Insider, Updates

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

daelyte

Re: Insider, Updates

Post by daelyte »

Arioch wrote: Predatory species often have eyes facing forward (rather than to the sides) to give them stereo vision and depth perception. Having eyes spaced widely apart actually aids in stereo vision, as long as they're still able to face forward.
Eyes spaced widely apart can also cause a large blind spot, but the Delrias also have a pretty flat face so it might balance out. The Morat might have more of a problem.
Arioch wrote: Though they are based on archetypes, I have tried to take the various races in unusual directions, where possible. In many SF milieus, the "furry aliens" are very obvious cat analogues, so I tried to make the Delrias/Morat a little bit different. I toyed with the idea of giving them horns, but decided that an extra pair of ears gave a similar look. And I don't know of any Earth predators with horns; they seem to be an exclusively herbivorous feature.
Carnotaurus had horns, but it's pretty unusual. Normally, predators probably wouldn't need horns since they can use the same "weapons" for offense and defense.

I like what you did with the Barsam.

Let me know if you'd like some help designing different but plausible aliens.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

daelyte wrote:@Jericho:
In reality, a particle beam would indeed have shorter range than a laser, unless the lasers are low quality/intensity.

In the Outsider universe, the solution is Applied Phebotinum:
"At higher tech levels, I presume ways are found to substantially extend blaster range; I imagine a sort of particle helix, where opposed "braids" of particles of opposite charge loop around each other, keeping the beam focused for extended distances. Assuming that this sort of configuration could extend effective ranges out to about half a light-second, the blaster would replace the laser as the standard anti-ship beam weapon."

The same goes for plasma weapons:
"The idea behind the plasma focus (or plasma beam) is that you have some mechanism for focusing high-energy plasma into a tight beam over very long distances. I imagine some sort of "carrier wave" that accomplishes this long-range cohesion... here we're talking pretty high tech, even for the aliens, so only the Umiak and Historians have really mastered this technique."
Ah... thanks for clearing that up.

Here's another question: Can the umiak extend the range of their weapons to match the loroi's at the expense of higher damage.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

Jericho wrote:Here's another question: Can the umiak extend the range of their weapons to match the loroi's at the expense of higher damage.
I suspect not, the Umiak are described as using a different method of focusing to the Loroi/Historian tech so the range limit is likely an inherent weakness of their method.

Also if they could I imagine they would already do so, their current fleet tactics seem so heavily dominated by the range deficit that such a simple solution would surely be implement even if only for some weapons.

Nick

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

captainsmirk wrote:
Jericho wrote:Here's another question: Can the umiak extend the range of their weapons to match the loroi's at the expense of higher damage.
I suspect not, the Umiak are described as using a different method of focusing to the Loroi/Historian tech so the range limit is likely an inherent weakness of their method.

Also if they could I imagine they would already do so, their current fleet tactics seem so heavily dominated by the range deficit that such a simple solution would surely be implement even if only for some weapons.

Nick
That would be a logical assumption.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

daelyte

Post by daelyte »

Jericho wrote: Here's another question: Can the umiak extend the range of their weapons to match the loroi's at the expense of higher damage.
Lasers and particle beams don't work that way.

They could increase the effective range by increasing the power of the weapons, but it would take a lot more energy for not much improvement in range. I'm sure they're already using the biggest weapons that their ships can power, there's little reason not to.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Just one thing about the delrias and morat.

How do they sound?

When i think about their voice i keep hearing some rather raspy and snorting sound in my head or something along the like of a gruffer and more bulky turian voice.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Jericho wrote:Just one thing about the delrias and morat.

How do they sound?
I'd say, like a Kzin (from Larry Niven's Known Space novels).

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

hey here's a question, do the Loroi have anything resembling retirement? during a war they probably don't worry about retirement that much. But what do they do when soldiers get too old or wounded to fight, give'em a new title, a desk job and no responsiblities?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Loroi don't age like humans do, so "too old to fight" probably won't enter into the equation very much.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

given what is up on the insider page: I think a loroi would serve until the serious aging process begins ( IE around 390 or so )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Time isn't only thing which ages. I thing wounds and stress incapacite more soldiers than reaching big numbers of years.
Supporter of forum RPG

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

so what would be the upper limit ( or would their be one) 200's, 250's

still storm has been at war for over 25 years and she still going strong ( i think)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

NOMAD wrote:so what would be the upper limit ( or would their be one) 200's, 250's

still storm has been at war for over 25 years and she still going strong ( i think)
That's a scary thought, considering that a typical human with only a few years of combat experience tends to be a formidable opponent. a race where Soldier could spend 50=75 years in service much less one hundred or more would lead to individuals with some serious combat potential.

However, Assuming a high attrition rate, extreme likelihood of being disabled or severely wound though the number of Soldiers who could survive and still be in action after 25-50 years would be fairly low.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:Can the umiak extend the range of their weapons to match the loroi's at the expense of higher damage.
In a manner of speaking; the Umiak have an extended-range version of the plasma focus (the MR) that does less basic damage but over a longer range.
CaptainChaos wrote:hey here's a question, do the Loroi have anything resembling retirement? during a war they probably don't worry about retirement that much. But what do they do when soldiers get too old or wounded to fight, give'em a new title, a desk job and no responsiblities?
Loroi warriors don't generally ever leave the warrior class (unless they are discharged dishonorably), and so "retirement" is generally being transferred to a desk job. If she becomes mentally incompetent or infirm, then she is placed into the military health care system, where either she will be restored to health and active status, or else she will be cared for until she dies.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Arioch wrote: If she becomes mentally incompetent or infirm, then she is placed into the military health care system, where either she will be restored to health and active status, or else she will be cared for until she dies.
Which of course doesn't necessarily means of natural causes. If it does i'm sure someone can find a way around it (it is very natural to die from a bullet in the head) :twisted: .

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

One question about the barsam.

How fast is their regeneration?

Are talking about a few hours or days (depending on the injury of course)?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:One question about the barsam. How fast is their regeneration? Are talking about a few hours or days (depending on the injury of course)?
Days.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Arioch.

Ok first: nice sketch (or how you'd call it) on the umiak physique. Is that a new thing you added in the update cause i don't remember it from before?

Second: is that tail used for balance or could it be a weapon perhaps (or both)? I imagine it being used sort of like a scorpion tail with appropriate genetic and cybernetic modification. Could be useful in hand to hand if you lock the opponents arms.

Third: will we be seeing a full bodied umiak at one point or even a hard trooper? I know ground engagements are almost unheard of and i don't see them attacking a loroi ship guarded by teidar caste members (i think they are tolerant of losses but not of certain failure). So perhaps in a flashback?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Hel-lo. Nice.

And this made my day :D :
sapere aude.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:nice sketch (or how you'd call it) on the umiak physique. Is that a new thing you added in the update cause i don't remember it from before?
Thanks. It was added on 1/8.
Jericho wrote:Second: is that tail used for balance or could it be a weapon perhaps (or both)?
It's for balance. I don't think it's long enough to make a very effective weapon.
Jericho wrote:Third: will we be seeing a full bodied umiak at one point or even a hard trooper?
Yes and yes.