in the effort - his only concern that as many lives be saved as possible!

Kamielle signals, {"Hey 'Doc' Leo, I hear ya. Seems like they might have had some kind of 'disagreement' with their command officers. See if there are any Teidar in there... their the officer types - maybe they will shed some light on what went down. I'm down in Engineering on the 'Pure Wind' with Chief Hadrid... just delivering parts and supplies for repair.... he's trying to figure out if we can get - the melted heap that is the 'Pure Wind's' Engines and Life Support back on-line..."}, there is a pause... {"...and he's giving me that... 'I'm a engineer not a priest look', I think he's telling me this looks bad... 'Pure Wind' may be dead on arrival. Regardless, get those officers over to the DeSote, well get them some food and into a warm enviro. Pack them in with us as needed... even if we have to put sleeping bags in the hallways... for our crew. Their hurting over here... help however you can!"}
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

((hi hi

Just to clarify, according to insider, Teidar are the marines (like fireblade), Torrai are usually the senior officers, however, the Pure Wind is a small craft and only warranted a Soroin Torret as its captain. (Red Salt) she and her next in command, (Soroin Mallas Flame Oath) are both incapacitated. Soroin Tiris Sosen Sellol (mud coat) with whom you were communicating earlier is currently the ranking officer that is conscious. Looking at the Pure Wind's duty roster, she's pretty far down on the chain of command.))

Three days until perigee. The otherwise unnamed jovian planet, Twin Rogues IV, is a crescent sliver of blue and grey that fills the sky to port. As the pair of starships near the night side of the planet, its otherwise pitch black disk is punctuated by tiny flashes of lightning, too small and numerous to pick out any individual strike. Soon Twin Rogues one and its enemy presence will be obscured from view.

Carrying the crew of the Pure Wind back to the DeSoto was a painstaking process. The docking procedures alone took more than ten minutes for each round trip, and it took several trips to ferry the entire crew across.

To walk the hallways of the Pure Wind was a haunting affair. Even though the first aboard crews had managed to restore the life support systems to a level that didn't require environment suits, the warmth did little to dispel the feeling that it was a ghost ship. The hull had been warped and twisted by their exploding engine in a subtle way that gave the hallways near the aft a gentle bend to them. Fractured display panels and hastily repaired bulkheads were commonplace, but perhaps the most unnerving quality was the silence. That ever-present hum of engines and reactors generating energy was conspicuously absent. The scattered splotches of blue on the walls and deck don't immediately register as blood, but they remain as markers for some injury or another. Further aft, there are entire compartments that have been blackened by fires long extinguished, their contents almost entirely destroyed.

If the DeSoto had seemed cramped before, it felt downright packed now. She'd only been designed to hold 55 crew members and now she was housing 72 of them, many of which were not in good health. Many of the DeSoto's original crew were volunteering their bunks to those recovering from radiation sickness, and the mess hall had been converted into a makeshift dormitory in-between meals. Bumping into someone in the halls was an occasional event before, but now things were even more crowded, and the new tenants didn't tend to appreciate being touched. It was perhaps a mixed blessing then, that many of them chose to stay out of the way.

Braid was one of the first of the Loroi crew to recover. Standing nearby Hadrid on the wreck of the Pure Wind while the two of them tried to piece together what, if anything, was salvageable. Her tenuous grasp on the Trade language made communication difficult at best, and the frustration in her voice was apparent, even though she kept her voice low. "The over light... device... It seems to be workable with some... more work. Power distribution good, but finding power seems to be... unworkable."

Tenoin Shawl fared much better than Flint, who was still under close medical supervision. Shawl was up and about, wrapped in a standard issue blanket, trying to work her way to the command center. She didn't seem to be interested in asking for directions, and her mastery of the Trade language did little to aid her in deciphering the signs and markers on the DeSoto which were still being written in the latin alphabet. This led to her slowly working her way around the ship, poking her head into every doorway before carrying on.

Flint, on the other hand, had received one of the worst doses of radiation out of anyone. Even with the Loroi's natural hardiness against radiation, she'd been stuck in her fighter for hours before finally reaching medical treatment. Lenoire Lorentz was optimistic about her eventual recovery, but when pressed had to admit that it wasn't a certainty. Huell was much more forward in his assessment, giving her 60% odds of pulling through. She was in worse shape than even Lt. Cdr. Gupton.

When asked about the Bridge crew of the Pure Wind, Lorentz just shook her head in defeat. "Their conditions aren't worsening, as far as I can tell, but their brainwave patterns are highly erratic. I can't confirm that whatever this is that they're suffering from isn't telepathic in nature." Huell cough's abruptly and pointedly at the comment, "Of course, I have no hard evidence of that. I'm not even sure what evidence of telepathy would look like to be entirely honest. The strange bruising seems to be centered around their upper bodies, and might suggest a more physical explanation instead. I can't get a straight answer from their own med tech though. She's been in and out of consciousness since we brought her aboard. Turns out she'd been keeping herself awake with stimulants."

One of the Loroi midshipmen who had recovered quickly (Soroin Paset Dennot) was in the med bay doing her best to assist the DeSoto's crew. Her confusion was apparent when people were speaking in English around her, but every time someone gave a questioning glance in her direction, she'd force a smile and give a thumbs up. It was clearly something she had only heard about humans doing, because she really didn't have the knack of using hand signal at appropriate times.

Mud Coat, the acting captain of the Pure Wind seemed to be doing her best to stay out of the way once she was released from medical. Anyone walking into the only partially fixed conference room would see her standing next to a viewport, watching Twin Rogues IV grow ever so gradually larger. Most people have been avoiding her intentionally, and she doesn't react when you enter the room. An incomplete poem, written in trade on the patchwork breech repair plating, gives some indication of what is on her mind.

<between ...
adrift in silence
her final call>

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Kamielle helps out wherever possible... fascinated by the lithe petite lovely Loroi crew-women.

He always has a gentle smile and a helping spirit to make their integration with the human crew of the DeSoto as smooth as possible. Respecting their personal space his is the perfect gentleman polite and courteous... if a little shy around the elfin beauties.

He notes the contemplative nature of their acting Captain ...curious about her name... wondering how she got it or why her mother chose it for her...

Eventually Kam builds up the self-Conscious courage to speak to her...

"Uhm... excuse me please Acting-Captain Mud Coat... you seem to have much on you mind. I do not wish to be improprietous, impertinent, or presumptuous. But, some decisions will need to be made... about your vessel. If we cannot get her operable... we will need to at least cannibalize her stardrive so we can all leave here. Also... right now the DeSoto and the Pure Wind are vulnerable to further attack in their current state. Most of your crew are sick from exposure and radiation sickness... especially your pilots. Which is the real question... I am one of the chief pilots of the DeSoto... I would like to ask permission to begin regular patrols of our immediate Space in your Interceptors...until your own pilots have recovered enough to take up the duty themselves."

He pauses looking out into space with her.

He smiles a little shyly continuing, "...I notice you are a writer. My mother use to read poetry to me as a child, when I was afraid of the dark. She had a lullaby she would sing me to sleep with - I remember it even now. I don't know... its silly but it inspires me... whenever events go badly or I get depressed, discouraged or afraid..."

His voice is soft and not unpleasant to the ear, perhaps an unrealized musical gift he possesses and never really made use of as he sings softly the lullaby.

"Time will use tomorrow,
When we’ve used today.
It will find the sorrow,
And wash it all away.

And maybe in the new day,
We can break the spell
It may be tomorrow,
but only time will tell.

Somewhere in the darkness,
there must be a light,
Leading us together,
Through the misty night

Love can play a new tune,
On this carousel.
It may be tomorrow,
But only time will tell.

There can be a new dream,
One for us to hold,
Made with peace and hope
And built upon the old.

No one has the answer
To give away or sell
Tomorrow holds the secret
But only time will tell."
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

--------------------
Just to clear things I gave Paset Ranne (Braid) 004000 color and and made her fluent in trade before icekatze's posts so things may not sum up. Hope he can forgive me and fix his post.
A bit longer post this time...

--------------------

Hadrid and Ranne worked about hour, outside the ship when Hadrid's watch ringed. He looked at it and smiled. Finally...
"Right, Ranne it's time to get back, our shift is almost over and we need to get those parts back."
With out a word she swigged a salvage bag over shoulder and nodded. Hadrid looked at her face surprised, through the transparent visor he saw Ranne's calm and dry face while he was almost boiling inside his suit .... luckily she couldn't see his face though ballistic facemask.
"Ready? Alright let's get back before shuttle departs." He took his bag and both went back toward secured airlock of the wreck. After landing safely in DeSoto hangar bay and reporting back ,both engineers walked through crowded passages of main deck. Reaching T junction Hadrid stopped and turned toward Ranne.
"I would forget, our... Chief engineer wanted to speak with you, I don't know what he want but better go see him. I can take those part from you."
"Yes, I wanted to speak with him, if I'm understanding correctly all engineers fall under his command?" She said giving her bag away.
"Yea, you can say that, if you need assistance or have questions. He is now in main engineering hub on this deck. You can go see him if you want... I will be going downstairs to machine shop."
He grabbed all bags from floor and started moving toward elevator. Seeing Ranne following he turned and smiled.
"No, that way, second turn on the right." he said pointing direction.
"Second Right? Thank you... commander." Ranne made quite friendly smile and went her way while he went his.
--------------------

Ranne walked to hub, spending her thoughts on humans and their customs... many of them was so confusing and tricky... she thought. Reaching hub she saw chief Rodriguez with the rest of his shaft maintaining computers in room. Approaching central station she was cut off by surprising words directed to her.
"You shouldn't be here miss.." Said chief turning forward her. "Ahh I remember you, engineer from PureWind right? You wished to speak with me, yesterday?"
"Yes, sorry to interrupt you but I wish to make myself useful aboard this vessel instead sitting around doing nothing. I'm sure you need every help you can get."
Chief Rodriguez looked at determined Loroi before him and made ordinary nod. "If you wish so hard how can I refuse. However you must know that you will be working with humans so take notice to that, I heard that there are some quarrels begging to rise aboard and I don't want any trouble in my ranks."
Ranne stood silent for moment like she thought what to say and responded with calm voice:
"I won't make any problems, Commander, I simply want to help and try repaying for saved live of mine."
color=#BB6000]"Fair enough for me. But if you want to works as a team you need to get to one, I have 3 teams working 8h per shaft then they rotating so one team is working, second is on stand-by, and third is sleeping, simple as it is. Every shaft have it's own commander and consist of 4 men. So you can chose one."[/color]
"What about team I was working with today?"
"Hadrid's flock? Good people, crazy but good ones. Ferox is good lad, he keeps his boys cool so you shouldn't have any problems there."
Ranne made another nod "How can I jo.." She was interpreted by sudden firmly move of Chief who miss her and made few faster steps to end of room. Then without any warning he shouted very loudly, scaring Ranne to bones.
Midshipman SIMMONS!!!!
To Ranne surprise no one from deck turned or even blinked, they worked as normal while a unfamiliar head slipped out the door.
You called me, Sir? Seeing Chief nod, the person came to Ranne view. She was a bit shorter than her, she had a bit darker skin than rest of humans around, brown eyes and dark hair tied together at the back. She was dressed in typical human orange jumpsuit, however she wore it only partly while upper part was bound around her waist showing her black t-shirt.
She made her way to Cmdr. Rodriguez and responded formally.
Midshipman Cathy Simmons reporting for duty, Sir.
Come closer, mate. Chief led new person to Ranne and said firmly "Simmons, this is Paset Ranne, engineer, she will be joining your shaft for time being. Show here place around and make sure she fills in." He turned forward Ranne This is Midshipman Cathy Simmons, it's proper to call her Midshipman Simmons. She will guide you from now on. You can go now, welcome to crew miss. Cmdr. Rodriguez watched as both women leaving his room and thanked god silently for positive outcome from conversation.
---------------------------------

As both girls left engineering hub, Cathy looked at her new teammate with curiosity.
"Don't take this Oldtimer teachings to much. You can call me simply Cathy, forget formatives. nice to meet you."
"Sorin Paset Ranne, you can call me Ranne. Where are we going?"
"I don't know, we should put you somewhere, have any place to sleep?"
"Well I was sleeping on floor for few days, there is not much space left."
Floor? damm... Do you don't mind the presence of human males in quarters?
Ranne halted, trying to process information while Cathy turned looking confused at loroi's face.
"What you mean?" she whispered.
"I mean bed, real one. We looted one of storage rooms 3 level below us. Basic furniture where made in free time mostly from scrap so there is everything ready now. But the biggest advantage is bathroom connected to storage so we don't need to get upstairs to take a shower."
"Would they accept my presents?"
"Let's find up"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

((hi hi))

Captain Mud Coat shifts her weight as Kamielle begins to talk, but relaxes again as he continues. In the dim light of the shattered meeting room, it is difficult to catch her expression. It is only after Kamielle finishes his lullaby and moment of silence passes that she speaks.

"Thank you..." She slowly turns to face Kamielle, "Your generosity... it is something that is not easy for many Loroi to accept. We look so alike, I think sometimes it is easy to forget how very different we are."

She turns back towards the porthole, this time steadying herself with one arm against the bulkhead.

"There can be a new dream, made with peace and hope." She speaks the words slowly, as though they are entirely foreign to her, "It is not a sentiment a warrior should share. Terrans, they... you, are raised to value peace, it is said. That civilians stand above soldiers. I... I have never felt shame, not even in defeat, but I have never been in command. It has never been upon my hands that dishonor should lay. I am the one who hides in the mud and lets her foes slip past..."

She hangs her head low for what seems like an eternity. A tiny glint highlights the corner of her eye before she abruptly straightens herself out.

"And it shall be my responsibility to bear the burden this time." A wry smile forms on her face as she talks, "I do not know what customs humans possess for defeat, but perhaps we will see just how much disgrace one band can accrue... The Pure Wind's star drive is yours. Until we are ready to flee the system, you may commence interceptor patrols."

----

Integrating the Pure Wind's jump drive into the DeSoto had been no trivial task. It took days of planning and strenuous EVA work. Figuring out how to remove the hardware and integrate it into the DeSoto's power grid had been an engineering nightmare. Cutting away entire sections of the Pure Wind's hull to remove the drive was not something that could have been accomplished by hand. The Pure Wind's interceptors had to blast away the warped outer armor with laser weaponry and then gently tug the carved remains through space.

As the DeSoto limped away towards its jump vector, the crew assembled in the mess hall to pay their final respects to the dead. It was an unofficial, spur of the moment affair. There was no guide book on Loroi funeral rites, though many of the crew felt they should try to honor the Loroi traditions as best they could. A few of the Loroi took offense at that notion, a few more joined in attendance with the DeSoto's crew. No words were spoken. As unusual as that might have seemed for a human, it was not a strange thing for the Loroi.

A brilliant flash lit up the night sky as the Pure Wind was scuttled, followed a few hours later by a smaller but still dazzling burst of energy as the DeSoto jumped back to the fleet. For the first time in days, the crew was able to truly relax.

Perhaps some day, the secrets of that remote Umiak base and the surrounding ancient ruins would be revealed.