what names mean

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: what names mean

Post by Snoofman »

If a Loroi asked the meaning of my spoken name, I suppose it would translate, mind you this is bending it a bit, "Who is graciously humble like God? The Scribe."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

my family name is extremely uncommon, and we know it's an abbreviation for "living close to the spit".
Since it's German, "the spit" refers to the Curonian Spit.

my first name is a common name, Martin.

So, I am the "of war"/ "warlike" near the "Curonian Spit".
So, I could say my meaning is "Warrior living near the Curonian Spit".
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

D-503

Post by D-503 »

Krulle wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:52 pm
"the spit" refers to the Curonian Spit.
Are you of prussian ancestry?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Yes.No... The name is.

Seeing the family tree though, other influences are far more important.
Prussian is only the name.
The name-bearers were day-labourer back then. Which is unusual to have written records of from that time.
But someone somewhere recorded that our namebearer got paid for his day's job, and received his lunch, and dinner,...
Over two weeks or so the name appears in the recording, and for some years afterwards every spring and autumn in the books of that farmstead.
(Others often only recorded how much was spent on the day labourers, and not the names of the recipients.)

But the other family side (mother's) were Huguenots from the Normandie. Which is also visible in their family name.
The city recorded the arrival of several of them, one of them being our ancestor. Recorded was
arrived on (date): (name) from ..., with his wife (name), his thirteen sons (names) and daughters (no names recorded!).

By now, all of the name bearers became catholic, because they were one of the few who stopped their migration rather short beyond the border, in a catholic city (Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle/Aken/Oche/Aquis Granum).

D-503

Post by D-503 »

Hey, thanks for so much detail!
Half of my family has eastprussian ancestry, and the very first recordings were entries in baptism books after the Teutonic Order conquered the baltic and "pre-prussian" (Pruzzen and Barten eg) tribes (around 1280, there is/was a copy of a copy in Rastenburg of that).
While the Teutonic Order was catholic, almost all prussians converted to protestantism after the Duchy of Prussia was established in 1525; so my family is protestant for almost a half millenium by now.
A lot of my family were "precocial" :) , because the meager land couldn´t feed all, so a lot of them wandered westward early (Thorn, Danzig, even Luebeck), and the rest followed after hitlers fatal "european tour"...
Today we´re spread out over the whole planet. ;)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Funny thing is, my wife is also from East-Prussian descendance.
But from a different region.
Regarding catholic/protestant... From my family side's name I don't know who was what when.
My wife's side decided by coin toss when a protestant man married a catholic woman.
She won the coin toss. (great-grandmother)
So a part of her family is protestant, the majority of those she has contact with are catholics.

My family is, as far as I can tell, purely catholic.

But we're all rather agnostics. (You can't prove god exists, but you also cannot prove he does not exist. So, I think there may be someone there, possibly even watching us, but we're likely more like an ant-colony that got dismissed by the 7 year old we think to be god.)

D-503

Post by D-503 »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:52 am
But we're all rather agnostics.
Same here.
Faith is something very personal - no contracts with, or love for "Church industries"... :mrgreen: