This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??) 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
icekatze wrote:
And if you want to make the world a better place, then you need to realize that overcoming bias requires real effort.
...

Yes, some times people take it too far. Usually when they try to incorporate censorship into it. However, much more often I find that people who complain about Political Correctness are trying to perpetuate an immoral status quo.

So PC is the absolute truth, everything else is just bias? 8-)

To understand phenmomenas of all kinds it is often useful to have a look onto history. More specially, on the history of origins.
Google "PC", google "DWEM", and make up a mind of your own. ;)

I grew up in a world without PC, then i saw "it" being introduced into all kinds of discussions. One interesting recurring pattern was that those PC-archpriests always had an agenda, so i for myself deeply mistrust them.

icekatze wrote:
Calls for capital punishment laws for people who speak contrary to your own opinions is, quite frankly, deeply disturbing.

It´s a very sharp, two sided sword; so far you´re right.
But i can also understand discords deep frustration about politics.

_________________
sapere aude.


Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Posts: 420
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
hi hi

Quote:
So PC is the absolute truth, everything else is just bias?
I believe I already addressed this question. Lets see...
Quote:
Just because someone is being honest, doesn't mean they are telling the truth.
Oh, right. I did. Fancy that. I guess maybe you just assumed I was implying a double standard when I did in fact say no such thing?

I googled PC, got a bunch of stuff about personal computers. I googled Politically Correct and I got some information about how it was used sarcastically in the seventies, and how it was used as a pejorative by the right in their culture war nonsense. I googled DWEM, I got some urban dictionary results about some irrelevant insults. I don't see what any of those have to do with anything.

I suggest you try reading up a bit on Framing Effects


Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 am
Posts: 698
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
We are talking about President's Choice right? (disarm situation DC15 roll:d20+4 for using Humour level 2)


Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 am
Posts: 482
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
ice: not knowing the truth and actively misleading are two VERY different things, admittedly it can be difficult to see which is which from outside of the persons skull(or from the inside, considering how much double talk politicians do, it goes to reason that there is lots of double or triple think too.)
and proposing penalty for people who's job is to keep us informed so we can make informed choices actively misleading us(the public), does not seem like such a large stretch.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
icekatze wrote:
...
I googled DWEM, I got some urban dictionary results about some irrelevant insults. I don't see what any of those have to do with anything.

Your Google is broken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_white_males

HTH.

Karst45 wrote:
We are talking about President's Choice right? (disarm situation DC15 roll:d20+4 for using Humour level 2)

Humour. Rare it is these days.

_________________
sapere aude.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:38 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 am
Posts: 698
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
There plenty around, it just that people seem to seek it less than other and/or than before. (oh my god! Were all slowly becoming some old coots!)


By the way, we all come from different country/workplace/education, Don't assume someone will automatically know what your acronym mean. If i say BDI or MAFS. One will probably not know what am talking about. Even a Google search will lead to wrong result about what it is. (for those curious BDI stand for Battery Discharge Indicator and MAFS for Mass Air Flow sensor)


Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm
Posts: 179
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
Karst45 wrote:
There plenty around, it just that people seem to seek it less than other and/or than before. (oh my god! Were all slowly becoming some old coots!)


By the way, we all come from different country/workplace/education, Don't assume someone will automatically know what your acronym mean. If i say BDI or MAFS. One will probably not know what am talking about. Even a Google search will lead to wrong result about what it is. (for those curious BDI stand for Battery Discharge Indicator and MAFS for Mass Air Flow sensor)

Eh ... I'd say that technical acronyms are more likely to be understandable, at least, when used in context.

But yeah. We are turning old. Or at least feel like we are. I think the humor issue is that 'our' (loosely speaking) senses of humor, while possibly more mainstream when we were younger, has since slipped out of the mainstream.
In other words, kids these days have a crap sense of humor (from our various perspectives).


Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:29 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:04 pm
Posts: 114
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
What does this have to do with the concept characters page?


Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:44 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Posts: 420
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
hi hi

I saw the page about Dead White Males. What I failed to see was how it is relevant to this discussion, given the context of your argument. Yes, people can be insulting, and yes, sometimes they insult majority groups instead of minority groups. Just because someone is in a majority group doesn't mean you shouldn't try to be nice to them.

Politically Correct: Language, ideas, policies and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or ideologies, disability and age related contexts.

In other words, don't be a dick.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm
Posts: 179
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
Voitan wrote:
What does this have to do with the concept characters page?

Thread drift. It happens. You'll get used to it.

icekatze wrote:
In other words, don't be a dick.

Unfortunately, what does or does not constitute "being a dick" can, to an extent, depend upon one's perspective.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
icekatze wrote:
hi hi

I saw the page about Dead White Males. What I failed to see was how it is relevant to this discussion, given the context of your argument.

And you cherry-picked the quota. Lemme do some reverse cherry-picking, maybe it becomes clearer:
Trantor wrote:
To understand phenmomenas of all kinds it is often useful to have a look onto history. More specially, on the history of origins.
...

I grew up in a world without PC, then i saw "it" being introduced into all kinds of discussions. One interesting recurring pattern was that those PC-archpriests always had an agenda, so i for myself deeply mistrust them.

HTH (Hope That Helps).

icekatze wrote:
Politically Correct: Language, ideas, policies and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or ideologies, disability and age related contexts.

In other words, don't be a dick.

Please see javcs answer above. My own words would be a leetle bit less diplomatic.

_________________
sapere aude.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am
Posts: 780
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
Karst45 wrote:
By the way, we all come from different country/workplace/education, Don't assume someone will automatically know what your acronym mean. If i say BDI or MAFS. One will probably not know what am talking about. Even a Google search will lead to wrong result about what it is. (for those curious BDI stand for Battery Discharge Indicator and MAFS for Mass Air Flow sensor)

Yep, sorry for that one. "DWEM" were the first pages of hits when i switched my Google from german to english, and the context was clear (to me), so i used it without further thinking.

Oh, and BTW, after a not-so-pleasant PN(private note)-exchange with Arioch i found out that "MILF" (internal link inside, no worry) obviously has a negative connotation in the US (like almost all sex-related things obviously :roll: ) which is definitely not the case here in Germany, so i also used it without further thinking (and kind of wondered about some reactions).

If somebody felt offendend by this, i apologize.

_________________
sapere aude.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Posts: 420
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
hi hi

My point is that people are going to have different opinions on things, but if you don't even try, you're not going to succeed. From the opponents perspective, PC means censorship, and I agree that censorship isn't right, but thats not what everyone means by the term.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm
Posts: 179
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
Trantor wrote:
Karst45 wrote:
By the way, we all come from different country/workplace/education, Don't assume someone will automatically know what your acronym mean. If i say BDI or MAFS. One will probably not know what am talking about. Even a Google search will lead to wrong result about what it is. (for those curious BDI stand for Battery Discharge Indicator and MAFS for Mass Air Flow sensor)

Yep, sorry for that one. "DWEM" were the first pages of hits when i switched my Google from german to english, and the context was clear (to me), so i used it without further thinking.

Oh, and BTW, after a not-so-pleasant PN(private note)-exchange with Arioch i found out that "MILF" (internal link inside, no worry) obviously has a negative connotation in the US (like almost all sex-related things obviously :roll: ) which is definitely not the case here in Germany, so i also used it without further thinking (and kind of wondered about some reactions).

If somebody felt offendend by this, i apologize.

Eh ... I blame the FCC and the rest of the Feds. But mainly the conservative jaggalodons that are simultaneously opposed to government involvement in any- and every-thing and yet push for more government control over what people are and/or are not allowed to do, say, see, feel, etc.


Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm
Posts: 1374
Location: San Jose, CA
Post Re: WIP - concept characters page (spoilers ??)
I would appreciate it, Trantor, if you would not put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the MILF comment.

This conversation has nothing to do with with the topic of the thread, or the first or second digression of the thread, and it certainly has nothing to do with Outsider.

If you want to have pissing contests over your pet political peeves, do it somewhere else.

_________________
Outsider


Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.