Page 97

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Ktrain

Re: Page 97

Post by Ktrain »

Durabys wrote:So if humanity declares clearly that they are joining the Loroi side and ally with them and help them with their industry and military - will the Loroi, after the war is finished, still attempt to screw us over? That is the most important question of the day, ladies and gentlmen.
Bow Chicka Wow wow.

Well the best case scenario would be a Loroi Empire which wins and is so brutalized/devastated by the war that they are unable to maintain control over the Union. (Nissek, Basaram and other groups start asserting more influence.) Under such a scenario, humanity might have room to expand and maintain independence (if we align ourselves with the correct parties.)
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

The most likely answer is no. As Arioch stated, the Loroi tend towards isolationism rather than expansionism.

The most likely result of a Loroi Victory with humanity on their side will be a terse and distant relationship. They'll send a few of their misfits and Xenophiles our way and keep up some pretense of formal contact, but by and large they'll mind their own business and try not to entangle themselves in galactic affairs. Worst case scenario has them simply walling themselves off and blowing up anyone straying too far into their territory after being politely told to fuck off or die.

Unless humanity does something royally stupid like piss the Loroi off. We know what happens then.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Razor One wrote:We know what happens then.

Snusnu?

EDIT: Angry Snusnu? Even better!
Ashrain is best rain.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Razor One wrote:The most likely result of a Loroi Victory with humanity on their side will be a terse and distant relationship. They'll send a few of their misfits and Xenophiles our way and keep up some pretense of formal contact, but by and large they'll mind their own business and try not to entangle themselves in galactic affairs.
With our resemblance there´s maybe more in it.
Count Casimir wrote:Snusnu?
Maybe. :D (Or should i say "hopefully"?) 8-)
Razor One wrote:Unless humanity does something royally stupid like piss the Loroi off.
So i hope they won´t clone our current foreign minister and send him there... :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

junk

Post by junk »

Ktrain wrote:
Durabys wrote:So if humanity declares clearly that they are joining the Loroi side and ally with them and help them with their industry and military - will the Loroi, after the war is finished, still attempt to screw us over? That is the most important question of the day, ladies and gentlmen.
Bow Chicka Wow wow.

Well the best case scenario would be a Loroi Empire which wins and is so brutalized/devastated by the war that they are unable to maintain control over the Union. (Nissek, Basaram and other groups start asserting more influence.) Under such a scenario, humanity might have room to expand and maintain independence (if we align ourselves with the correct parties.)
Well I get the impression that Loroi might get nervous from one important fact. It seems that humans are better at population booming than the loroi are. Probably in part due to their cultural|very spartan (or in this case amazon) upbringing with the ship units and all. Feels they aren't exactly build into the same population explosions that we are.

What was it recently? That we hit 7 billion? Now imagine that population power spreading out to other planets. You have a species very similar to loroi, a species that is historically warlike and probably will continue to be so in the future, a species with a biological prospect for some xenophobia, with booming population and quickly growing technology base.

There's actually things to be concerned over in that.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Hm...
Umiak expansionist and not-nice to union memers.
Loroi isolationist and nice to union-members.

Every new snippet of info paints the Loroi better and better and Umiak worse and worse.

Not that it matters ultimatively. You know most of us would go for hot space-elves regardless.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote: Such are the spoils of war.
"Spoils of war" by way means goods obtained by looting. I think you may have meant something else.
Erm... yes, you're right. Meant more something like the "sways of war" or "ways of war".

And thanks as well for the clarification in your previous post.
fredgiblet wrote:Regarding propaganda, I think you vastly over-value it. Unaligned races are very unlikely to encounter both species at the same time, if they are encountered first by the Umiak then they will, one way or another, join the Umiak. The only instance where I can see this being a serious issue is if both sides encounter a race that's too strong to cow at the same time. On the flip side, if the Loroi successfully execute an offensive the Umiak vassals that are aware of the genocide will take the Loroi very seriously when they say "surrender or else".
I bet ya the Umiak wouldn't even leave the option of surrender open to one of their vassals so unfortunate to be the target of a Loroi offensive.
One ship a planet loaded with a bunch of nukes is all it takes to destroy all interesting stuff groundside.
junk wrote:Well I get the impression that Loroi might get nervous from one important fact. It seems that humans are better at population booming than the loroi are. Probably in part due to their cultural|very spartan (or in this case amazon) upbringing with the ship units and all. Feels they aren't exactly build into the same population explosions that we are.

What was it recently? That we hit 7 billion? Now imagine that population power spreading out to other planets. You have a species very similar to loroi, a species that is historically warlike and probably will continue to be so in the future, a species with a biological prospect for some xenophobia, with booming population and quickly growing technology base.
Not really. Loroi are actively constraining their reproduction capabilities during peacetime (restrictive access to the males and such). And their generation turn-over is at least twice as short as human's.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Trantor wrote:
Razor One wrote:The most likely result of a Loroi Victory with humanity on their side will be a terse and distant relationship. They'll send a few of their misfits and Xenophiles our way and keep up some pretense of formal contact, but by and large they'll mind their own business and try not to entangle themselves in galactic affairs.
With our resemblance there´s maybe more in it.

SNIPPET ...
Just great! :? They will be sending their versions of sexual deviants our way. :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Durabys wrote:
Trantor wrote:With our resemblance there´s maybe more in it.

SNIPPET ...
Just great! :? They will be sending their versions of sexual deviants our way. :shock:
Bring ´em on!

"Recreation Park Earth" :mrgreen:

Edit: As Beryl pointed out, Loroi males need lotsa snusnu. But how about the females? Arioch?
sapere aude.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Trantor wrote:
Durabys wrote:
Trantor wrote:With our resemblance there´s maybe more in it.

SNIPPET ...
Bring ´em on!

Edit: As Beryl pointed out, Loroi males need lotsa snusnu. But how about the females? Arioch?
I don't know Trantor but do you notice that it seems that it is precisely the opposite case for Human sexual potency then for the Loroi one. That means - theoretically/physiologically speaking - that most human women could have even a dozen males a day and be abbsolutely fine afterwards *which became an actual fact again ... because the last 8k years of rampant patriarchate have been literally beating this behaviour out of the women population until recently*. *thinks over what he just come up with ... makes phychological equations by combining the variable of Loroi males and Human females ... gears in brain screech to a halt! :shock: *

HUMAN MEN AND LOROI WOMEN! We have a massive problem incoming! :o
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Durabys wrote:So if humanity declares clearly that they are joining the Loroi side and ally with them and help them with their industry and military - will the Loroi, after the war is finished, still attempt to screw us over?
Why would they?
junk wrote:Well I get the impression that Loroi might get nervous from one important fact. It seems that humans are better at population booming than the loroi are. Probably in part due to their cultural|very spartan (or in this case amazon) upbringing with the ship units and all. Feels they aren't exactly build into the same population explosions that we are.
As was stated, Loroi are perfectly capable of breeding extremely quickly. The reason their population isn't higher is because they artificially restrict breeding to prevent massive overpopulation. Left to their own devices with no restrictions they'd probably double in population every 2 or 3 years.
TrashMan wrote:Hm...

Every new snippet of info paints the Loroi better and better and Umiak worse and worse.
Yep. But for some reason people keep pushing the Umiak. I don't see any reason to pick them over the Loroi.
Not that it matters ultimatively. You know most of us would go for hot space-elves regardless.
Even though most of us probably wouldn't be picked BY the hot space-elves. :cry:
Durabys wrote:Just great! :? They will be sending their versions of sexual deviants our way. :shock:
OH NO!!!!!!
Trantor wrote:Bring ´em on!

IIRC their sex drive is roughly similar to an average human females. Meaning they're going to usually be up for it, but they aren't going to go crazy without sex.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

fredgiblet wrote:
TrashMan wrote:Hm...

Yep. But for some reason people keep pushing the Umiak. I don't see any reason to pick them over the Loroi.
And you don't consider that problem?

Where is the moral/logical dillema if one side is a clearly superior choice?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

TrashMan wrote:Where is the moral/logical dillema if one side is a clearly superior choice?
Must there be one? If yes, must it be that one?

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

There is no must.

But grey-ish choices appeal to me more than black and white ones.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

junk wrote:Well I get the impression that Loroi might get nervous from one important fact. It seems that humans are better at population booming than the loroi are.
They can "boom" faster than us. so fast they need to limit access to males in peace time or risk overpopulation.
The problem is that human dont tend to limit themself. China/japan did and in that movie (with the bomb in the stomach and the line on the floor) too but that another story.

So if we can expend we will. That may cause concern for the loroi. (that and our more "imaginative tech curve")

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Ok, funny theory but hear me out ( or not)

could Alex nightmare have been cause by the Tempest doing a hyperspace jump

quote: insider on FLT ( it got updated)
Humans are typical in this regard and experience transitory "jump sickness" which may include: vertigo, nausea, headache, disorientation, visual and auditory hallucinations, waking dreams, and nightmares (for those already asleep).
I know Alex is feeling guilty about the bell, but the 51st could have high-tailed it back to base

just thinking ;)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Huh. Makes a lot of sense.
Ashrain is best rain.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Maybe not all the way back (yet), but probably at least partway back. That, or they've gone more or less laterally because the Umiak were between them and the jump zone for the most direct route back to Loroi space.
TF 51 has almost certainly left Naam by now - not much of a reason to stick around, and pretty much every reason not to.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

I would agree, Javcs

but probably back to their starting point for the initial interception mission, ( that defensive bastion near the Naam sector . . . Amizol IIRC ) however, given their cargo (Alex) they might have gone further behind loroi battlelines ( unless kikik-27 wasn't lying and hte loroi are now fighting blind)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD