Page 86

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

BattleRaptor

Re: Page 86

Post by BattleRaptor »

Rosen_Ritter_1
Edit button exists for a reason.

We already know that the Waveloom is going to be fired, while the ship is disabled it will be borded, and we get to see some close combat.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

BattleRaptor wrote:We already know that the Waveloom is going to be fired
Arioch said no.
sapere aude.

BattleRaptor

Post by BattleRaptor »

really?
Ohh well.
One Wonders how they will get borded then.
They going to mozzy on over and link with a Umiak vessal for X reason or will one side take fire and be disabled.

Nathan_

Post by Nathan_ »

I think the Umiak have pieced together what happened: that the scout ship that popped out right next to their patrolling ship, and most likely next to some sort of base wasn't actually hostile as they would have to otherwise assume.

Aygar

Post by Aygar »

This - This is why I don't like the to be continued page.

--Aygar

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

The question on my mind is will Alex stay off to the side or be singled out to speak to the alien, afterall the Lorei would be very interested in his reactions to the Umiak establishing communications out of the blue like this. Considering their paranoia of Alex being an UMIAK SPY!!!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Voitan wrote:Ah, keep their pet species in their little playground, and not expose itself to the big boys?
well maybe the human were actually a "reference species" so now that they are in contact with Loroi/umiak their experimentation is at risk.

Yeah am a fan of the theory that the Historian are actually a remnant tool of the Soia
Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:It probably has to do with the fact that the Space Elves would become more powerful with full tech support.
Nerf the space elves!

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:well maybe the human were actually a "reference species" so now that they are in contact with Loroi/umiak their experimentation is at risk.
Nice paraphrase for "early discarded prototype". :mrgreen:
sapere aude.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

BattleRaptor wrote:and the CAPTAIN looks immedately at the Historian with squinted eyes.
Just a note, Tempo isn't the captain, she's the Intelligence/Diplomatic officer

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
TrashMan wrote: That would be one epic crossover. But rahter short, as teh SPESS MUHREENS would be all "Burn in the righteous flames of the Emperor, Eldar Witch!"
Altough seeing Alexes and Loroi rection to the Astates would be priceless.
Maybe not as short as you think, considering Arioch mentioned Loroi Tedai being capable of mind blasting tanks to pieces.
The Emperors Finest are not impressed by xeno psykers.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

TrashMan wrote: The Emperors Finest are not impressed by xeno psykers.
I don't think you need to be impressed by something to be killed by it ;)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Prft. Space Marines face worse foes twoce a day.

Our wards are strong. Our faith unshakable. Our armor thick...and our guns are very, very large. The might of the God Emperor shall descened upon you, filthy xeno!

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

TrashMan wrote: The Emperors Finest are not impressed by xeno psykers.
To bad about your assassins.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

You had to do it, didn't you?

Now, I'm not the one to diss the concept itself (love in WH40K...scandalous, I know!)...even the writing is passable...but the pacing of that thing was AWFULL.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

TrashMan wrote:Now, I'm not the one to diss the concept itself (love in WH40K...scandalous, I know!)...even the writing is passable...but the pacing of that thing was AWFULL.
I'm confused. It's a 4-panel comic.

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

TrashMan wrote:You had to do it, didn't you?
Yes :twisted:

Wintermute wrote:
TrashMan wrote:Now, I'm not the one to diss the concept itself (love in WH40K...scandalous, I know!)...even the writing is passable...but the pacing of that thing was AWFULL.
I'm confused. It's a 4-panel comic.
I think it's the more indepth story that /tg/ ended up writing for the illustrations that were made. I'm not sure the artist wrote that.

Some Useless Geek

Post by Some Useless Geek »

I fear that the Assassin can't fire on the Farseer because he is in lust with her far out-of-scale hooters. [ahem]

There's been some great speculation as to why the Umiak haven't just come in and clobbered the Loroi yet, but it's all exactly that -- speculation. The most likely explanation is that the Umiak want to examine the derelict Bellarmine for whatever reason.

By the way, even sitting still the Umiak fleet could wipe the floor with the 51st, seeing as how they could arrange their capital ships into pincushion and slick any attacking forces. The Umiak aren't afraid of the Loroi for any reason.

The Loroi, on the other hand, can't allow any trace of the Bellarmine or its occupants (read, "Alex") to fall into Umiak hands. The ability of the Loroi to detect the Umiak from range is the only thing keeping the bugs from stomping the elves into the dirt as it is. If the Umiak were to figure out how to stealth their craft from Loroi detection the war would be over in a week and the Loroi an extinct species in a year.
The Internet Will Never Be The Same.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:I think it's the more indepth story that /tg/ ended up writing for the illustrations that were made. I'm not sure the artist wrote that.
Ok, I was assuming he was responding to the comic. The artist of the comic did not write the story, which was a spin-off. The comic came well before the story and was drawn by Ironshrinemaiden. The author nobody knows.
Last edited by Wintermute on Thu May 12, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Some Useless Geek wrote:I fear that the Assassin can't fire on the Farseer because he is in lust with her far out-of-scale hooters. [ahem]
You know nothing of Eldar physiology, breast size equates to psychic potential in females since their breasts serve as collecting point for psychic energy. I'm fairly certain that in the new codex they are going to have rules where you can get add-on breasts to improve the psychic power of specific units.

And the best part is that that wouldn't be half as ridiculous as half of the fluff already is.

Some Useless Geek

Post by Some Useless Geek »

fredgiblet wrote:And the best part is that that wouldn't be half as ridiculous as half of the fluff already is.
A friend of mine used to do a lot of war gaming using various miniature systems. He was well into the assembling, painting, customizing, all that jazz. I watched a couple of "engagements" of the miniature type and quickly lost interest when I found out how much it cost to get into the models, the rule books, and everything needed to support war gaming under anybody's system.

RTCS games on a PC are cheap, fun, and quick. You don't have to buy add-ons just to play the game. You can play with or against other players online, or single player mission/campaign games, or player-versus-[n] computer scenarios. All for the original $40 or so for the game. That kinda money wouldn't cover one miniature set and a codex book.

But none of this comes close to good storytelling. The Outsider storyline is compelling fable at its best, with subtle and deep backstory on all the participants. Plenty of mystery to be solved and fights to be won or lost. I wear out my F5 key way too soon just waiting for updates.
The Internet Will Never Be The Same.