two questions about the Loroi Military

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: two questions about the Loroi Military

Post by Trantor »

Necroposting, YAY!
Arioch wrote:But perhaps more to the point, a powerful Unsheathed can junk most armored vehicles.
Does this work for incoming shells or warheads on plain sight, too?

Or are these objects moving too fast, since in another thread you said:
Arioch wrote:Fireblade can punch holes in armored vehicles (or anything else) by heating a location on the surface until the structure begins to fail, then applying force to the heated section. This does take several seconds, so a quicker and more effective way to disable an armored vehicle is usually to attack the crew directly.
sapere aude.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Roll down the window, I want to pop a few shots off at these Umiak slugs! :P

Seriously though, I always figured that any boarding-style action would be used as a means to show just how out of the ordinary the situation was. Since it would be very out of the ordinary, wouldn't it? Its not every day that you have an envoy from Earth trying to make first contact after all. :)

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

There is also the possibility that the small unit action that is in the offing will be Loroi vs Loroi.

Fanatics bent on keeping Alex from being revealed to the Union and thus spoiling Loroi origin myths. Prophet's Reason, Rigai Mozin, and the Historian construct may have already been the first victims of the plot.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Trantor wrote:Or are these objects moving too fast, since in another thread you said:
Arioch wrote:Fireblade can punch holes in armored vehicles (or anything else) by heating a location on the surface until the structure begins to fail, then applying force to the heated section. This does take several seconds, so a quicker and more effective way to disable an armored vehicle is usually to attack the crew directly.
In theory a shell could be deflected off course or perhaps detonated (though high-tech shells probably don't arm themselves until they're on target, so you'd have to do more than just smack it on the nose), but in practice I think this would be very difficult. Bullets are usually moving too fast to see.

VictorValor

Post by VictorValor »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
manticore7 wrote:how long do they have to maintain physical contact for a telepathic attack to work, it seemed that Fireblade needed a few minutes before she could atempt to scan Alex's mind.
Well hypothetically Fireblade was trying to do something subtle. Extract information out of a hard to read prisoner. In the middle of a fight, a Loroi warrior might only do something far more blunt, like overwhelm their senses.
While we're on the subject of Alex's interrogation. Was it as painful for Fireblade as it was for Alex?

Edit: 1/14/13

Also, which books would be necessary to run an Outsider campaign with GURPS?I know of the system but am unfamiliar with it.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Arioch wrote: In theory a shell could be deflected off course or perhaps detonated (though high-tech shells probably don't arm themselves until they're on target, so you'd have to do more than just smack it on the nose), but in practice I think this would be very difficult. Bullets are usually moving too fast to see.
How precise does one have to be with telekinesis? I mean, do you have to be aware of an object's exact position so you can pluck it away (the "hand"), or can you simply set up a telekinetic obstacle (the "wall")?
Ashrain is best rain.