Page 97

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Page 97

Post by fredgiblet »

Yay for nightmares!

I thought we were going to find out why he was on DC duty.

manticore7

Re: Page 97

Post by manticore7 »

nice transition back to the present. I take it Elan Kirkland's was one one of the casualties recovered from the wreck or maybe he just assumes shes dead.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

By the point that Alex got to the bridge any life-support system probably would have run out of air. Meaning that Ellen is either dead or with the Umiak.

Originally Arioch intended to have Ellen still strapped to Alex when he woke up in space, but he decided it would be too grim. While that isn't CANON, it's safe to assume she's dead until we receive evidence otherwise.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Alex´ subconsciousness speaking. Probably a part of him blames him for Ellen´s death.

Interesting: The outlining of the announcement between panel 4 and 5 is similar to those of page 96/p 4, 5 and 6, when Alex´ mind tricked him into believing to hear Ellens words.
sapere aude.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Time to guess who's waking him up! The obvious answer is Beryl, Tempo might account for the pause (surprise!), but I'm gonna say it's Fireblade just 'cause that'd be entertaining.

Time for some survivor's guilt :(
Ashrain is best rain.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Epic. Sadface.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Note to self "Never eat the fruit thing for supper."
Count Casimir wrote:Time to guess who's waking him up! The obvious answer is Beryl, Tempo might account for the pause (surprise!), but I'm gonna say it's Fireblade just 'cause that'd be entertaining.
The Beryl would call him Jardin, Fireblade would kick him up (telekinetically), Tempo should use longer sentencies, Mozin would be little bit bombastic.

My suggest:
Stillstorm, who wan't little after battle relaxion. :shock:
Though, you or anyone else will never see her with this face again.
Supporter of forum RPG

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

I suppose it could be Talon, Cloud, or an unnamed Soroin or somethin'

Also, fix'd:
bunnyboy wrote:Fireblade would kick him up (telepantically)
Ashrain is best rain.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Hmmm, looks like someone was looking over Jardin's memories and was then "interrupted" by something else, perhaps his subconscious, perhaps a ghost.

Sprawl63

Post by Sprawl63 »

Humanity: The grumpiest species in the galaxy.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Looks like Alex is going through some serious survivor's guilt.

It's probably Tempo waking him up, or at least one of her functionary's.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

'Captain'

The use of that word implies something and that is that it probably isn't Beryl who he'd have likely already informed he preferred that she use his name when speaking to him as he is unfamiliar with being called a Captain.
Such things tend to crop up quickly.

As for survivors guilt, surely it's not the only thing that's keeping him from suddenly throwing himself at the nearest attractive female form :P

Also: I notice a bed of some description.
Looking forward to the shot of the room he's in... what do they call the shot again? Placement shots or what?

Of course it WOULD be faster on the comic front to ignore such complicated images despite Arioch lovingly spending so much time enjoying designing the rooms and making them, we could hurry along the storyline with only head-shots after all.
But it would also be faster still to have static stick images for people, white backgrounds and just inserting text-boxes... and the only way to speed THAT up is to leave the entire page blank, which takes it from web-comic to a blank website with a next button <_<.

(also as mentioned in the other thread I've gotten lucky twice now :P, I'll save my next one for later, after all I don't like absurd co-incidences, nor do I like the fact I picked it accurately to be a nightmare... if I overdo it I'll spoil the pattern!)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Fotiadis_110 wrote: Looking forward to the shot of the room he's in... what do they call the shot again? Placement shots or what?
"Establishing shot."

Michael

Post by Michael »

oh, well looks like i was wrong, not flash back at all, im intrested with whats going on with Ellens face, alien much?
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Beryl referred to him as Captain up until page 90.

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

Thanks Arioch ^_^ I knew that one but kept drawing blanks.

By the way, recall how the captain dislikes Alex's 'words of honour' (page 67).
Also sent him off the bridge?
Re-reading their interview he spoke the name Umiak, and they had never mentioned WHO their enemy was.
Interesting no?
Poor guy, he's in such deep doo-doo right now :p

Edit:
Reading back through the past... I direct you to page 29... the mat is the one (or at least the same as the one) in his cell. surely they have some alternative appropriate accommodation for a diplomat? specifically, somewhat comfortable AND secure, rather than an obvious prison cell.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

By the way, recall how the captain dislikes Alex's 'words of honour' (page 67).
Also sent him off the bridge?
Re-reading their interview he spoke the name Umiak, and they had never mentioned WHO their enemy was.
Interesting no?
Poor guy, he's in such deep doo-doo right now :p
Got that info from the Orgus.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Fotiadis_110 wrote:Also: I notice a bed of some description.
Looking forward to the shot of the room he's in... what do they call the shot again? Placement shots or what?

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider_ch2.html

so no he must be in the same cell... i mean; "improvised diplomatic room"

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Michael wrote:oh, well looks like i was wrong, not flash back at all, im intrested with whats going on with Ellens face, alien much?
Strip the skin and eyes from a human.

http://www.humanbody3d.com/pmus.jpg

edit: I imagine a warrior species would be adapted to jump from sleep to alert rather quickly. A human in rem phase sleep can be quite difficult to rouse, incorporating outside stimulus into the dream. I imagine his hosts might not have been very patient, cranked the volume up with each successive attempt.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Fotiadis_110 wrote:Re-reading their interview he spoke the name Umiak, and they had never mentioned WHO their enemy was.
Interesting no?
The Loroi don't know who the Orgus are, we found out about the war from the Orgus, logically the Orgus would know about the war because of the Umiak, logically we would know the name.
surely they have some alternative appropriate accommodation for a diplomat? specifically, somewhat comfortable AND secure, rather than an obvious prison cell.
Why? Tempest isn't a diplomatic ship. If he's going to be there for a while they'll probably find something to accommodate him, possibly having him commandeering the quarters of the most junior officer or something like that.

But then the brig is a perfectly fine solution as well. It's private, probably unused, probably separate from the main living quarters so there's no random intrusions. All they would need to do is provide him with an INTERNAL door activation system and some amenities.