Insider, Updates

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: Insider, Updates

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:
Trantor wrote:Ok, so far for the range. Are the damage numbers right, at least?
Are you implying that the range numbers aren't right?
Still filled with hatred against me? Hossa.
No, i was satisfied with your answer, and just wanted to know if i got the damage-numbers right.
sapere aude.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:Will we ever see the wave loom fire
Yes, certainly.
Trantor wrote: No, i was satisfied with your answer, and just wanted to know if i got the damage-numbers right.
I was just trying to understand the question; it sounded as if you were asking if the listed Wave-Loom damage numbers were right.

I don't currently have a satisfactory working mathematical model about how to resolve damage against defenses, so I don't have a precise answer on what the damage would be. But conceptually, yes, a Wave-Loom should have the potential to seriously damage a superheavy.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Arioch wrote:Yes, certainly.
:twisted: FIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREIT
FIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREITFIREIT
FIREITFIREITFIREIT :twisted:
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Fire!

*waits five minutes*

Repeat!

*waits ten minutes*

Repeat!

*waits twenty minutes*

Repeat!

...Someone go check if they're dead!
Don't delay, join today!

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Here's just a few questions.

First: What inspired the Delrias and Morat? Cause i keep thinking they look like sombody crossed a goat with a perticular aggresive cat.

Second: Why do the Delrias have eyes so far apart? Wouldnt a strictly carnivirous species (who most likely are a predetory species) have eyes closer to the center of the face.

Thirdly: I know MoO2 is a great inspiration for this comic. Am I correct in assuming that the Barsam and Nibiren are based on the random indigenous populations that you can encounter in MoO2?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Jericho wrote:Thirdly: I know MoO2 is a great inspiration for this comic. Am I correct in assuming that the Barsam and Nibiren are based on the random indigenous populations that you can encounter in MoO2?
They remind me of the Bulrathi race in MoO 2.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:Second: Why do the Delrias have eyes so far apart? Wouldnt a strictly carnivirous species (who most likely are a predetory species) have eyes closer to the center of the face.
Predatory species often have eyes facing forward (rather than to the sides) to give them stereo vision and depth perception. Having eyes spaced widely apart actually aids in stereo vision, as long as they're still able to face forward.
Jericho wrote:What inspired the Delrias and Morat? Cause i keep thinking they look like sombody crossed a goat with a perticular aggresive cat. I know MoO2 is a great inspiration for this comic. Am I correct in assuming that the Barsam and Nibiren are based on the random indigenous populations that you can encounter in MoO2?
The strategic scenario in Outsider is based on an amalgam of several different MOO1 and MOO2 playthroughs, so nearly all the Outsider races fill a "slot" that was represented by one of the racial archetypes from MOO. Some are relatively obvious: humans, telepathic space elves, bug aliens, lizard aliens, aquatic aliens, high-tech brainy aliens. Some may be slightly less obvious: furry cat-like aliens, downy bird-like aliens, mercantile aliens, big brawny aliens, hostile-environment aliens. And then a few are not obvious at all: the Meklar slot was filled by the Mannadi, whose only similarity is that they both start with the letter "M". I think the only MOO2 race without an Outsider counterpart is the Darloks (the spy aliens), who weren't in any of the playthroughs in question. And yes, even the Nibiren are based on the primitive indigenous populations occasionally found on planets (who could only be assigned to farming, and not production or research). MOO2 was an amazing game.

Though they are based on archetypes, I have tried to take the various races in unusual directions, where possible. In many SF milieus, the "furry aliens" are very obvious cat analogues, so I tried to make the Delrias/Morat a little bit different. I toyed with the idea of giving them horns, but decided that an extra pair of ears gave a similar look. And I don't know of any Earth predators with horns; they seem to be an exclusively herbivorous feature.

Mali

Post by Mali »

And I thought that historians are darloks with creative (and those popsilosomething are trilarians with creative).

My question (I'm new here, so i didn't read much of the forum yet): Were youre elerians custom prepared? I thought to myself, that if loroi were in Moo2, they probably get:

+warlord
+telepathic
+dictatorship (in the insider it was writen, that they were feudal, but there was this coup and now loroi union is an empire)
+artifact homeworld (insider mentions some ruins of Soia)

I would like to get more info on civilian side of Loroi. Will the civilian guilds and their members be featured in Outsider story?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I used the stock Elerians. If memory serves, they were:

+20% offense
+25% defense
Telepathic
Omniscient
Feudal (cheaper ships, slower research)
Mali wrote:I would like to get more info on civilian side of Loroi. Will the civilian guilds and their members be featured in Outsider story?
I think the males and the Farseer are the only civilians that we are likely to meet in the story.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

BTW (sorry if somebody asked that before), but is Alex himself inspired by one of the MoO2 heroes - the human blond one whose name starts with "J"? :)

Mali

Post by Mali »

Victor_D wrote:BTW (sorry if somebody asked that before), but is Alex himself inspired by one of the MoO2 heroes - the human blond one whose name starts with "J"? :)
Well Tempo is elerian spy, Beryl elrian scientist, Fireblade elerian solider and some of command (i belive they were called Torrai) have elrian ambasador influance in them.

Omscient? Really? So they should have known real size and colony count of the umiak state. Heck, they would have known about humanity long before they even rejoined the splinter colonys!

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Mali wrote:Omscient? Really? So they should have known real size and colony count of the umiak state. Heck, they would have known about humanity long before they even rejoined the splinter colonys!
Humans are resistant to telepathy :D.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Jericho wrote:Humans are resistant to telepathy :D.
True, but no one can resist telepanty.
Supporter of forum RPG

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

bunnyboy wrote:
Jericho wrote:Humans are resistant to telepathy :D.
True, but no one can resist telepanty.
That depends on what exactly we are resisiting.

Resist the urge to drool over them.

Or resist the urge to wear them.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Victor_D wrote:They remind me of the Bulrathi race in MoO 2.
The teddybears, no way :D .

Mali

Post by Mali »

Jericho wrote:
Mali wrote:Omscient? Really? So they should have known real size and colony count of the umiak state. Heck, they would have known about humanity long before they even rejoined the splinter colonys!
Humans are resistant to telepathy :D.
But what about monkeys and delphins? :D

Point taken.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Mali wrote:But what about monkeys and delphins? :D
Monkeys don't have sofisticated minds enough to produce a signal that the loroi can detect (or something like that).

And you be quiet about the dolphins. Thats classified information, how the hell do you think we accelerated our technology so fast, smart humans? Nuh uh, dolphins DOLPHINS all the way

muhahaha :twisted:.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Mali wrote:But what about monkeys and delphins? :D
Ants. As i once said, telepathic ants = earth, loudest place in the universe.
sapere aude.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Explain to me cause i'm not a physicist.

Just how does it work that a particle beam has longer range than a laser when charged particles spread faster than photons? Why lasers have shorter range than particle beam weapons?

Also it's mentioned that light is harder to corral back in to a tight beam, how come somehow easier with charged particles?

daelyte

Post by daelyte »

@Jericho:
In reality, a particle beam would indeed have shorter range than a laser, unless the lasers are low quality/intensity.

In the Outsider universe, the solution is Applied Phebotinum:
"At higher tech levels, I presume ways are found to substantially extend blaster range; I imagine a sort of particle helix, where opposed "braids" of particles of opposite charge loop around each other, keeping the beam focused for extended distances. Assuming that this sort of configuration could extend effective ranges out to about half a light-second, the blaster would replace the laser as the standard anti-ship beam weapon."

The same goes for plasma weapons:
"The idea behind the plasma focus (or plasma beam) is that you have some mechanism for focusing high-energy plasma into a tight beam over very long distances. I imagine some sort of "carrier wave" that accomplishes this long-range cohesion... here we're talking pretty high tech, even for the aliens, so only the Umiak and Historians have really mastered this technique."