Suomi NPP Earth Image 2012

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Suomi NPP Earth Image 2012

Post by Arioch »

A very recent Earth image from the recently-launched polar orbiting Suomi NPP satellite. The flickr site has a full-res 8000x8000 version that's very sharp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/6760135001

Voitan

Re: Suomi NPP Earth Image 2012

Post by Voitan »

It's beautiful.

We're dragging our feet into space... :|

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Wrong side... :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

A polar orbiting weather satellite named Suomi?

As I live in northern country named Finland (Suomi in our language) and that our part of space program is specializing in weather instruments, I was very "What? Why I haven't heard of this". So, name comes from Verner E. Suomi, a meteorologist at the University of Wisconsin.

I don't know if I'm more amused that disappointed. :S
Supporter of forum RPG

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Coincidences are funny like that. For instance WALTER ELIAS DISNEY is an anagram of WE ALL DESIRE SANITY.

Lovely picture.

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2ZGND1I9Q[/youtube]

Those are fantastic too.
/*
** Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser
*/

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

bunnyboy wrote:A polar orbiting weather satellite named Suomi?

As I live in northern country named Finland (Suomi in our language)...
The moment i saw the topic i was sure you would mention that. ;)

Where in Finland do you live? I ask because of the recent polar lights. Did you see them?

sapere aude.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Trantor wrote:The moment i saw the topic i was sure you would mention that. ;)
You know me well. :lol:
Where in Finland do you live? I ask because of the recent polar lights. Did you see them?
In a typical finnish city. You see only lot of spruces and clouds reflecting the city lights. :(
Supporter of forum RPG

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

bunnyboy wrote:
Trantor wrote:The moment i saw the topic i was sure you would mention that. ;)
You know me well. :lol:
bunnyboy wrote:
In a typical finnish city. You see only lot of spruces and clouds reflecting the city lights. :(
Ah, too bad.
sapere aude.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

The moment I read ... "Suomi sattelite" ... I went "WTF? Does not Suomi means Finland in Finnish!?". I had a good laugh. :lol:

BTW, gorgerous pic Arioch! 8-) We need more of those to remind us that we live on such insignificant mudball - we need to look to the stars for our questions but also answers! ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Trantor wrote:Wrong side... :mrgreen:
totally, we should be abel to see the greatest country on earth!! Britain!! :D
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

It's kinda sad when an American remembers that Britain is the name of an island, but an Englishman doesn't. Did you mean Great Britain?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Absalom wrote:It's kinda sad when an American remembers that Britain is the name of an island, but an Englishman doesn't. Did you mean Great Britain?
And America is the name of a continent. But I'll sock anyone in the mouth who tries to tell me I can't also call my country by that name.

Let's please not lecture a Brit on what he should call his own country, okay?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Michael wrote:
You´re all wrong. 8-)

There´s only one country with no general speed limit... :mrgreen:

(I´m pretty sure Michael just misspelled a little...)
sapere aude.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Trantor wrote:
Michael wrote:
You´re all wrong. 8-)

There´s only one country with no general speed limit... :mrgreen:

(I´m pretty sure Michael just misspelled a little...)
its true, my laptop had to be reset to factory for it to work, i still need to put a dictionary on my firefox to offset the dyslecsia
(your gonna have to google that for the right spelling, ahh dyslexsia((that might actually be right)), the only illness where the person with it can't spell it! well unless you have a phobia of long words, since thats something like the 2nd longest in the dictionary)

Absalom wrote:It's kinda sad when an American remembers that Britain is the name of an island, but an Englishman doesn't. Did you mean Great Britain?
also, the name of the country is actually England, one of four countrys in the UK, England, Wales, Scoutland and Northern ireland, "Great Britain" or "Britain" is the island. ( :D silly American, trying to prove the British wrong :D)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

EDIT: hang on a min! (cant spell the whole word, surprise, surprise) i just got that colord words and no speed limit thing, tou can't possibly mean Deutschland and the Autobane?!?!?(sorry if thats wrong)
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Michael wrote:
Trantor wrote:(I´m pretty sure Michael just misspelled a little...)
its true, my laptop had to be reset to factory for it to work, i still need to put a dictionary on my firefox to offset the dyslecsia
(your gonna have to google that for the right spelling, ahh dyslexsia((that might actually be right)), the only illness where the person with it can't spell it! well unless you have a phobia of long words, since thats something like the 2nd longest in the dictionary)
Whoa! I was not hitting on your spelling/grammar, no worries!
The phrase "I´m pretty sure xxx misspelled yyy a little..." is a corny joke, here with yyy = Germany, only without direct mentioning.
;)

Michael wrote:EDIT: hang on a min! (cant spell the whole word, surprise, surprise) i just got that colord words and no speed limit thing, tou can't possibly mean Deutschland and the Autobane?!?!?(sorry if thats wrong)
Oh, wee do not only haff ze Autobahn, we alzo haff Sauerkraut und Würstl!
:mrgreen:
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Your all wrong, i found the best place in the world. and i shall call it "planet Bob"

Michael

Post by Michael »

Trantor wrote:
Michael wrote:
Trantor wrote:(I´m pretty sure Michael just misspelled a little...)
Whoa! I was not hitting on your spelling/grammar, no worries!
The phrase "I´m pretty sure xxx misspelled yyy a little..." is a corny joke, here with yyy = Germany, only without direct mentioning.
;)

Michael wrote:EDIT: hang on a min! (cant spell the whole word, surprise, surprise) i just got that colord words and no speed limit thing, tou can't possibly mean Deutschland and the Autobane?!?!?(sorry if thats wrong)
Oh, wee do not only haff ze Autobahn, we alzo haff Sauerkraut und Würstl!
:mrgreen:
:D

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

hmm, in my opinion to find the best place IN the world, we'd need to forget about countries and start digging deeper (pun intended)
I happen to know of a little known cave system that is curiously enough fed by a hot water spring that flows down into a natural pool that is about the right temperature for bathing (i think 39oc) while having a natural opening upwards to allow sufficient airflow to get rid of stifling humidity while still retaining the warmth of the air being warmed as it flows into the cave. The difficulty of doing this yourself would make it very impressive, the fact it's natural aside from their forcing open the entrance to be a person sized rather than a crack you squeeze through? I can't imagine how many others in the world there could be.

It's on private land, and rather exclusive in terms of who it lets access (as in you have to know the guys who have it to be allowed in, you can't even PAY to get in), but in my opinion it's one of the awesomest places to be inside the earth.
I haven't been in, I don't even know where aside from it being near a certain town, because I have only received second hand information about it (although I could just ask the person who told me more... tempting), but I personally think it sounds pretty sweet place to be. ^_^

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

News from Suomi NPP:

"Black Marble"

Still wrong side, beautiful though.
sapere aude.