Outsider Musical Character Portraits

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Outsider Musical Character Portraits

Post by Bamax »

Here you may use music you think fits any Outsider character....so long it is appropriate of course!

You may add a title to each song that you think it should have as it relates to the character.

I choose Fireblade with (EDITED 12/25/21) Romance by Apocalyptica which is fitting considering both her tragic and dramatic backstory.

She is literally a walking PTSD just waiting for something to set her off. With superpowers.

Last edited by Bamax on Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Outsider Musical Character Portraits

Post by Arioch »

This is a piece from the World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor soundtrack by Neil Acree.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

While this may not be a perfect match, I can picture this being Commander Stillstorm's theme, especially during the battle with the Umiak (which Ensign Jardin observes).

160 BPM from Angels and Demons

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I feel as a whole, and from the name itself, Outsider, if the lyrics are taken literally this song fits very well as an encompassing theme to the comic. I could even imagine it being the opening theme to an animated version (fingers crossed). Although I will admit it depends on one's feelings towards electronic dance music.

#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Ooh. I love the "Angels and Demons" at battleship operation room scene, where Alex can see that commands are given but no spoken word is expressed. Lot of fast closeups between loroi crew members, on their facial expressions, to express the unheard sanzai and on their hands, when the orders turn into actions.

And "Beautiful Alien" became my favourite song of week.
Supporter of forum RPG

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I think the first minute of "Beautiful Alien" works as a theme for Outsider. Or a scene where Alex is watching how loroi celebrate.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 pm

This is a piece from the World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor soundtrack by Neil Acree.
There a choir part there. That's a foul!

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Originally this song is named Stronger Than Ever

Song renamed: Reserve Nothing

Here is my musical take on the first Loroi/Umiak space battle shown. I think it goes well from the point they realize a massive volley of missiles are pointed at them and Stillstorm orders "Reserve nothing!" It also in a way shows Loroi superior firepower, since a small Loroi battle group still defeated a numerically greater foe with few warship losses.

The music also has several dramatic stalls, which indicate in a way that yes, the Umiak are a threat and they do use strategy that can confound the Loroi, even as they did in that battle.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Tempo's Theme: All This (by Kevin Macleod)

Mainly I picked this song because Tempo is a Mizol, with all the power that entails, both gunboat diplomacy and actual psychokinesis. Coupled with what Tempo said she feared....the end of the youthful courage the Loroi had before the Umiak war began.

Talon's Theme: Adventure Meme (Kevin Macleod)

Talon comes across as straight forward and no nonense. Yet she is kind of a teenager in a adult woman's body, due to Loroi rapid maturity (ten years is an adult). I believe in human years she is about 16. She is a pilot, a woman, and a teenager all in one. Maybe I should just call her a womeenager.. .soldier girl would work too. She does not seem to suffer fools gladly.

Spiral's Theme: Lighthearted and hyperactive....with exclamation marks! A teensy weensy bit of a somber tune too, since for all Spiral's playfulness she is well aware that she signed up where the death turnover rate was high.

Last edited by Bamax on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tip: to use the [youtube] tag, only include the video identifier (the part of the URL after "v=").

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Weird, it worked,at first. Now it no longer does.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:19 pm
It worked before because I was editing your posts for you. :D

It also won't work if there are any spaces before or after. It's a little fussy.
I didn't write this custom tag myself... I imagine there's probably a better one out there somewhere.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:24 am
Bamax wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:19 pm
It worked before because I was editing your posts for you. :D

It also won't work if there are any spaces before or after. It's a little fussy.
I didn't write this custom tag myself... I imagine there's probably a better one out there somewhere.

Ah...sorry about that. Well perhaps I will get it right now that I know that.

Teach a man to fish and you feed him the rest of his life they say...thank you

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

It was actually hard to think of a piece that fits Beryl, inasmuch she she actually has said less about herself than she has about her race itself. After all this time and as much as Beryl talks, it's ironic that I know less about what she is about than Talon, Spiral, or even Tempo. The only thing I am sure of with Beryl is that she does seem to like Alex and she seems somewhat jealous, at least with Talon. Of course it may be more a matter of Beryl pulling rank on Talon. Since he is an smbassador and Beryl may think Talon is too young and immature, besides the fact that Alex is her main responsibility, so if anyone should get involved with him romantically perhaps she feels it should be her.

What can be said about her is she is ebullient and enthusiastic about her job, while retaining occasional bossiness.

That said, I think this music fits Beryl well. It's from Bach. A sonata in C major for recorder or flute with accompaniment of one or two background instruments for bass/melody.

This one is for recorder, as flutes are played sideways and recorders are blown and played straight.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

EDIT: 11/17/21 Same music, but I felt these girls played with a lot more verve than the guys did, and enjoyed it more, since they do seem more passionate since it is obvious they enjoy this piece.

This music I picked for Stillstorm...inasmuch she is the boss of her ship, and her crew does fear upsetting her.

That said, I also think there is more to her than how she seems. Nurture versus nature can be debated about Stillstorm's character....but I suppose a war like this going on for decades does tend to nurture people to become tough cookies like Stillstorm.

Underneath all her hardness, she still displays curiousity and even amusement at times. I like Stillstorm.

Perhaps she was half amused, half impressed with Alex response...still does not mean she likes him. Just means Alex has triggered both her curiousity and doubt...and perhaps a smidgen of sympathy since Stillstorm lived through much the same situation as Alex. They have that much in common if nothing else. Survivors of wrecked military spacecraft!

Last edited by Bamax on Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I think this music well represents the ongoing Umiak invasion... and perhaps more. Like foreshadowing and also what drives them.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

This music could be for the ensuing struggle that will occur when the Umiak start to panic once they realize psi-troops are onboard, coupled with the loroi plan and whatever else that will occur happening.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

I erased the last post with Circles by Break of Reality since I thought the first music posted is best for Fireblade.
Last edited by Bamax on Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

While, in general, I think your taste in music rocks (seriously, I could drive across country with these tracks), I actually think that the "Break of Reality" piece works better for Tempo than Firestorm, because it sounds sneaky and conflicted to me. You could just swap the two tracks between the characters, in fact.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Demarquis wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:52 pm
While, in general, I think your taste in music rocks (seriously, I could drive across country with these tracks), I actually think that the "Break of Reality" piece works better for Tempo than Firestorm, because it sounds sneaky and conflicted to me. You could just swap the two tracks between the characters, in fact.

Hahaha! Thanks.

1.There is a way and there are several ways to do so... freely. I personally use a free app to just take audio or video direct from youtube. Just click and download.

From a computer there is a program called youtube-dl. Works great... but may require a little bit of typing commands if it has no GUI... at least for the computer version.
Last edited by Bamax on Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.