Some questions about outsider

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

yoman

Some questions about outsider

Post by yoman »

Hi. I really like your comic. And I have some questions about it.

1. Before I starterted reading , I saw pages 47 and 72, and expected some other mautre plot development. Should I get my hopes high about it?

2.Do you do comissions now? And if do, I commision something more provoking then Valentine art?

Keep up a good job, with comic

fredgiblet

Re: Some questions about outsider

Post by fredgiblet »

1. It's probably not going to happen for some time if it does. And depending on exactly what you're asking Outsider is rated PG-13 so it'll be a fade-to-black if it happens.

2. Arioch has done work for money, but to the best of my knowledge he doesn't do commissions (though obviously he will need to give the final answer for that). As for the Valentine's thing he occasionally makes fan-service pin-ups on holidays, it's not a commission.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

PG-13 is the age rating? Why did need it? Especially on the Internet.

But Outsider don't need it, builted on hints and subtexts story is much more interesting. I don't think so we can expect something a little more light erotic. But all can draw beautifully and without vulgarity - just need inspiration. Does he agree make such art or placement of fanart here - I do not know his politic.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I don't think it's a good idea to specify exactly what's going to happen in the comic, but the PG-13 standard is a fair guideline to follow. Though it's fair to say that you can get away with an awful lot in a PG-13 movie. But if by "mature" you mean "adult," as in explicit depictions of sex, then no... you shouldn't be getting your hopes up.

I have done and will do work on commission, though I'm currently a bit backlogged in this area. And though I don't have any issues drawing nudity or "provoking" images, if what's being asked for is an explicit nude image of Outsider characters, that's something I would be hesitant to do, and would require some thought. But if you're still interested, contact me via email at arioch@well-of-souls.com or via private message on the forum.
Alexandr Koori wrote:PG-13 is the age rating? Why did need it? Especially on the Internet.
It's not required, but I think it's fair to warn readers what to expect (and parents especially). I once received an email from a father who was reading Outsider to his kid, and he mentioned that he'd covered up some of the curse words with his hand as he was reading. It hadn't even occurred to me until he mentioned it that I had used any curse words... that's how frequently I curse in real life. Anyhow, I decided that it was reasonable to put a short description of the rating on the top of the front page... the wording of which is actually copied that used for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Arioch wrote:I once received an email from a father who was reading Outsider to his kid, and he mentioned that he'd covered up some of the curse words with his hand as he was reading. It hadn't even occurred to me until he mentioned it that I had used any curse words... that's how frequently I curse in real life.
Hah! I didn't even realize Outsider had curse words in it until I read this.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Wintermute wrote:
Arioch wrote:I once received an email from a father who was reading Outsider to his kid, and he mentioned that he'd covered up some of the curse words with his hand as he was reading. It hadn't even occurred to me until he mentioned it that I had used any curse words... that's how frequently I curse in real life.
Wait. Outsider has curse words in it?

pinheadh78

Post by pinheadh78 »

javcs wrote:
Wintermute wrote:
Wait. Outsider has curse words in it?
HAHAHA As soon as I read that I had to go back and re-read it. So far I count pages 8 and 11 in the prolog but I haven't gotten to the main chapters yet.

javcs

Post by javcs »

pinheadh78 wrote:[quote="javcs"[quote="Wintermute"[quote="Arioch"I once received an email from a father who was reading Outsider to his kid, and he mentioned that he'd covered up some of the curse words with his hand as he was reading. It hadn't even occurred to me until he mentioned it that I had used any curse words... that's how frequently I curse in real life.[/quote

Hah! I didn't even realize Outsider had curse words in it until I read this.[/quote
Wait. Outsider has curse words in it?[/quote

HAHAHA As soon as I read that I had to go back and re-read it. So far I count pages 8 and 11 in the prolog but I haven't gotten to the main chapters yet.
I just went through the entire series, not counting title pages (for some reason none of the images show on my browser, so I have to go to the gallery address).
The only things that could possibly count as curse words are "damn", "hell", and "bastard(s)"; they're all in the prologue.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Those are considered curse words?

Suddenly all the casual and easygoing conversations I have with friends are cast in a very different light.

Fuck 'em. :P :twisted:
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

javcs wrote:The only things that could possibly count as curse words are "damn", "hell", and "bastard(s)"; they're all in the prologue.
How about "shit"? ;)

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Crazy US. Killing entire crews in a war story (!) is ok, but "curses" and underpanties are poo-poo.

Glad to live in ol´ Yurop. :D
sapere aude.

javcs

Post by javcs »

GeoModder wrote:
javcs wrote:The only things that could possibly count as curse words are "damn", "hell", and "bastard(s)"; they're all in the prologue.
How about "shit"? ;)
I don't remember seeing "shit" being used.

Still, at worst, they're barely baby curse words. And they're used all of what? A grand total of maybe 8 times in the entire comic to date?
Actually, I think 8 is an overstatement.

The curse words thing isn't the issue. I think that Outsider is far more likely to be not kid-friendly by way of the violence, and implied sexiness.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

javcs wrote:
GeoModder wrote:How about "shit"? ;)

;)
sapere aude.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Trantor wrote:Crazy US. Killing entire crews in a war story (!) is ok, but "curses" and underpanties are poo-poo.

Murdering hundreds of people in amusingly violent ways = perfectly fine
half-second glimpse of a nipple = pitchforks and torches

AMERICA!

javcs

Post by javcs »

Trantor wrote:
javcs wrote:
GeoModder wrote:How about "shit"? ;)

;)
/facepalm
Dammit. I had that the first time, then it went and lost it on me.
fredgiblet wrote:
Trantor wrote:Crazy US. Killing entire crews in a war story (!) is ok, but "curses" and underpanties are poo-poo.

Murdering hundreds of people in amusingly violent ways = perfectly fine
half-second glimpse of a nipple = pitchforks and torches

AMERICA!
Yep. Pretty much.
Terrible hypocrisy. Violence and gore is okay, but the minute anything gets remotely sexual the complaints start.
Fricking wankers. Get the hell away from my entertainment. You don't like it? Fine, don't watch/buy/play it. That's your choice. Don't try to impose your views and morals on me.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sculley and Ellen each exclaim "shit!" on pages 8 and 11, respectively. And to clarify, the father who wrote me that letter wasn't complaining, he was just relating the anecdote. Like many of you, I had to re-read the comic to find where I had put the curse words.

I agree that the violence in Outsider should be more of a concern to parents than a few curse words. And I had noticed around the same time as the aforementioned letter that a few webcomics listing sites had flagged Outsider as having violent content -- presumably because of the blood in the scene in which Alex is in his spacesuit. Violence rating are all about the depictions rather than the body count... you can destroy an entire planet full of people as long as you don't show any blood.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Arioch wrote:Sculley and Ellen each exclaim "shit!" on pages 8 and 11, respectively. And to clarify, the father who wrote me that letter wasn't complaining, he was just relating the anecdote. Like many of you, I had to re-read the comic to find where I had put the curse words.

I agree that the violence in Outsider should be more of a concern to parents than a few curse words. And I had noticed around the same time as the aforementioned letter that a few webcomics listing sites had flagged Outsider as having violent content -- presumably because of the blood in the scene in which Alex is in his spacesuit. Violence rating are all about the depictions rather than the body count... you can destroy an entire planet full of people as long as you don't show any blood.
I think everyone needed to re-read it for the curse words. I mean, it was barely noticeable. Also, probably unlikely to occur again anytime soon, except maybe in more Alex flashbacks, since, well, Loroi formality and such probably wouldn't include much cursing.

That was considered violent content? What the hell's the world coming to?

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the whole genocidal mindsets that are going on, and how they're more or less completely justifiable in-universe. That is, of course, if I were concerned about any of it.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

That is a serious curse in English?

javcs

Post by javcs »

Alexandr Koori wrote:That is a serious curse in English?
Nope. It's a baby curse.

Wait, that idiom might not translate well.

Saying 'shit' is a very minor curse in English.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Arioch wrote:It hadn't even occurred to me until he mentioned it that I had used any curse words... that's how frequently I curse in real life.
Some people tell me I'm vulgar. I say that's bullshit.

...sorry. Had to make that joke.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination