Page 94 - "The fleet boys don't like it when we poach ..."

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

man_of_foul_tofu

Page 94 - "The fleet boys don't like it when we poach ..."

Post by man_of_foul_tofu »

A most interesting bit of character exposition here: and we are seeing a fascinating young ensign graduate with many talents & attributes, who is the sole survivor of a scout ship exploration.

Loved this page Jim, the dialogue reads really nicely and we are getting a good hint into how he works from his responses to Captain Hamilton. Panel 4's surprise works well, as does the explanation of how the scout fleet ranks within humanity's space military architecture.

I have been checking the website regularly hoping for a new page, and the notice of the new page came through the facebook page update 16 minutes ago - very excited with this page.

Random Person

Re: Page 94 - "The fleet boys don't like it when we poach ..

Post by Random Person »

I thought that the Captain's face in the last panel looked weird. I think it was the chin.
Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? It's not my department. -Wernher von Braun

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Yahoo, new page! Doesn't look like the Captain's threat was taken seriously though. Oh well, at least that Captain kept his word, after all we wouldn't have had a story if he hadn't. The only downside is that now i've got to wait another month for the next comic

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

oh I remember feeling exactly how alex felt with a superior officer, feeling i'm in trouble, but getting a compliment instead, while in the cadets.

I love alexs expression and back story.

so I guess for this kinda of mission Capt Hamilton got to hand pick his crew ?
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

javcs

Post by javcs »

NOMAD wrote:oh I remember feeling exactly how alex felt with a superior officer, feeling i'm in trouble, but getting a compliment instead, while in the cadets.

I love alexs expression and back story.

so I guess for this kinda of mission Capt Hamilton got to hand pick his crew ?
Heh.
Every reason to give the CO's on the scout mission the best possible crews, and that means handpicked personnel.
However, from Captain Hamilton's statements in the previous page, this isn't an interview prior to being assigned specifically to Bellarmine and the First Contact Mission. My understanding, bolstered by Hamilton's statements and questions in the last 3 frames on this page, is that this is an interview because Alex wanted into the Scout Corps in general, rather than specifically the First Contact Mission.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

I think I like Hamilton. His approach seems as good a way as any of getting Alex's measure.

And I like Alex well enough and all, but at the back of my mind I keep thinking of a name.

"George Brinton McClellan."

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Now I'm sad that
SpoilerShow
Hamilton died.

spoilerslolololololo
He seems like a pretty cool guy.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Awesome work as always Arioch! Keep practicing your art and getting better!

RaZ

Post by RaZ »

/happy squee!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Oh my... Of course we all know that not even a legendary captain like Hamilton can keep Alex from getting into trouble. I'm really super curious as to what Alex is going to say that isn't going to get him disqualified while still being honest enough to not flat out lie to a superior officer. (assuming he doesn't flat out lie, I guess.) :)