The vessel that destroyed Bellarmine

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Durabys

Re: The vessel that destroyed Bellarmine

Post by Durabys »

starstriker1 wrote:The only vessel in the system with a Wave-Loom device is Tempest, and she is far too large to be the 300m vessel that killed Bellarmine.

Also, in the bizarre scenario that that isn't enough evidence for you, descriptions of the Wave-Loom that I've seen (which aren't much, to be honest) described it as some type of hyper-long-range area of effect weapon... something that requires eating up ALL the energy reserves on the ship when fired, leaving the ship immobile temporarily. This makes it both inconsistent with the number of shots fired in a short time, as well as the face that there was anything left of Bellarmine after the first shot... an "area of effect beam weapon" would probably have shredded it, and we'd be short a protagonist. What we know of the pulse and plasma cannon weaponry so far paints it as MORE than enough to carve a Terran ship in half (the Umiak and Loroi were doing it to each other during the big battle).
Ok. I concede the point. :oops:

"Ancient Conspiracy" time it is then: :ugeek:

Then perhaps the Historians? They and the Basram had each a ship present during the previous battle, no?
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I'm sticking with Soia, not because there's any particular evidence, just because no one else is picking them and it could lead interesting places if I'm right.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

fredgiblet wrote:I'm sticking with Soia, not because there's any particular evidence, just because no one else is picking them and it could lead interesting places if I'm right.
Soia still around? After hundreds of thousands of years and no one seeing them?
sapere aude.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

There's a Neridi joke that the Soia were actually the grain misesa.

They're tired of being eaten.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

wait does anyone hear that,

I thick the fields of misesa are approaching my lord ( points to anyone who gets where this line was inspire from )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Trantor wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:I'm sticking with Soia, not because there's any particular evidence, just because no one else is picking them and it could lead interesting places if I'm right.
One of the things to remember is that Soia space was larger than Loroi/Umiak space is now. There's plenty of room available for the Soia to still be hanging around in some small way. Also, no one knows what happened to the Soia either. There's too much we DON'T know to discount them. Of course there's pretty much nothing at the moment to SUGGEST them, but there's not a whole lot to suggest anyone else either.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Trantor wrote:
Nobody was doing much spaceflight in that time. The Loroi only contacted other splinter worlds about a thousand years before current events. The Historians didn't suffer as much from the events of the collapse, but who knows what they've been doing and what they know. (For all we know, they are the original Soia.)

The Soia could easily still be hanging around somewhere. Or there could be other Loroi splinter worlds undetected by Loroi Union farseers...potentially more advanced, if they broke out of the long period of stagnation and restarted technological civilization earlier. Or unknown Barsam splinter worlds, with an interest in what their cousins in the Alliance are doing..

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If it was the Soia, they sure have changed a lot in the last eon. Skulking around in protoplanetary disks doesn't exactly fit their MO from ancient times, where the went wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted, in enormous mobile stellar fortresses.

Michael

Post by Michael »

i still think its an anonymous third party with an axe to grind or gets something out of the war :ugeek:
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

my guess would be the Pol, my guess that they are the secret masters of the Historians rather than a client race. of course this is speculation on my part.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Mjolnir wrote:(For all we know, they are the original Soia.)
Or a race left behind to monitor the occurrences after the "disappearance" of the Soia.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

fredgiblet wrote:
Mjolnir wrote:(For all we know, they are the original Soia.)
Or a race left behind to monitor the occurrences after the "disappearance" of the Soia.
Most. Boring. Job. Ever.

At least for the first 250 millenia. :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

manticore7 wrote:my guess would be the Pol, my guess that they are the secret masters of the Historians rather than a client race. of course this is speculation on my part.
Yes and the Pol are actually the Soia that got annoyed how they tried to create an "Infinite Empire" and in the end it crumbled like the ones before it. So they entered a 250k+ years long period of isolation out of despair - and as to prevent anyone from reckognising them *especialy a certain specie they bio-engineered previously* and subsequently bothering and annoying them - they created a specie of sentient machine-custodians, so to be immune against the exotic mental abilities of that certain bio-engineered specie of theirs, that will act as their maskirovka masqurade faces, their eyes and ears and as bodyguards and caretakers of daily tasks.

As a coup de grace this Machine race was instructed to make sure any alien race sees them just as another organic race that doesn't like to communicate with other alien races in person *making themself look like paranoid pricks or a little bit xenophobic in the process is just a bonus* and sends the so-called Avatars instead *which are in fact the actual Machines themself downloaded into a smaller "platform", but nobody needs to know that now, do they? :D* to communicate with others.

These Machines were also instructed by the surviving Soia to "act" *in the truly theatric sense of the word, to deceive everybody else what is going on* as being over-protective guardians/protectors of them and not servants and also tell everyone that asks that the Pol *the ancient biological name for the Soia,<e.g. Humans/Terrans = Homo Spaiens>* " ... are just a technologically backwards, very pacifist people we took a liking to and didn't wanted to see them destroyed by some other race with a fetish for orbital bombardment ... " so they maked them their client race.

The Machine races name ... Historians the Caretakers.

NOTE: It would explain why Arioch has the Pol as a "page-saver" after each last page he has written yet. :lol: A small hint perhaps? 8-)
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

wulfhere

Post by wulfhere »

It was almost certainly the Historians. Take a look at the third panel on Ch. 1 Page 60. Seems pretty clear that it was Historian weapon. Whether it was them or somebody they sold the tech to (that they probably shouldn't have), we'll have to wait and see.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

wulfhere wrote:Seems pretty clear that it was Historian weapon. Whether it was them or somebody they sold the tech to
or maybe it the other way around. Maybe it somebody they BUYED their weapon FROM. Maybe historian weapon aren't historian in origin after all.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

wulfhere wrote:Seems pretty clear that it was Historian weapon.

?

I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

wulfhere wrote:It was almost certainly the Historians. Take a look at the third panel on Ch. 1 Page 60. Seems pretty clear that it was Historian weapon. Whether it was them or somebody they sold the tech to (that they probably shouldn't have), we'll have to wait and see.
The closest thing to a known Historian weapon that we've seen is the Loroi weapons built using Historian assistance. But aside from the fact that we don't have a known Historian weapon to compare against, what specific identifying characteristics can you see in that panel? All I can see is that it was a beam weapon of some kind, and too powerful to be a human one.

Sanguinius

Post by Sanguinius »

Surely given Outsider's MoO inspiration the Antarians are the obvious suspects, or at least the Outsider version of the Antarians. So I suppose the real question is, who is the Outsider version of the Antarians?

Michael

Post by Michael »

did'nt know we had any
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Well the soia?

Based on the claim the loroi do. that is, they are soia descendant. they probably look like: this

It all make sense. The Soia were banished but a small group of scientist were working on a remote world (earth) trying to recreate life. They started slowly, creating fish and simple life then moved up until they made the human. At that point they were so proud of them self they said: Hey why not create a species more like us?

So they added the PK ability to a new species but since this group of scientist were mostly male, and didn't had any in a while, they started to look at the human girl. They then though: why not improve the specie we are working on to better "serve" us? So they created a hybrid between beautiful human female and a soia.

(i dont know how this end)